5 ft women...where do you buy jeans???

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I recently dropped a few pounds and all of my jeans are a bit too big. I am only 5 ft tall. I went shopping the other day to the usual jeans places ( Gap, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor) and nothing fit!!! Everything was too long. (And get this...Gap does not make short (ankle) jeans in a size 2. Only 4 and above I was told. Does that make any sense???? Do they think that all size two women are tall???) Anyway, I did not have so much of a problem with length in a 4 or 6, but it seems that now that I am looking for smaller jeans, they are all too long! Anyone else have this problem? Where do you find your jeans. I hate to have to spend good money on pants and then have to hem them...drives me nuts!

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Yep!! I have this problem too. Usually, I buy jeans and pants from Ann Taylor Loft and I just have to wear heels with them. I don't want to spend another 20-30 dollars to get them hemmed unless they are on sale. So, I usually just wear skirts and dresses- a lot easier.
  • lporter229
    Options
    that's where I get most of mine too. They had ZILCH last week when I was there. Maybe i need to try a different store...
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I normally buy something that fits in the waist.....or get some from my sister...we have close to the same waist size (she doesn't keep clothes very long....she wears them for about a year and then gets rid of her old clothes) ...she a little smaller around waist but taller and have them altered in the length.....costs about $10 to have them hemmed. I have done this forever.....i can occasionally find some that fit in the length in the petite section. I do the same with shirts that are long sleeve....have them altered in length..i am 5 ft. even.

San :)
  • jenism
    jenism Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    but it seems that now that I am looking for smaller jeans, they are all too long! Anyone else have this problem? Where do you find your jeans. I hate to have to spend good money on pants and then have to hem them...drives me nuts!

Story of my life. It is very rare that I'll find jeans that fit in the waist and the leg. I bought a cheaper sewing machine and learned how to do my own hemming.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I went in yesterday and they didn't have anything either. They are trying to get rid of what they have right now. You can check their website (I haven't yet, but planning too), there might be something on there. Also, try Talbots or if you don't have a store near you, you can check their website. They have a lot of nice pants and jeans, but you'll probably still have the same problem of them being too short.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Nordstroms or The Buckle, they have free alterations.
  • beccaboo0713
    Options
    I am 4'11" and I like target it new York and company for my jeans
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I shop anywhere that has "Short" or "Petite" sizes. Arizona jeans, Old Navy, JCPenny, Macy's, Rue 21, etc. It's very difficult for me to find jeans that aren't too long, so if I find some I buy like 5 pairs lol.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Levis sells short/petite sizes in a variety of "fits" for any figure :)
  • lporter229
    Options
    Nordstroms or The Buckle, they have free alterations.

Thanks for the tip. That's good to know, but at Nordstroms prices, they are still probably more expensive than buying them elsewhere and paying to have them hemmed.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies. I guess I need to look harder. I wish I liked shopping...
  • missmorninglory
    Options
    Maurices sells an extra short in a few different styles. Petite just isn't short enough for me.
  • dispy83
    dispy83 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have struggled my entire life to find jeans that were the correct length as well. I decided that I was no longer going to pass up pants that looked great on me and that I loved simply because they were too long. I finally broke down and found a place that does alterations in my area, and it's been the best investment in my clothes. No more crying in the dressing room after shopping a bajillion hours to find "short pants." They only charge me 8 bucks to hem them. I wish I was doing this years and years ago.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ross or Marshall's.

I cannot wear 'petite' clothing, it just doesn't fit right.

Used to buy at Costco, but they haven't had any Levi's or Calvin's in for a while. I also wear heels with my jeans, or I hem them myself. I've also seen the smaller alterations places in strip malls charge less for jean hemming.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Levi's has a pretty good selection of short jeans. I'm 5'1".