SBF2 Reboot Boogaloo! week of Nov 9

Options

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    V- have you ever gone through allergy testing?

Yep, I'm allergic to darn near everything. Except: cockroaches (old buildings have carcasses in the walls), dogs and cats. But, this time of year is usually when all of that calms down for me. Also, I tried an allergy med the other day to no avail.

I'm very seriously considering a doctor's appointment, but every time I go I get a bunch of tests and "nothing" is wrong. I think I just might be "sickly". I would have made a fantastic Victorian lady.:tongue:

The exercise did seem to perk me up today. Also, it made me do a lot of coughing, that was. . .um "productive" I think is the word (sorry. . .that may be TMI) and I felt better for it. My big goal now is to try for Bikram on Thursday.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    V, if you are having productive coughs with lots of phlegm, you may need to add an expectorant to your daily doses. Guaifenesin is the main one, that's what mucinex is, but it's also in robitussin and a lot of the cold & flu pills; just look for it. My instant thought when you said that was to rule out pneumonia or bronchitis/bronchial pneumonia.... if you've had it this long, GO!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    V, I'm sorry you are feeling sick so much. :brokenheart: I hope you start getting on the mend soon and stay healthy awhile! :flowerforyou:

Good morning to everyone else as well! I'm so glad to see so many faces checking in again!

Another busy day for me! Horse therapy, shopping, visiting with a friend, cleaning house, and going to church. I am going to try to squeeze a workout in there somewhere. I felt so guilty about the junk I ate yesterday. It wasn't ALL bad but all of it together wasn't good. I'm going to try harder today. I am logging again.
    Our dryer took up most of the evening and caused us to get in a "fight" (DH says we never fight. lol). Turns out the vent pipe (to the roof) is plugged and we don't have a way to get it cleaned out. We are hoping the landlord will pay for someone to clean it out. That's why our dryer quit working. I have to do laundry so I am trying to get by on the minimum and it has to vent into the house. :grumble: The dryer works great if it's not hooked up to the pipe! It dried a load of clothes last night in 20 minutes!
    We're both a little stressed this week so I definitely need to work out today.
    Toying with the idea of not turning on the computer at all until my other stuff is done. I may have to do that for awhile.
    Getting off the computer boogaloo!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I just got called in to sub yoga this morning, so I better drink my coffee quickly. Good thing I keep all my class outlines (I can teach without an outline, it's just not as good). I got a little yoga in yesterday, and I have classes to go to through Saturday - so no problem getting my 6x this week.

Don't have any cardio type stuff planned for today - I was planning on going to the gym this morning, but better to get paid. I will try to get a quick walk in this afternoon - and yoga again tonight.

Warm days ahead, boogaloo
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Hi pebbs,

Feeling (maybe?) better today. . .have to run up to campus (trying to minimize this. . .it's an hour each way) and drop off graded papers to my boss so that he can approve my grades. I hate this. Feels like he doesn't think I can grade my own papers. Cranky. I have a problem with authority.

In order to put something positive into the trip, I'm also dropping off my finished project to my committee! Hooray, hooray, hooray! (that's three cheers, pebbs:wink: ). Now, on to the next massive project (um. . .hooray?)

I'm planning on exercising when I get home from campus. Probably the "backside" dvd, since I did the front yesterday. I didn't think I got a very good workout in, but I'm a bit sore in my "front" muscles. . .so that validates the workout yesterday.

I'll buy some tussin today, Arianne. When I went to the doc last week, she promised me my lungs sounded clear. I was shocked, as I have this weird burning sensation in my chest when I cough. . .maybe it's just sore from so much coughing? I have a naturopath acquaintance, and she urged my to increase my vitamin D dosage if my immune system is such a mess. My other theory: doctoral candidacy is killing me.:laugh: Or, at least, the constant stress is putting undue strain on my body.

