BodyMedia Fit - Sleep tracker?

Options
I have read a lot of opinions here about the BMF and I finally bought one. They have a deal going on, $99 for the advantage band plus 1 year of subscription. It's $80 off right now so, I figured what the heck. I am so eager for it to get here, the shipping cost was crazy, 12 bucks for UPS ground?! And I probably won't see it until Monday.

How does the BodyMedia Fit know when you're sleeping? Does it simply record your calorie burn differently or does it actually know that you're sleeping? I'm a little confused about that, but I suppose I'll figure it out when I get it =) Just a general curiosity.

I'm also happy to hear any reviews/opinions/tips from you BMF owners who read this =)

Replies

• Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am loving mine. I've had it about a month and it has been eye-opening as I burn WAY less calories than I thought I did. I guess some of us really do have a slow metabolism.

It also encourages me to burn more calories...which is making the scale FINALLY start moving again.

I am not sure how the sleep thing works, though it does seem to "know" when I am laying down or sleeping or not. I think it has something to do with the accelerometer thing. I think it can determine if you are horizontal or not.

Good luck with your BMF and your journey!
  • Missfitjeb
    Missfitjeb Posts: 30
    Options
    Ah! I wasn't thinking of the accelerometer part knowing if you're horizontal. That makes a lot of sense. I'm afraid that's what mine is going to say as well, that I'm not burning nearly as much I think I am. I tend to eat around 1500 and I burn about 400 to 500 with exercise (account to my dance dance revolution in-game cal counter), but the scale isn't budging. I have about 20 pounds to lose, I've read it's tougher when you have less to lose.

I'm happy to hear it is working for you and encouraging you to do more =) I am very numbers-driven so seeing it in black and white will help me a lot too I think. May I add you as a friend? =)
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I actually burn more than I thought. I don't know how the sleep tracker works, but it seems to be fairly accurate. I am loving the Body Media Fit and have lost conststantly in the 3 months that I have had it.
  • Missfitjeb
    Missfitjeb Posts: 30
    Options
    Steph1278, great feedback, thank you! I feel more and more that I won't regret my purchase =)
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    my experience is that it tells me i burn way more than i thought too. i wear mine all the time. love it. the only thing that drives me nuts is the online meal tracker. horrid food options. i track through mfp then transfer the final cals and such into one meal on bodymedia fit.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I agree I love mine and it seems to be very accurate. It tells me I sleep a lot less than I think I do :grumble:
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Mabennett-I do the same thing. MFP has a much more extensive food database.