Eliminating grains? Paleo?

Options
I am having trouble eliminating weight in my midsection. I have lost most of my weight and am in a healthy range (5'4" and 128-130) but I am still way too squishy in the belly. It is getting really frustrating. I know you can't target any certain areas but I am wondering if possibly grains are causing some of the bloating/puffiness/etc. My stomach is relatively flat when I get up but after breakfast it gets puffy and stays puffy all day. Thoughts? Anyone had success with this?

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eliminate grains, it's going to be a lifestyle thing, not an "until my belly gets flat" thing. I mean, I'm sure you can have it from time to time, but if you go back to having it daily, any benefit you saw will disappear.

That said, I've noticed some significant health benefits from drastically cutting back my grains (I can't say I eliminated them yet, because I keep slipping up, but I'm working toward it). My belly is flatter, but I don't know if it's actually less fat or just not as bloated. But I've noticed significant mood changes, my skin is better, and my energy level is better.

I don't know if it will work for everyone. I kind of think it won't, because I don't believe that any one dietary change is ideal for every person on the planet. But if it's something you're interested in, it doesn't hurt to try it.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your right. Try elemination the grains for a week and see how you feel Cant hurt
  • 4gr8kids
    4gr8kids Posts: 20
    Options
    I lost over 30 pounds in under a year without exercising by eating fairly paleo.

It was first visibly noticeable in my mid section, so I'd say yes, give it a try :) I didn't do before and after measurements, but I lost 2 pants sizes.
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It seems to be working for me! I'm in a similar position as you - trying hard to lose the final few lbs around the middle, and cutting back on grains is helping for sure. I still occasionally have beans and legumes because I care about getting enough iron, though...and that seems to be fine.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I've had huge success lately eliminating grains! I'm 5' 6" and was hovering around 135 FOREVER. After I cut grains I dropped 4 pounds in two weeks, and I wasn't even working out that much. It was so easy. I had been busting my butt for months, working otu really hard and counting calories but I was stuck. I was getting fitter and stronger, but having the same issue, unable to get a flat tummy and always feeling bloated. Sometimes after my BM I felt *almost* flat, but as soon as I ate my oatmeal, bloated again for the rest of the day. Now that I'm not eating grains my stomach has flattened out and my love handles shrank. I feel better and less sluggish too.

I am worried though that this will have to be a lifestyle change if I want to maintain. I currently have one cheat day where I eat grains, and occasionally I'll eat a piece of whole wheat toast or some cheerios during the week if I feel like I need it. I eat some dairy and eat beans on occasion, and that doesn't seem to slow me down. It's harder to get all your cals I think without grains, and it can get expensive since you'll most likely be eating more meat. I'm loving it though so I say give it a try!
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Thanks for all the good stories. Yes I get it is a lifestyle. I am also lactose intolerant (mildly) and eliminated those for about a month and now eat them in small moderation with no bad effects. I plan to eliminate grains and if successful I will add them back in in moderation. I eat a lot now so I think adding small amounts back in eventually won't be detrimental.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30 pounds in under a year without exercising by eating fairly paleo.

It was first visibly noticeable in my mid section, so I'd say yes, give it a try :) I didn't do before and after measurements, but I lost 2 pants sizes.

I lost 24 in about 6 months with no to minimal "exercise" but cutting out grains. I have reintroduced some minimal grain intake such as corn (in form of popcorn I make and also grits) and oats. I stil avoid wheat flour like the plague.

My wheat belly is gone. My digestive system is much more efficient. My bad knee went from daily pain to no pain at all. I am a convert.
  • LindsayE007
    Options
    I am lucky I have no other digestive issues associated with wheat except the chronic puffiness/bloating. It's sucks. I feel 3-4 months pregnant and it looks so much worse now that I have slimmed up everywhere else. When I was chubby my belly fit the rest of my body, LOL
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Eliminating grains had caused the chronic inflammation my wife had to go away, as well as many aches and pains. I think that getting our bellies flatter has also been contributed to by eliminating them.

Wheat is the worst offender, and I can see eating corn minimally in the future, but no wheat ever again.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Dropping grains made a huge difference in my bloatedness--all gone! Try this for a kickstart http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/

I've been eating paleo over a year and will forever--it has made such a difference in my health there's no way I'm going back to eating the SAD (standard American diet) ... not worth it. See my profile for more info.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I find I don't have to completely cut out grains but only consume them every other day and do not exceed 45g from grains. The only grains I do eat, though, are from bread - I gave up brown rice, and rice in general. I eat 1/2 prepared brown rice and I get bloated and instantly gain about 2 lbs of water. Generally, I try not to exceed 125g from carbs and that seems to be the perfect place to stop.
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    are beans included in grains?
  • Marll
    Options
    are beans included in grains?

No, but they are legumes which are also not permitted when being strictly paleo.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For the first 9 months I worked out a LOT and "watched what I ate" (not paleo) and I only lost 24 lbs. I discovered paleo/primal, cut my workouts back about 20%, and in less than 4 months, I have lost 37 more lbs. And I eat more calories now than before with the slower weight loss. For me, paleo = more food, less exercise and more weight loss. I'll take it.
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    well sounds interesting, I might try it, but damn it will be HARD for a mexican to cut out beans and tortillas and PAN DULCE
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I have been doing this fairly well for about a month...no bread...the occasional glass of wine ( so I guess I am doing more of the primal version)...I try to eat minimally prepared meats and fresh veggies- and I feel better than I have in years...my belly is far from flat...but I am still a good 20 pounds from an ideal weight. I say give it a try and see how you feel.

I did have a small piece of carrot cake for my son's bday tonight...so ...I guess I have adopted the once in a while I can cheat. Has worked so far!
  • LindsayE007
    Options
    Bump
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    well sounds interesting, I might try it, but damn it will be HARD for a mexican to cut out beans and tortillas and PAN DULCE

Mexican caveman = cave-hombre

Hombre Cavernoso (if I'm remembering my Spanish right). And mmm sweet bread...

Okay, but none for me. I seem to be fuller longer and have less insane binge cravings now that I quit eating bread. But it's only been a couple weeks, so we'll see.
  • Marll
    Options
    For the first 9 months I worked out a LOT and "watched what I ate" (not paleo) and I only lost 24 lbs. I discovered paleo/primal, cut my workouts back about 20%, and in less than 4 months, I have lost 37 more lbs. And I eat more calories now than before with the slower weight loss. For me, paleo = more food, less exercise and more weight loss. I'll take it.

But wait....isn't weight loss all about calories in vs. calories out and lots of exercise?!! :wink: