Anyone have a good meal kids will actually eat?

Options
13»

Replies

• DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    One of my kids all time favorites it to cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into strips and coat with a little shake and bake. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. On the side we have mountains of their favorite veggies (no butter and a bit of salt/pepper) and a little bit of roasted seasoned potatoes drizzled with olive oil. Very tasty, satisfying, and healthy.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you have a countertop pancake griddle, make choose-your-own quesadillas. These make everyone happy, as the grownups can enjoy what they want, and the picky children can enjoy what they want.. Buy a package of pre-made burrito wraps. Prepare several bowls with various fillings: shredded cheese is a must, and others can include cooked black beans, onions, cut up cooked veggies, cooked spinach or mushrooms, pieces of cooked chicken, even cooked noodles, chopped tomatoes, whatever your family members like. Then heat the griddle on medium, and melt some butter on top. Place down a few burrito wraps. On each one place about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on one side. The picky child can have his with JUST cheese. On the others, put 1-2 teaspoons of whatever fillings they might like. Don't overstuff. Let the burrito wrap fry to a light golden in the butter for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted, then fold the burrito wrap over in half and let it continue to fry for about 1 minute more. Remove and serve each family member a burrito with the filling of their choice! Goes great with guacamole on the side for the grownups. Easy to make once you have the fillings prepared, but watch the hot griddle!

ooh, yummy. sounds like tonight's dinner.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I haven't had kids but when I was a kid I ate whatever my parents made me eat. Kids don't have money and they won't starve to death. Feed them like adults (minus the allergens) and if they complain then tell them they can eat when they're hungry. Eventually they'll come around.

News... kids don't always do what you tell them to.

I have three. My youngest will eat whatever's on the table. The two oldest are picky, and will gladly skip dinner and double up on breakfast the next day, if it means never eating something they don't like. My oldest is 10, and despite putting food on his plate for 10 years straight, he really has not changed in his tastes (he won't even eat hamburgers).

The only thing we can really do is put the right food in the house in aggregate.

Kids like simple things, so fancyish recipes are usually out. One recent surprise was grilled salmon. They all love it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with skipping dinner and doubling up on breakfast. If their dinner options are healthy, but so are the breakfast options and lunch options, they'll be eating healthy meals regardless of how they go about it.

As for simple things, maybe it's about expectations. My kid eats Indian food - because that's pretty much all she'll get at home. She also eats Thai food, and Vietnamese food, and Chinese food, and ... You get the picture. And she's not a particularly robust eater or anything.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the responses. But I will throw in my two cents.

Your question was: A good meal for the kids to eat?

Answer: WHATEVER I PUT ON THE TABLE. If you don't like this meal, Breakfast is at 7 am. And you're not gonna like that meal either. Why? Because it is what you wouldn't eat for dinner.

Worked well in my house. My 3 kids are 18 twins and one 19. They only draw back is: Now I can't stop them from eating.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My grandsons love any kind of fruit. I cut it up like a salad.

The 3 boys can eat a watermelon in no time flat!

I buy go gurt and freeze it and they eat it for snacks.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My kids get two choices at every meal - take it or leave it. With a chef for a daddy they've eaten things some adults will never get the chance to try. The Boy is a human garbage can. His favorites are lamb and caviar. It's cool, but so not in the budget! My daughter is a tad pickier, but she will at least try things. If she truly doesn't like it, she just makes herself cereal or a sandwich. I let them put their 2 cents in when I go to the market and they will also help in the kitchen. They are quite aware of what is healthy and we have treats now and then, too. It's all about balance.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    you can sneek veggies into smoothies especially spinach and popsicles too basically fruit and fruit juce with whatever like brocoli if its a smoothie add some milk
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options

For those that don't have kids, it is hard to just say tough you eat what I eat. They won't! It's a fight with crying and yelling and not worth it in my opinion. I slowly try to offer them new things and at least ask that they try it. Both of my kids won't eat potatoes unless it's french fries, but it hasn't stopped me from making and offering mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or roasted potatoes. They usually gag though.

"For those who don't have kids" please read this post if you ever plan on having them. It will save you a world of frustration when it comes to your child's eating habits.

