Taste buds a-changing!

Options
jumadey
jumadey Posts: 60 Member
Hey,

Has anyone else's taste in food changed since you started your healthy eating/weight-loss journey?

I'm a big fan of yoghurts (ski, activia etc etc) and always frowned upon greek yoghurt as...well boring. However as I've started to make changes to my diet in general i.e no added sugar to hot drinks, really watching my salt intake, etc I've found that my tolerance of sweet things has changed. Whereas now I'm loving greek yoghurt - (with honey, in my morning smoothie), I just had an Activia yoghurt and found myself saying "urgh this is toooo sweet!" Maybe my tastebuds are starting to become alive again, I don't know! It's funny, when I was younger I thought my mum was crazy for having tea without ANY sugar.

Any else had the same experience, or find yourself actually preferring the healthier alternative over time?

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    YES! I find some foods overly sweet.

Friend made some type of Mexican salad with French dressing. I could have eaten that for dessert!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yep. I also swapped to Fage greek yogurt which I eat plain, and now find flavoured yogurt too sweet. I can also now taste the sugar in vegetables, which I had not picked up on before.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    Definitely! I like to say that my taste buds are just now catching up with the rest of me in the aging process! :laugh:
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yep!! But i still need sugar in my tea.. dont think that will ever disappear, which is why i stay away from tea most days and never drink coffee haha (and to think i have 3 and a half sugars in my coffee!! - no wonder im fat lol)
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm finding that my food cravings are changing too. Instead of craving chocolate lately I've been craving almonds or wheat crisps with peanut butter. So weird!

I also have noticed that fried foods taste kinda gross now that I never eat them. And I taste when a food has been "processed." It's kind of proof that it's going to be a lifelong lifestyle, not just a temporary weight loss thing.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Seriously! I had a ripe nectarine this morning and it was like CANDY!

Amazing!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Yup, definitely! My taste buds are hypersensitive to overly salty and sweet foods now.

Makes it easier to make healthier choices though! :bigsmile:
  • jumadey
    jumadey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yup, definitely! My taste buds are hypersensitive to overly salty and sweet foods now.

Makes it easier to make healthier choices though! :bigsmile:

Most defintely!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Yes, some foods are just too salty for my taste now whereas before they weren't. I could eat a full english and not taste the salt, but if I were to have one now from a Cafe, I just wouldn't be able to handle the taste of the salt.

I just stopped adding it to my meals completely and I can actually taste food. My brother and dad on the other hand still add salt, so there taste buds are messed up. I made some meatballs a couple of weeks ago and he said he couldn't taste them. When I had the exact same meatballs, I could taste the meat, basil and the cheese that was inside.

I can actually taste veggies as well. They used to be quite tasteless, but I can actually taste them. Other foods have a hell of a lot more taste now and it's really enjoyable. Especially fish.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What the deuce? Can you guys rub some of that off on me please? I just had a salad for lunch and am currently craving something sweet. The sweeter the better! An no not fruit sweet! Plain old sugar sweet :)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Hischild! it didn't happen overnight for me. I still crave those sugar sweets. I have noticed a ton of sugar in the condiments.