Break up :(

Options
Does anybody else feel its really hard to keep on track after just breaking up from a partner? I just don't feel motivated to do exercise at all, one things for sure though I'm not gonna give up all my hard work iv done already, I'm sure I'l get back to it, let's face it now is probably more of an incentive than ever before

Replies

• LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Now is the time to focus even more on you! You have all this free time now, enjoy it, join a gym if you havent already. Find a workout buddy or buddies and get INTO it! When my divorce started 2 years ago I started walking my dog as often as I could to stay busy and keep my mind off the heartbreak. Keep your head up!
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You're quite right - now IS a good time to treat yourself well. Comfort eating and slouching around will make you feel worse and then you're on a downward spiral.

When I broke up with a boyfriend I put a playlist of 'strong, I will get over this' music together and exercised to it and it made me feel much more robust and in control. Maybe a workout and a beauty treatment this weekend? Spoil yourself a bit.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i agree, id been on the diet over a year but for last 6 months my ex was not helpful. then we broke up and now im back on track and feeling good again.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Like the posters above me I agree!! Take this time for YOU!!! Mend your heart while treating it well with some love of and for yourself! Maybe this is a good time to find a new hobby/activity that you never did with that particular partner! Take care and keep your head up!
  • 7nthsign
    7nthsign Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, take up boxing or Karate. It helped me when my 20 year marriage imploded. Nothing better than beating the heck out of bag, or sparring with somene to get your aggressions out! These also made me so sore and tired that lifting my arms to grab the gallon of ice cream I so desperately wanted to comfort myself with,exhausted me!!
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else has said, this is a time for you to find yourself. If you're a member of a gym going to the classes will help. You'll interact with people and make new friends. Also, get together with friends that you may have lost touch with since being with your SO. Go hiking or go find something active to do. Stay away from the TV and ice cream and cookies. Know that you're beautiful and you will get through this.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Like Ivana Trump said so wisely, "Looking good is the best revenge." Don't let this admittedly very upsetting event distract you from your goals. You are strong and beautiful and you will not let this get power over you! :-)

Best wishes!
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    So much to say, and I hope this comes across the way I want it to and not mean!

**If you like him this much, and he is the wrong guy, think how crazy you will be about the RIGHT one.

**I find more motivation in working out after breakups, because when he (or his friends or him+ new gf) see me out, I want him to be like dang I screwed up!

**I know it is hard. Sometimes I get depressed and I don't want to leave my bed. Smile. Finding the right one is a process. It takes finding a bunch of bad ones to find a good one, so that when you have the good one, you can appreciate him!

Hang in there. Time will heal all wounds!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Like Ivana Trump said so wisely, "Looking good is the best revenge." Don't let this admittedly very upsetting event distract you from your goals. You are strong and beautiful and you will not let this get power over you! :-)

Best wishes!

Took the words right out of my mouth! So painful I know. Put that hurt, aggression, anger to good use on your work outs! Hope you are feeling better soon :flowerforyou:
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    With breaking up comes some amount of depression; exercise is a sure fire way of getting out of depression. Take care of yourself!
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    I can relate. I'm a comfort eater! When I went through a bad breakup post college, I ended up gaining 30 pounds. I still haven't quite lost it. (I'll get there.)

So... YES. I understand. Lots of people do. That said.. everyone has given some good advice. Get moving! Exercise will release endorphins and make you feel good. (Short and long term.) Sure, occasionally, let yourself have a cry, eat some good ice cream, or watch "Love Actually" or whatever it is that you need to do, but try to be disciplined about your physical health as well as your mental health.

Whatever will motivate you to hold yourself accountable, try it. Join a class; people expect you to be there! If you have an iPhone, there is that gym accountability app... if you meet your workout goals, you get money! If you don't... you have to pay. (They don't have it for Droids, or I'd be all over that.)

Once you've recovered from the breakup, you don't want to add "lose 10/20/30 more pounds" to your goals. Stay strong!
  • lostinureyes17
    lostinureyes17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Listen to Kelly Clarksons' "Stronger" and hit the gym! It's motivating and exercising really helps workout your emotions.