I have 5 kids-ages 7,9,10,16 and 17. I raised them to eat healthfully from the start. I say they eat what I eat, and they do. If they were to "cry and yell" I would make sure they know that type of behavior is not acceptable in our home. It is *absolutely* worth it to teach our children to eat healthy. I'm not unreasonable, if a child seriously has one or two foods they really do not like, I will have them just eat a few bites of that food on the nights I make it-but if my child were to throw temper tantrums and was just being picky, i'd definitely consider it a discipline issue and not a dietary one. Giving a child their way because they throw a fit is a huge mistake and the parent will regret it later. Sometimes it is difficult to be a diligent parent, but it is never "not worth it".

I have to disagree with you on this point. I was raised to eat what's in front of me, and when my first child was born, that was absolutely my philosophy. As a baby he ate all kinds of veggies, fruit, tofu, veggie burgers, whatever. A few years later, he suddenly decided he didn't like milk, then veggies, then anything that was new or unfamiliar... I still only cook one meal, and the choice is take it or leave it, but I cannot make him eat. For drinks, he is offered milk or water, and always chooses water. I used to think of this as a discipline issue, but I have used every discipline method recommended by his pediatrician and therapists, and nothing can change this behavior, despite the success we have seen with improving other undesirable behaviors. I guess he gets full enough on breakfast & lunch that he is okay with skipping dinner. I am working with his occupational therapists to see if there is some kind of sensory issue that we can address with more therapy. And please don't be condescending to parents whose kids throw temper tantrums - you have no idea what is going on in that family.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    my 3 year old loves when i make vegetarian pizza. All i do is spread out the dough on a pan, sprinkle some garlic powder, then the mozzarella cheese, and put sliced tomatoes, red onions and some parsley on top. It tastes amazing, takes about 5 minutes of prep and my son gobbles it up

This sounds SO Yummy!!! O.O I need to try it =)
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do personal pizzas with the kids on our family nights. I buy whole wheat pitas and a bunch of nutritious toppings for them to choose from. They each make their own pizza. They get a kick out of it.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't really have picky kids. I am the one that is picky. And I WAS the type that would skip dinner if it was something I wouldn't eat.

I make pork roast in the slow cooker. Just pork, some seasoning on it usually garlic salt or season salt and a little water in the bottom of the pan.

They also like grilled chicken. It can have anything on it as long as its not too spicy. Garlic salt, barbecue seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic pepper. I can make that same chicken in the oven too if I don't feel like messing with the grill. For the grill I make it a marinade with olive oil instead of a dry rub.
  • Barbqn
    Barbqn Posts: 10
    Options
    Anything good for the grill or crockpot?

Yes!! Pioneer Woman's Dr Pepper Pork.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

I did this in the crockpot and substituted pork for boneless skinless chicken thighs. 4-6 hours
    My kids and husband LOVED it! :love: Serve it on bun or small baked potato or in taco form. So many possibilities!
    Tips: Use 1/2 of the can of peppers IF you like less spice and I suggest cutting the onions small so they are not seen once its all cooked for the picky ones.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I find that when the kids help make dinner, they eat it much better.

We were at a seminar about healthy eating for kids recently and there was some hands on for the kids. They made smoothies of bananas, strawberries, spinach, almond milk and a squirt of chocolate syrup. All of the kids loved it. The color was weird but the name of the smoothie was monster smoothie and it looked like a monster color! They also made open faced peanut butter sandwiches with fresh fruit instead of jelly. My daughter grabbed a handful of spinach and added that to her sandwich as well. Hmmm.....I would never have tried that or suggested that but it was there and she went for it.

My kids LOVE sushi! Yes, not inexpensive but they would eat it every night.

I make Rocco Despirito's mac and cheese but increase the onions and peppers. I use a whole onion and 1-2 peppers. The kids like it better than Kraft and my son believes that mac & cheese is the center of the universe.

Both of my kids love avocado.

My picky son loves fish. Yes, they have to be breaded but they are an adult-type breading (not the frozen ones) and I think that it is a good stepping stone for him.
  • Barbqn
    Barbqn Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes! I was just going to also say, have the kids pick a recipe and make or help make dinner. They tend to eat better if they helped or made it themselves.
    My husband, the kids and I all take turns making dinner...round robin thing. Last night my younger daughter, 16, is not really a fan of cooking put out items for sandwiches... cold cuts, lettuce, tomato mustard, mayo all of that. She cooked turkey bacon too. She cut up peaches and nectarines for us.
    It was delicious!