Novel boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    update: walked home from the subway as a workout (it's about two km). There's this really cool sort of "through the woods" trail that goes from the subway to about a block from my house. Wanted some sunshine, and this was a scheduled day off, anyways. I'm always amazed how much activity my commute now takes. I used to complain, when I was a much bigger person, about how far my apartment door was from the elevator in my old building.:laugh:

Also, sort of did not meet my lunchtime "veggie with a meal goal". I had a hot dog (veggie dog with extra pickles and hot peppers. . .does that count?) So, for dinner I've made a whole wheat pizza with a ton of vegetables on it (it's in the oven right now.)

I'm very chatty today.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    V, sounds like a great walk. I barely got in my veggies for lunch too. Green beans.
    I just did Shred, so I got my work out in. Now I need to find motivation to clean. You'd think having company would be mojo enough. :huh: My goal is to clean the living room. I've also got to get a grocery list together before tomorrow morning. I have no idea what to eat next week. After a weekend of junk I'm going to need healthy food. I'll be ready for a cleansing I'm sure.
    It's getting hot in here since the dryer is venting into the house right now. :grumble: No word from the landlord. Guess I'll deal with it. At least it's a little cooler today so outside air helps.
    Gotta get busy!
    Making progress boogaloo!
    MM
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    3 more weeks, and 3 more pounds! Woo-hoo - I'm on a roll! :bigsmile:

V, you could be on to something about grad school making you sick! :wink: It sounds like you are feeling better, though, if you made it all the way to campus and back. More people are starting to call in sick where I work, so I am just washing my hands a lot and trying to get enough sleep. MM, that's a drag about your dryer.

I just barely managed to get my cardio workout in for today - I had to work late, so I came home and did 40 minutes of DDR instead of going to the gym. Now I just have to do my pushups and get myself ready for bed.

Sleep tight, boogaloo!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Congrats, CP! I'm jealous.

I didn't get the walk in yesterday, so it was just two yoga classes - one that was really easy. I'm a little sensitive in my hamstring, so I'm not sure about hard yoga today. I'm teaching two classes tomorrow, so I may skip today and just go to the gym, or for a long bike ride.

I remember when a 6 mile bike ride required a "cookie stop," yoga was followed by brownies, and an hour walk was exhausting.

Progress, boogaloo.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi all, didn't play on the computer yesterday but did get my salad in and half my water and had a gift certificate for a day of beauty from my daughters so I used it and spent hours getting a manicure,pedicure,facial and a hair treatment. When they were finished I could have happily taken a nap. Did alot of walking while shopping with my oldest.

Today I have half my water in by 10 am and did my 2 miles of walking and will be having a salad at lunch so I am almost done my checklist. But I still need to do some housework and pull carrots out of the garden for the winter. Then I will do my two routes and think about dishes and supper. Pretty blah day altogether but it is progressing. Hope you all have a great day:flowerforyou: Karen
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Hi pebbs,

Well, I continue my two steps forward, one back mode of getting well again. I was very frustrated last night and made the statement: "I want to be better instead of just less sick." Oof.

During a coughing fit this am, I decided that Bikram is not the place for me right now. If it's difficult to breathe at room temperature, best to not strain my body. I'm aiming to do a short yoga DVD at home in a little while, so that I can feel like I did something. I think I may have pushed too much the last few days.

On the upside, I have managed since Monday to get some vegetable at every meal (or double up the following meal in the case of yesterday). When the alarm went off this am, I somehow hit "off" instead of "snooze" and slept for another hour. :ohwell: Tuesday night, when I really wanted a dessert, I baked an apple with extra cinnamon instead. So, mostly victorious so far.

Mary, I have to remind myself of stuff like that, too. Progress is progress, and it's important to recognize that. I'm much better at "not enough!" than "good job!".

