Friends/Family that don't exercise

Options
None of my friends or "family" exercise. It's really frustrating because none of them understand that after work, I have to exercise, which bascially puts me in the "leave me alone during the week" category. By the time I get home from work, exercise, shower, and then eat dinner, it's 9pm. I just don't have the time to go hang out after work. It's getting more and more frustrating with certain people. I'm this close to just getting in their face about it, because they're in mine about how I'm not "calling them back" during the week. Well, I'm not calling you back because I'm in the middle of my exercise. When I'm done, I'd like to shower, and then eat since I haven't eaten since noon. Then I'll call, but then, that's too late for them. So, what the hell? Lately though, I've been turning off my phone when I get home. I shouldn't do that, but I freaking hate hearing it ring. It gets me so angry that I want to break it.

Sorry, I'm venting. I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.

Most people have adjusted for me, and know that I'm really only available on weekends for doing stuff. But, a small few just aren't getting it. This has been years, it's not new, but I'm getting really, really, really, tired of it, and of repeating myself to them about leave me alone during the week, I just don't have the time. It's like they don't respect what I'm doing and it really pisses me off.

Have a nice day. :)

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I do not hang with people who are not into health and fitness.
    I can work with a guy or love a family member, but we just don't hang out.
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You know, when I started this journey 5 years ago, I was pretty much the lone one. My mom got me into working out with Walk Away the Pounds and Weight Watchers videos, but I soon surpassed her and now she has stopped all but a couple times a week while I am a daily 30 minutes minimum fanatic. Otherwise, my kids all sat there while I worked out at home, or declined my offers to go walking or jogging with them. My partner at the time was extremely lazy and out of shape, and the more IN shape I got, the more she admittedly turned me off.
    Now though, my oldest son has become very nutrition and fitness conscious, and it is somewhat rubbing off on his younger brother. My daughter is currently down with a stomach issue (the doctor thinks its H.pylori) but prior to that had begun working out at the gym and going on 3 times weekly hikes. Even my ex-partner (now a best friend) has stepped up and started watching calories and going on some walks.
    I might not have influenced them all completely, but I do think I set a good example. Certainly they are fully aware that I am a person who will talk workouts and nutrition for hours with them, if nothing else!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I do not hang with people who are not into health and fitness.
    I can work with a guy or love a family member, but we just don't hang out.

Well, these are long-term friends. So, it's different. It's not like I just met them last year. Plus, health and fitness is not my entire life. I do other things. Sometimes, I even drink beer and eat chicken wings!
  • neverstray
    Options
    I guess not too many others have this issue. HMmmm. Maybe it's just me.
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the issue of some family and friends not working out, but it's not a big deal. I wish my husband would join the healthy bandwagon though! I do get teased sometimes when we meet friends out, and everyone else is drinking and I get unsweet tea, but I have tough skin and am used to it. They all know that losing weight and being healthy is a high priority for me.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of occasions where I will absolutely drink a few miller lites but I don't do that all the time. It has gotten easier to avoid alcohol as more of my friends get pregnant!
  • DeeKay2169
    DeeKay2169 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If I wrote a "vent blog" this would be it word for word how my life is. Only I would add that I get called names... beast, gym rat, mini hulk etc... I may take it a little too far but all my life I have put other needs ahead of mine. I would always drop whatever I was doing to come to their rescue. Now that I don't do it or I should say don't do it often... I have lost friends and if they are still my friend they make pokes at me. Then when we do go out its beer and fried food... while I eat my unsalted almonds and drink my water that I have in my purse ha-ha
    None of my friends or "family" exercise. It's really frustrating because none of them understand that after work, I have to exercise, which bascially puts me in the "leave me alone during the week" category. By the time I get home from work, exercise, shower, and then eat dinner, it's 9pm. I just don't have the time to go hang out after work. It's getting more and more frustrating with certain people. I'm this close to just getting in their face about it, because they're in mine about how I'm not "calling them back" during the week. Well, I'm not calling you back because I'm in the middle of my exercise. When I'm done, I'd like to shower, and then eat since I haven't eaten since noon. Then I'll call, but then, that's too late for them. So, what the hell? Lately though, I've been turning off my phone when I get home. I shouldn't do that, but I freaking hate hearing it ring. It gets me so angry that I want to break it.

Sorry, I'm venting. I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.

Most people have adjusted for me, and know that I'm really only available on weekends for doing stuff. But, a small few just aren't getting it. This has been years, it's not new, but I'm getting really, really, really, tired of it, and of repeating myself to them about leave me alone during the week, I just don't have the time. It's like they don't respect what I'm doing and it really pisses me off.

Have a nice day. :)
  • neverstray
    Options
    Weekends are different for me. On weekends, I do go out and drink and whatever. But, during the week, by the time I'm all done and ready, I'm worn out. Even if I wasn't, everyone is like, <insert sarcastic whiney voice>"That too late".