Oatmeal

Hi everybody!

I eat oatmeal very often and lately started to wonder about the calories to log in. On the package it tells 1 cup of oatmeal is 150 calories. But what about the milk I use for preparing it? Do I need to count the extra milk calories as well? Usually I eat 1/2 cup of unprepared oats with 1 cup milk.. Any advise?

Replies

• nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Yes, you should count the calories in the milk.
  • Thanks!!
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    I started off not counting the milk I used to have in my coffee. Turns out it was about 500 calories a day.

Defiantly count the milk. Consider just using water.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Hi everybody!

I eat oatmeal very often and lately started to wonder about the calories to log in. On the package it tells 1 cup of oatmeal is 150 calories. But what about the milk I use for preparing it? Do I need to count the extra milk calories as well? Usually I eat 1/2 cup of unprepared oats with 1 cup milk.. Any advise?

The oatmeal (or porridge as us scot's call it) I eat usually has the nutritional info for the oats with 125ml of semi-skimmed milk, but my dad got another brand and it only shows the nutritional info for when it's made with water so I'm going to have to do some calculating (I like my oats creamy).
    Does your package have a small asterisk saying something like "prepared with water or semi-skimmed milk" or something next to the nutritional info? I think most packages do...