Standing workspace rather than seated

Options
I've just set my desk up to be a standing desk as I work freelace from home and on my pc 7 days a week (not working 7 says, I do play a lotta games too!) as I am sure this will be better for me. What I am wondering is how many calories will this burn in an hour compared to sitting? Is there an exercise calculation for this on the site? Going to check now. Would like to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• rowenaaitken
    rowenaaitken Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok, after doing a little research this is what I came up with: http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/language/en-US/default.aspx

If I was just sitting at my desk for 7hrs i'd burn 1377cal, standing i'd burn 1477 - that's an extra 340cal A DAY just from standing while working.

I've never tried standing and drawing all day but willing to give it a go for at least a week. If not I can reduce the height of my desk back to where it was when I was seated.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    just my own opinion but i don't see how standing can burn calories as compared to sitting, unless you are dong lunges while you are standing at the computer. LOL but would be interested if anyone has any input. seems to me like simply standing vs. sitting might be better for circulation, posture and preventing fatigue, but i can't imagine it would burn calories.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ok, after doing a little research this is what I came up with: http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/language/en-US/default.aspx

If I was just sitting at my desk for 7hrs i'd burn 1377cal, standing i'd burn 1477 - that's an extra 340cal A DAY just from standing while working.

I've never tried standing and drawing all day but willing to give it a go for at least a week. If not I can reduce the height of my desk back to where it was when I was seated.

interesting, just read this after i posted. will check it out. :smile:
  • rowenaaitken
    rowenaaitken Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thought it is worth a go anyway!
  • thunderchld
    thunderchld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am dying for a standing desk. Sitting all day hurts my knees. If nothing else, standing all day (Yes, does take some getting used to) gives you mental motivation. Well, it does for me anyways.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairdresser so I'm on my feet all day. I really don't think it burns that many extra calories, but it will probably work the muscles in your legs more and you'll have nice toned legs; and varicose veins. :laugh: Make sure you maintain good posture and get some GOOD shoes.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

This is only 100 cal difference. Wrong numbers?

I don't think I could stand all day. I also can't sit all day. I need a combo.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    I can't help but notice that, according to the numbers you posted, that's only a 100 cal difference.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It makes a slight difference in activity; for me it would add about 300 or so calories to my daily limit.
    That's half a burger!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I can't help but notice that, according to the numbers you posted, that's only a 100 cal difference.

I thought I was the only one who caught this.:laugh:
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I do tech support so after running all ove rthe building for 3 hours stright I need a chair LOL however :

when I worked at a users standing desk the other day I really liked it. I could see the screen comfortably, she had like a jelly mat to stand on, and because I was standing I had better posture then slouching in a chair (I tend to slouch because I'm tall), so if I ever had to go back to sit-all-day job I would want a standing desk calories or not, it was just plain comrfortable and better for my back and eyes. Sorry this testimony is kind of based on limited experience.
    the only other thing I tried and like (it also helped with slouching) was I see some users sitting on a big rubber like pilates ball instead of a chair, and they are nice as well.

gooood luck :D
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've just set my desk up to be a standing desk as I work freelace from home and on my pc 7 days a week (not working 7 says, I do play a lotta games too!) as I am sure this will be better for me. What I am wondering is how many calories will this burn in an hour compared to sitting? Is there an exercise calculation for this on the site? Going to check now. Would like to hear your thoughts!

LOOK! Stop letting Everything be about Calories! Basically the Body is going to lose or gain wt. the way it WILL...You can calculate all you want to, the Body will Do what it Will! NOW, look at things from a HEALTHY Lifestyle point. YES standing more and also doing some Calisthenics will BE GREAT for Your HEALTH! Your Body will Love you as you age by doing that...Your Joints, especially your Hips/knees will be farrrr better off, your circulation and lower back will benefit. And a Healthy Body IS what all this is about right, NOW and in the FUTURE! Don't forget to do those Calisthenics now and then (and on the hands/arms to fight carpel tunnel).
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    pinterest had some exercises you can do while standing, so maybe look into that.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I've read more than once that sitting all day is one of the worse things for you that you can't control without a job change. I want a treadmill desk for my work, but I doubt if my company would agree to it.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the difference in calorie burn, but the ergonomist at work told me she wishes the company we work for would arrange a sit/stand option at everyone's desk. I had to have a doctors request to have my cubicle desk level elevated, and I have a tall chair that I use when I set. I find that I don't stand as often as I should, and when I kick that chair away it feels great.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I doubt it would make a difference unless you were like... Walking in place as you stood. Frankly I just love sitting down. But if it makes a difference for you, go for it. I'd just feel awkward standing.
  • Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've never seen any studies on this, but am wondering how using an under the desk peddler (a little set of bike pedals) would counteract the effects of sitting all day, if at all.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've been using a standing workstation for a couple of years. Here are some observations from my experience:

*You have to be very conscious of how you are standing if you are unable to move a lot. It's too easy to stand "in the back seat", (leaning back ever so slightly), which will keep your hips tight and is hard on your back. Thinking of standing over the arches of my feet and bone stacking helps me (straight line of head, shoulders, hips, knees, arches). Being barefoot helps this.

*It will take a while for your hips to adjust. And I'm not talking about just standing constantly with minimal movement for an hour. I'm talking about 6 hours.

*Careful to not lean to one side more than another. Stand up straight!

*Make sure your keyboard (if you use one) is positioned so that your elbows are at 90 to 95 degrees.

*Get one of those squishy kitchen mats to stand on and stand barefooted or in flat shoes.

*Drop your shoulder blades down your back and keep your elbows out of your ears. This will help keep the upper back happy.

We also have a shared walking workstation where I work (treadmill desk) and I will use it when I am on conference calls. It's a nice diversion but for me it would be tough to do all day, mostly just because the platform is very hard and makes my feet hurt (and I do a lot of running, so you know that sucker is hard)!

Once you are used to it you won't go back. Enjoy!
  • antiwings
    antiwings Posts: 34
    Options
    You could of swapped your normal office chair for a excercice ball. It wont make you burn calories but you could tone up a lot using one!
  • pshaffer23
    pshaffer23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This literally rocked my world when I read it and have since set a timer to get up and move at least twice and hour:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17sitting-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=sitting&st=cse