south beach diet is great but i have a problem!

Options
ok i started the south beach diet on Monday (with the exception of last night!..lol i had DD coffee and muffin) and its working great staying full and happy but the problem ia m having is i am getting leg cramps in the middle of the night now. two nights in a row. am i not taking in enough water? i am at 10 cups or more a day now which is about normal for me anyway. but could it be the lack of fruit in my diet or something? can someone give me a hand with this?

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Could be potassium deficiency.
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    i just read on another board where people are putting a bar of soap under the fitted sheet near their feet on the bed. no more leg cramps. might be worth a try........
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try a banana, or coconut water.....the fresher the better.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you excercising too? It might be that you need to stretch your calves more. I was a dancer for 13 years and I would frequently get middle of the night leg cramps. Try doing some stretches before bed and see if it helps.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Low calcium and/or potassium can cause those cramps. I found that out the hard way once.
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yep low potassium is most likely the culpert. Eat banana's or get some potassium pills. I have the same issues and it SUCKS!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    i just read on another board where people are putting a bar of soap under the fitted sheet near their feet on the bed. no more leg cramps. might be worth a try........

:huh: Not sure if srs.

OP, seems it would be easy to have a Potassium deficiency on South Beach. Most of your potassium from food is going to come from veggies, fruit, and dairy.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    Definite Potassium Deficiency.... check this site out... it has high potassium foods in easy measured portions :)

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options

umm my fiance's Danish grandmother swears by this. We think she's crazy but she swears by it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Try a banana, or coconut water.....the fresher the better.

Or spinach, which gives you a lot more potassium for a lot fewer calories.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    You need to track your potassium. Try banana, baked potatoes, meat, cantaloupe, tomato, yogurt are all good sources.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Definite Potassium Deficiency.... check this site out... it has high potassium foods in easy measured portions :)

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

Not necessarily. I have these and have had for the last 4-5 years and my potassium levels are on the HIGH side. No problems with low potassium for me. I think it's food related but I can't quite figure out what triggers them. I'll have none for 1-2 months and then have them every night for 7-10 days. There's no apparent pattern, no apparent cause and docs don't seem concerned at all. So go figure.

I haven't tried the soap yet but read about it a long time ago. Guess I should since it can't hurt anything, lol.
  • mrnice1058
    mrnice1058 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i am working out nothing heavy yet. basketball, baseball, and bike riding so far. i am going to start up p90x on monday. I really do think it comes down to potassium. because i am drinking water. and it only cramps at night not during sports or right after only while i am sleeping and i make a move and then boom it locks up. i am going to check out that site but i forgot about spinach i am going to text my wife now since she is out shopping to get me some spinach!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Magnesium is suppose to help with muscle cramps.
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Potassium and Magnesium.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds weird. But have you gained more muscles or fat in your llegs recently? That happened to me when my legs started getting more muscles. Also, happened when I gained more weight.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yep low potassium is most likely the culpert. Eat banana's or get some potassium pills. I have the same issues and it SUCKS!!

I agree with the potassium thing....but before taking pills, see your doctor. Too much potassium can cause other problems in your body.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It most likely is the lack of Potassium. The same thing happend to me on the SB diet. You could go right in to Phase II of SB. I read that Morton's Table salt will help as well. I have no idea if that is true though!
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    sometimes a lack of salt in your diet can give you leg cramps - my Dr told me this when I was expecting , I cut out all salts so my ankles would not swell so much - but in exchange , I got leg cramps at night !
  • mrnice1058
    mrnice1058 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds weird. But have you gained more muscles or fat in your llegs recently? That happened to me when my legs started getting more muscles. Also, happened when I gained more weight.

no sir i have big legs already my calves are very big muscle wise i use to dunk playing basketball and i use to play football one thing that has never gone away is my muscular calves