Name change

Options
farmgirlsuz
farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
Just asking people's opinions here-

At age 19 I got married and took my husband's last name. After 19 years of marriage we divorced and I kept the last name (I just thought it would be easier for the kids for both parents to have the same last name).

After 9 (wonderful) years of being divorced and no thoughts of entering into married life again any time soon, I am now considering going back to my maiden name. It is a little odd but after my sister died last year I realized that my family is so important to me and I am very proud to call them family. Now I feel like the oddball because I have this different last name.

Only thing stopping me right now is the $185 filing charge, but hopefully in a couple of months that won't be an issue.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    If you feel its right for you, what's stopping you? Do it!
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I took my mothers maiden name as a teenager with no regrets! They were the family that raised me and the family i know and love.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been divorced for 5 years now, and I've decided last week that I'm going back to my maiden name as my 30th birthday present to myself :smile:
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Do it if it feels right... why not? I remarried but kept my maiden name and hyphenated my kids names so we would all have at least 1 last name that was the same :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've only been divorced a couple of years, but I'm considering going back to my maiden name. It's been easier having the same last name as my kids, but I hate my ex and his family. I think if it feels right then do it!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You gave a pro, but no cons. If there's no reason you want to keep your current name, I'm not sure why you are asking.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Do it! You owe it to yourself. I know from experience, daughter-wise. My mom did it and it empowered her so much. Not that she needed it, but it def gave her more courage and power in believing in herself!
  • lilypiecupcakes
    Options
    i got married and decided not to change my name, luckely sense we were only married for 4 months. and sense i have a daughter from a different relationship and her name was the same as mine i didnt want to leave her out
  • msmindylee
    msmindylee Posts: 61
    Options
    I've been married twenty years, and never changed mine in the first place. A name is important, you need to have one that you feel right with (whichever that is).
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    for 185 bucks, sure do it, but add an extra 'kick-*kitten*' middle name.

Never step back, always forward.
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    It sounds like you already know the answer deep down inside......trust your instincts :)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also, I want to add, I wish my mom would have taken back her maiden name. Now, I doubt it applies to your situation, but my mom doesn't always do the right things, and it seems like it often demeans my dad's side of the family. I know she used the name to get ahead, but it will cost my children later.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've been divorced for 7 years and want to go back to my maiden name. I've been dragging my feet because it's a pain to change my name on everything, but I just need to do it. The way I see it is if I were to die tomorrow, what name would I want on my headstone? I wouldn't want it to be my ex's...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    for 185 bucks, sure do it, but add an extra 'kick-*kitten*' middle name.
    Good advice. I vote "Danger".
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I never really liked my maiden name and NO ONE pronounces it correctly. That is really the only reason I wouldn't change mine. I don't see a problem with you changing yours. Do what makes YOU happy!
  • beauty2323
    beauty2323 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I got married a year & a day ago! :heart:
    I kept my last name and took his as well. (example: Willams-Parker) He actually did the same!
    We just wanted to start a new legacy with both family names.

I didn't want to give up my name & I knew I wanted his name.

I guess for people who are divorced I would change back but also add something new. For the "new" you!:smile:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Also, I want to add, I wish my mom would have taken back her maiden name. Now, I doubt it applies to your situation, but my mom doesn't always do the right things, and it seems like it often demeans my dad's side of the family. I know she used the name to get ahead, but it will cost my children later.

I know how that feels - my mom has her maiden name and my sibling and I have our father's name. She never got ours hyphenated. Not that we've ever "used" my dad's name, my friends have stated that it's just "weird" lol.
  • jwalker831
    jwalker831 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hope you get to make the change, friend! Sounds like it would make you very happy. :0)