Creative suggestions for keeping and using Avacados?

Options
ctooch99
ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
I love Avacados and they are supper good for you. Was curious to know how other MFP-ers feel about them, how they incorporate them regularly into their meals and what is the best way to keep them if you don't use a whole one (mine go bad SO fast!)

Thanks peeps!

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mine go bad really fast as well unfortunately (I keep them in my fridge). I love to use them in my salad in place of salad dressing, I just mash up the avocado - yummy!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you add citrus to the avocado meat, it will preserve better due to the vitamin C of the citrus...this keeps the meat from oxidizing and turning brown and why guacamole commonly contains lime juice
    There is a lot of chemistry know how in cooking
  • kasee8
    kasee8 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm getting ready to make avocado egg salad from the skinny taste blog. It looks delish!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use avocado instead of mayo. Smash up 1 whole avocado, add in a can of albacore tuna, add in celery, bell peppers, green onions, lemon powder. Slap that stuff on whole wheat wasa crackers...YUM.

Or I just toss slices on a salmon patty, or dice one up and toss with celery, bell peppers and romaine and powdered lemon.

I cannot 'save' my avocados...I just eat a whole one. Maybe have half for lunch and the other half for dinner.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love avocados. Honestly, my favorite way to eat them is straight up with a bit of lime or lemon juice and salt. I don't know of any great trick to keeping them. The best way I've found is to keep the seed attached to the uneaten portion, rub some lemon or lime on the exposed part, ziplock, and refrigerate. I have no idea if they freeze well, but you could try that.

If you have a food processor, a really easy recipe is avocado hummus. Reserve the liquid from the beans and process up a can of garbanzo beans, 3 tbsp of tahini (or to taste), juice from 1/4 - 1/2 lemon, 3 tbsp olive oil (you can reduce this if you want less fat), 1 small avocado, and salt an pepper to taste. Then add a bit of the liquid until desired consistency. (If you can't get tahini, just use a very small amt of nut butter + extra oil. Not as good though.)

I've heard of people making smoothies with avocado. Interested in trying that at some point.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love avocados. Honestly, my favorite way to eat them is straight up with a bit of lime or lemon juice and salt. I don't know of any great trick to keeping them. The best way I've found is to keep the seed attached to the uneaten portion, rub some lemon or lime on the exposed part, ziplock, and refrigerate. I have no idea if they freeze well, but you could try that.

If you have a food processor, a really easy recipe is avocado hummus. Reserve the liquid from the beans and process up a can of garbanzo beans, 3 tbsp of tahini (or to taste), juice from 1/4 - 1/2 lemon, 3 tbsp olive oil (you can reduce this if you want less fat), 1 small avocado, and salt an pepper to taste. Then add a bit of the liquid until desired consistency. (If you can't get tahini, just use a very small amt of nut butter + extra oil. Not as good though.)

I've heard of people making smoothies with avocado. Interested in trying that at some point.

Great info - thanks - Yeah I really love them too and I want to find more ways of using them regularly. I was thinking of mashing them into a paste and using them as a spread substitute on whole wheat toast in the morning with some egg whites - I think that would be an awesome breakfast - I know I won't use a whole one for that though.