MM, how's the dryer?
    Take care, boogaloo:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Mary, do you still stop for cookies? I think I remember you doing that about a year ago or so. Yesterday I did the Shred and was able to do it just a little harder and better than before so I know what you are saying about progress. :smile:
    Karen, sounds like you are doing great!
    CP, you rock! :love:
    V, take care of yourself. Congrats on getting more fruits and veggies in and postponing dessert night. :wink: The dryer is still pulled out from the wall and venting into the house. I have about 3 or four loads to do today. :grumble: Still haven't heard from the landlord.
    Trying hard not to get concerned about Alex's eyes. He's complaining about them more, saying "What's the matter with your eyes?" I don't know if they are getting blurry on him or what. We don't have the money to take him to the doc right now. First appt is $200 and there will be follow ups. Steve's parents offered to pay for it but I think right now they aren't talking to us. DH confronted them about not supporting the adoption and we haven't heard from them in two weeks. :ohwell: Let me tell ya, it's been a roller coaster the last couple of weeks!
    Alex says, "First we take a nap and then we got to the birthday party!" No, it's tomorrow. "We take a nap, then go to Bible Study, then take a nap, then we go to the birthday party!" I don't think I've seen him so excited about something before! :laugh: He's driving me crazy but it's really cute.
    I'm not eating well today. I admit it. I'll work on it. I'm really sore from working out yesterday, so that makes me feel good. Today is finish up laundry, cleaning, and I really want to go wash the car. I can't hardly see through the windshield because it's so dirty, in and out. So that may be my exercise for the day. And I need to go get Alex's balloons tonight.
    I'm chatty today. Sorry. :smile:
    Day before the party boogaloo!
    MM
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Got the car washed inside and out. I'm sure it feels much better. :laugh:
    We have new neighbors moving in next door. Remember that lady I was visiting once in awhile at the nursing home? She had passed in June I think and they just sold her house. It's gonna be weird having someone else there. I've only seen the guy, but he has little girl stuff so I assume he has a little girl.
    I also got the bathrooms clean. I need to vacuum, sweep, mop, straighten up, finish laundry, and go get Alex's balloons. So it's been a productive day and I'm running out of steam.
    Oh, some other kind of good news is that I tried on my size 12 jeans and they went over my hips and were about an inch away from buttoning. They were way tight around my glutes though. :blushing: But I was surprised they went over my hips! So that's motivation.
    Back to work!
    MM
  • cp005e
    Options
    About a year or so ago, Mary took ME for a cookie! :bigsmile: That was cool. I get tired just reading about your workouts, though. :wink: V, great job on the veggies. Karen - sounds like a fun day!

Worked late again, but managed to get a 4 mile run in. I sweat so much that my skin gets powdery from the salt. Gross. :noway:
    Tomorrow *might* be dessert day - I'm thinking truffles. Or possibly another cupcake. (I am studiously ignoring the Girl Scout cookies in my freezer.)

MM - sorry about your in-laws. :ohwell: But that is so cute about Alex. Hope you all have fun at the party!

Night all.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    That was a year ago? Wow. I would have to throw the cookies in the freezer in the trash - it's going in one receptacle, better the trash can.

Today might be my dessert day as well - or I might go all week without (gasp). I'm going to a cookie decorating class next week, so that one is already planned.

Today is double teaching yoga, then a bike ride this afternoon.

Oh, another new pose yesterday - the twisting version of my avatar. Wasn't the full pose, but I was airborne - so now I can do eka pada koundinyasana 1 & 2. According to yoga journal, eka pada koudinyasana 2 requires more strength than firefly (that was my goal pose for a while). Still working on firefly - and haven't mastered 8 angle pose that V was working on. Soon.

I amaze myself, boogaloo!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Hi pebbs,

My back is killing me. Oof.

I'm very ponder-y as of late...in keeping with the whole "grad school is killing me" thought, I'm wondering how to strike a balance between getting workouts in and graduating (without death:tongue: ). I essentially am trying to figure out how to get the degree in a timely fashion, work out sensibly and eat well. I need to learn how to accept the fact that stress is physically demanding, and I have to adjust my working out accordingly (haven't quite figured that out, yet). Long story short, I want to 1. graduate. 2. not die. 3. not get fat from all the stress/reduced workout capacity. I was thinking back to when I was really pleased with the shape I was in. I was: exercising a lot (2 hours a day, sometimes more) and eating about 700 net calories. I had no other energy to do anything else. This is simply not practical, as the "anything else" is the important stuff.

Anyways,
    Today is a full day of teaching (hoping to avoid major coughing fits)...my commuter walk and collapsing (hopefully in that exact order.)

