High Heart rate... Should I be worried?

Options
Sooo... I took my bpm today after doing my first 12 minute mile in a while, and my hr was at almost 190. I'm 20 years old, 5'7, 160(well, 162,) and in pretty good shape(considering.) My supervisor was a little worried, as was I. Is this normal? I'm planning on going into the Doctor pretty soon, but I may bump it up sooner if this is reason to be worried.

Feedback Please!

Thanks! - Leslie Chase

Replies

• anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I was actually just talking about this with my dad and he basically reiterated what this site says.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542697-is-a-high-heart-rate-during-exercise-good-or-bad/

How do you feel after a run?

If you're concerned about it, then by all means, talk to you doctor about it.
  • Steffinana
    Steffinana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm also a bit worried about mine:
    after just some five minutes of jogging (6:20 minutes per km) my heart rate goes up to 200...
    i don't feel dizzy, but get out of breath (a lot) and get the stitch.

any ideas?
    thanks!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest finding your resting heartrate before you get too concerned. My hr jumps up that high during strenuous activity, but resting is 60, perfectly normal.
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Your heart rate should only be that high if you're doing tabata (short, very challenging workouts). Keeping your heart rate that high for an extended amount of time can cause damage. Limit high intensity workouts to 2-3 times per week. Also, your body should be able to recover and return to a normal heart rate within a couple minutes. If it doesn't, you're probably working out too hard. Gradually work up to high intensity.

If you feel dizzy, you're may be working out too hard, not eating enough, or a combination of the two.

Personally, I decrease my intensity if my heart rate goes anywhere above 179.

*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I am expressing my own opinion. Consult your physician.
  • TaraTLC83
    TaraTLC83 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had an extremely high heart rate when walking briskly and jogging. My sister was with me and she is a paramedic. She lost her ****, made me slow down, and not excersice strenuously until I saw my doctor (especially because my daughter was born with congenital heart defects)

I was cleared by my doctor and was able to start doing more cardio training. You might be in good shape, but your cardiovascular system might not be... you can train your cardiovascular system. The more you train, the lower your heart rate will be.

I don't think you should be worried, but I do think that you should go and give your concerns to your doctor!
  • Steffinana
    Steffinana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    well, my resting heart rate is 60, but it still seems strange to me that my heart rate rises so quickly even though i'm not training at high intensity..