Polyunsaturated & Monounsaturated Fats

Options
davidwh79
davidwh79 Posts: 11 Member
For my food diary goals I am given a limited number for grams of fat to consume. I know fats come in three basic types, that being saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. In the the food diary I see that it gives me an allowance for saturated fats, but for polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat it lists the goal as 0 (zero). I know that these fats are much more healthy for you than saturated fats, yet I receive a larger allowance of saturated fats than I do the unsaturated fats. I know that polyunsaturated fats should equal about 10% of your caloric intake, and monounsaturated fats should equal about 20% of your caloric intake. Why are these fats listed as 0 (zero) in my daily goals?

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I believe it's because there is no accepted recommended number to shoot for for poly and mono.
  • davidwh79
    Options

I attempted to make my way through that thread, but I couldn't do it. Holy guacamole that was a lot of debating. You appear to have a lot of knowledge on the subject though. So if you have some free time can you explain why MyFitnessPal doesn't have a recommended allowance for poly and mono unsaturated fats? Is it just that there is no official recommended amount?

Also, if you care to chat, what are your thoughts on vegetarian and vegan diets? From what I read of your argument, it gave me the impression you might be against a diet that eliminates meat and consists primarily of plant based nutrients.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I attempted to make my way through that thread, but I couldn't do it. Holy guacamole that was a lot of debating. You appear to have a lot of knowledge on the subject though. So if you have some free time can you explain why MyFitnessPal doesn't have a recommended allowance for poly and mono unsaturated fats? Is it just that there is no official recommended amount?
    I don't know why MFP doesn't have a default allowance for it, you should ask them. MFP does a lot of silly things, i.e. their default protein intake is ridiculously low in most cases, causing many people to worry that they're eating too much protein (which is ironic). They panic when they see the red. And that's on top of tracking mostly useless things such as sugar/sodium. I would advise you to just utilize MFP for their calorie/macro tracking features and their food database.
    Also, if you care to chat, what are your thoughts on vegetarian and vegan diets? From what I read of your argument, it gave me the impression you might be against a diet that eliminates meat and consists primarily of plant based nutrients.
    Vaguely speaking, I don't think vegetarian or vegan diets are superior to an omnivorous diet in any absolute sense. It depends what you're comparing them to. Given the fact that there's going to benefits to both eating meat and eating plants, why not eat both? Restricting yourself to one or the other will mean you have to supplement.
    I am vegetarian simply because I was raised to be one. I'll probably starting eating meat one of these days. Technically, I already do since I take fish oil pills.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple: you want the bulk of the fat you consume to come from poly/mono fats.
  • davidwh79
    Options
    Yes, I think I will take your advice regarding the use of MFP. It will remain my calorie tracker and food database, and I will pay less attention to some of it's shortcomings. I will use it, instead of it using me so to speak.

I just recently started eating a ovo-lacto vegetarian diet earlier this year. I find it both challenging and rewarding. I watched a documentary called "Forks Over Knives" and it has a lot of information regarding some studies, particularly one referred to as the "China Study". These studies basically conclude that meat is cancer causing, and generally unhealthy for you. Whereas fruits and vegetables, a whole foods based diet, is very healthy and beneficial for your life. I guess they made a convincing argument because it converted me, and I'd been an omnivore all my life.
  • davidwh79
    Options
    Plain and simple: you want the bulk of the fat you consume to come from poly/mono fats.

Yes, that is also my basic conclusion. I've also heard monounsaturated is the better of the two unsaturated fats. Apparently polyunsaturated fats can lower both your LDL and your HDL cholesterol levels, when you really want to only lower your bad cholesterol, or your LDL.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think I will take your advice regarding the use of MFP. It will remain my calorie tracker and food database, and I will pay less attention to some of it's shortcomings. I will use it, instead of it using me so to speak.

I just recently started eating a ovo-lacto vegetarian diet earlier this year. I find it both challenging and rewarding. I watched a documentary called "Forks Over Knives" and it has a lot of information regarding some studies, particularly one referred to as the "China Study". These studies basically conclude that meat is cancer causing, and generally unhealthy for you. Whereas fruits and vegetables, a whole foods based diet, is very healthy and beneficial for your life. I guess they made a convincing argument because it converted me, and I'd been an omnivore all my life.
    The China Study has a lot of flaws (epidemiological, animal studies, etc.) so you shouldn't really jump to any conclusions from it. Plus, Campbell is heavily biased.
    http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=129
    http://beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-8e.shtml
    http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html