Not dying, boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    Options
    Quiet day today! I myself was really busy - I'm guessing you all were, too. Working late then a workout - I ran a mile in just under 8 minutes (exhausting!) and then after recovering managed about 25 moderate/hard minutes on the elliptical. But, I did have a nice lunch outside with a friend, and we pretended like we do parkour (trying to jump from bench to bench, or climb up a metal structure in the park). So that was a fun (but short) diversion - and it distracted us enough that we ran out of time for dessert! I'll have to think of something over the weekend.

You amaze me, too, Mary! :flowerforyou: V, I'm in favor of all 3 of those goals. But it reminds me of a funny bit from a John Cleese special on lemurs - he had just finished hiking for a couple of hours through hot, humid jungle to get to some research camp. The voiceover goes something like, "Sensing my obvious need to *try not to die*, my host immediately led me to a cabin..." It's just really funny in his accent and style. :laugh:

Pushups left to do tonight, and then I think I have met all my goals for the week! I hope you all have a fabulous weekend. :drinker:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Try not to let school kill you. The way my sister talks about med school, I think it's a possibility.
    No MM, yesterday?

Didn't get yesterday's bike ride in, walked instead. Today is a 2 hour yoga class and a bike ride. Have no idea what the class will be like, but it's free, which is my favorite price.

Had 3 tea cookies (think small) and most of a scone yesterday for dessert (the little piece left I'm having today).

Try not to die, boogaloo
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    No MM yesterday. :wink: I was so stinkin busy I didn't get more than about 3 minutes at the computer all day.
    My heart really swelled with joy last night at watching Alex. He has changed so much. He was laughing he's interacting with my family. He rarely interacts with anyone, but there's just something about my family. I am posting videos and pics on FB. The videos may be a little boring to friends, so I won't be offended if you don't watch. Although in each one he does something funny or cute. :bigsmile: It was a really good night. I hope today goes just as well.
    Not a diet day today. Red Robin for lunch ( I called to see when Red himself was going to be there and the guy said to let them know when we are coming in and he would make it happen. I thought that was awesome!) Rita's italian ice this afternoon (meeting with a cousin) and dinner at a friend's house tonight. I'll have a lot of working out to do next week to make up for this! We also have the Mouse Trap game in our future. Fun times. I really love being around my family!
    My sis asked if I was losing weight and said I look different! I didn't like the way I looked in the videos but I wasn't disgusted either. I guess it was tolerable. :tongue:
    Gotta get ready to go.
    Having fun boogaloo!
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    MM, that cake was adorable. Also, I want a piece.:tongue: I have a real problem with cake. I can pass up other desserts if they're offered to me. . .but can't refuse a piece of cake...even bad cake...it's so festive!

I sat down last night and tried to crunch out a workable fitness plan. I factored in that: I will get sick/stressed out a lot in the next few years (or maybe forever) but I need to keep moving. The conclusion I came to is just to make certain days in my week non-negotiable exercise days. Sometimes this will mean I can manage a slow long walk, and sometimes I can go all out (like I like to) with a boxing class or a hard circuit. But, I think it's important to be semi-hard-core with a philosophy that an exercise day=exercise, however mellow, and then to work on giving myself credit for moving even if it feels like a sissy workout.:tongue: I hurt more, and get very down on myself, if I don't move at all.

My plan looks funny. I color coded it for body/spirit/mind and tried to get a balance of the three ink colors. It became an art project. A thing I discovered is that I wasn't sure what "color" my eating goals should be. Although "body" was the obvious choice, I ended up categorizing them as "mind". I think that was a pretty big epiphany. When I eat better, I feel clearer and more in control. Junk food is like a drug to me, and it acts on my mind like one, and then it brings me down in all the ways. When I eat badly, it's not my body I'm trying to calm, it's my mind. My busy, busy, busy mind. Interesting.

Oh, and in my schedule, Saturday is a workout day. So, I'm either going to do a dance DVD or take a walk.

Whoa. . .novella time.

Keep moving boogaloo!:flowerforyou: