Alcoholic calories are my downfall!

Options

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I still drink wine, but if I know in advance I'm going to have it, I enter it into mfp first thing in the morning. Then I can work the rest of my day's calories around it. I've weighed myself everyday this week, last night had 2 classes of wine, today I stepped on the scale and it went down 2 lbs. An occassional glass of wine if not a problem for me, what is a problem is getting drunk then needing to eat again.
  • Flatliners99
    Options

Could you cite a source that's more reliable than wikianswers (the a same text appears verbatim in a number of other blogs, repetition =/= fact)

I'll give you this link which is where I first read the information...written by a nutrition expert.

And yes I did nab it from wikianswers as its the basic information and if people want to research it further they can :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm

Also heres this link - http://general-medicine.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/1992/421/

Oh and one more - http://www.delmillers.com/Alcohol.htm

You're welcome :)
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    rum and diet is my favorite under 100 calories can't beat it!
  • sherronh
    Options
    ALSO I try to not waste my calories on drinks that have high calories but little alcohol content if I don't have a lot to spare for the day. If I wanna feel a buzz Ill tend to grab something stronger like rum and diet or red wine with a high % (:
  • sherronh
    Options
    I said this on another alcohol thread and I think it will help.

Alcohol slows down your metabolisation of other fat. Most of the alcohol you drink is converted by your liver into something called acetate and this acetate is used as your body's primary source of fuel and energy. It replaces fat consumption. One study showed that fat metabolism dropped by 73% for several hours after two drinks.

Then, as I and many others have done on way home from a night out, we go to the fast food place and get a ridiculous amount of greasy food to eat on the way home...the fats etc from this along with our now slowed metabolism is where weight gain can occur or weight loss can stall.
    This ^^^^ after I learned this I just never found alcohol worth the calories and the effects. I'd rather eat dessert with those calories and I don't want to screw with my metabolism. :-)

There are some studies that actually show that drinking a glass of wine during and after dinner can INCREASE your metabolism. How many skinny alcoholics are out there? lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Could you cite a source that's more reliable than wikianswers (the a same text appears verbatim in a number of other blogs, repetition =/= fact)

I'll give you this link which is where I first read the information...written by a nutrition expert.

And yes I did nab it from wikianswers as its the basic information and if people want to research it further they can :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm

Also heres this link - http://general-medicine.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/1992/421/

Oh and one more - http://www.delmillers.com/Alcohol.htm

You're welcome :)

A couple of guys selling books and a broken link, however i did find this:

"We conclude that alcohol has a fat-sparing effect similar to that of carbohydrate and will only cause fat gain when consumed in excess of normal energy needs. "

http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/3/619.abstract?sid=547efea5-4e27-41b1-a519-b7574953ec55
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

which one of your sources quoted, but I couldn't find the abstract for the study he referred to.......
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I want to reply to this, but I need to think a bit more about it so I am bumping for later
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    stick to vodka and a diet drink, like diet soda or chrystal light.....and eat very light for dinner, like a shrimp salad, or a chicken wrapped with lettuce...something around 300 cals or so....sometimes i just skip dinner and drink a few bloody marys and call it my dinner
  • sryan921
    sryan921 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, well if you look at my food diary, my whole dinner last night was alcohol! Not condoning this though, I know I have to do better. Vodka & crystal light sounds like a good mai tai alternative, but I doubt the bar will have that. And do people really mix vodka with pop (soft drink, soda, whatever)?
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Like many others who have posted here, I've pretty much given up alcohol. I will occasionally have a glass of wine - usually if we go out for dinner. My only other "must have" is 2 Bud Lite Lime beers when I play golf on Ladies' Night. I usually plan for those and cut calories somewhere else during the day.
  • kelsafish
    kelsafish Posts: 39
    Options
    Been there before! After I lost all the weight I wanted to lose for my wedding, I started drinking beer again.. lots of it. Now, here I am a year later and I'm having to diet again to lose ALL the weight I gained back (literally, all of it..)

My diet has really decreased my desire to drink. I exercise as a form of stress relief instead. I will still drink but I don't drink much beer anymore. I like to stick to wine spritzers (ugh.. so girly but it cuts the calories in half) or mixed drinks of calorie free liquid and 1 shot of liquor (I prefer tequila, it's 69 cal a shot). The more time that goes by, the less I even want to drink. I poured a 3 oz. glass of wine last night and ended up pouring half out.

What I drink:
    3 oz red wine with flavored mineral water = approx 60 cals.
    Sugar free margarita = splena, lime juice, water, tequila. About 60 cals.
    Guiness bottle = 125 cals.
  • Dgross1
    Dgross1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, well if you look at my food diary, my whole dinner last night was alcohol! Not condoning this though, I know I have to do better. Vodka & crystal light sounds like a good mai tai alternative, but I doubt the bar will have that. And do people really mix vodka with pop (soft drink, soda, whatever)?

Vodka with a Diet Squirt or a Sprite - throw in a lime - is delicious and refreshing. I like to use Grey Goose or Belvedere.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    helllllll if it wasnt for Alcohol half of yall wouldnt have even been born lol
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You have kids...I completely understand. :drinker:

I try and drink vodka w/ club soda or diet soda whenever I can. I love flavored vodkas...here are some good combos.

whipped cream vodka w/ diet rootbeer
    cherry vodka w/ club soda and a twist of lime
    vanilla vodka and diet dr pepper
    lemon or citrus vodka w/ crystal light lemonade mix

or

good tequila w/ sprite zero and fresh lime juice OR crystal light margarita mix
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I feel you on this. My last Saturday was 1675cal in alcohol. I am still working on cutting back
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! But I've been without every since I started watching those calories adding up and evidently my weight is changing rapidly from it. I didn't realize I was putting back so many calories. It fun while doing it, but the effects suck!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    put down the bottle and smoke a little grass.
    no headache, no calories, no sloppy hookups.

WIN/WIN/WIN!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You have kids...I completely understand. :drinker:

I try and drink vodka w/ club soda or diet soda whenever I can. I love flavored vodkas...here are some good combos.

whipped cream vodka w/ diet rootbeer
    cherry vodka w/ club soda and a twist of lime
    vanilla vodka and diet dr pepper
    lemon or citrus vodka w/ crystal light lemonade mix

or

good tequila w/ sprite zero and fresh lime juice OR crystal light margarita mix

Marry me :heart:
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stop with the Mike's Hard Lemonade and Smirnoff Ice (once they are gone from my fridge!) and try some of those Skinny Girl Cocktails instead...we'll see how that goes!
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Options
    1.5 oz Gin... (or any distilled liquor 40%+) and Club Soda in a 16oz (Red Solo) Cup.... Delicious, refreshing and Only the alcohol calories...