Protein and Runners

Options
Hey. Just wondering if you guys think runners need extra protein. I was always under the impression that protein shakes, etc. were more beneficial for weight lifters, but am curious if I am missing out on an important part of my nutrition, recovery, and performance. I generally run 3-5 miles a day, 5 days a week. What do you think?

Replies

• Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    Well protein shakes are used to help build lean muscle- but they also have other benefits and are used to help recovery and muscle repairs. I am a runner and a weight lifter. But even if I was just running I would still take a protein shake because I am so much less sore the next day and my body feels like it run so much better with the additional protein. But yeah, thats just me. :happy:
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No. You shouldn't need to take in extra protein for running. And shakes aren't special, you could get the same protein from eating three or four eggs, plus they taste a lot better.

The only way to improve your running is (generally) to run more. Everything else is a waste of money (shoes, shakes, wrist bands, HRM, etc...).
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    No. You shouldn't need to take in extra protein for running. And shakes aren't special, you could get the same protein from eating three or four eggs, plus they taste a lot better.

The only way to improve your running is (generally) to run more. Everything else is a waste of money (shoes, shakes, wrist bands, HRM, etc...).

This really interests me... I dont think investing in a good pair of shoes etc is a waste of money? My running was torture until I invested in a good pair of shoes. I also found that my stride and my pace was improved dramatically when I was wearing comfortable, proper running shoes. Moreover, HRM are great- although not a necessity- especially when doing HIIT running- helping you make sure that you are training at the higher end of your heart zone.

I agree however, that unless you are running considerable distances and making serious demands from your body you shouldnt need additional protein that you cant get from your diet. But I will encourage the OP to start lifting weights because building muscles and developing a strong core and legs really makes a HUGE difference to your running.
  • Nastasha915
    Options

This really interests me... I dont think investing in a good pair of shoes etc is a waste of money? My running was torture until I invested in a good pair of shoes. I also found that my stride and my pace was improved dramatically when I was wearing comfortable, proper running shoes. Moreover, HRM are great- although not a necessity- especially when doing HIIT running- helping you make sure that you are training at the higher end of your heart zone.

I agree however, that unless you are running considerable distances and making serious demands from your body you shouldnt need additional protein that you cant get from your diet. But I will encourage the OP to start lifting weights because building muscles and developing a strong core and legs really makes a HUGE difference to your running.

I have an HRM, and agree that although it is not a necessity, it has tremedous value. Same as good running shoes. I know I need to lift weights, I just hate doing it. lol. But I'll try to work it in slowly until I find a routine I like. Thanks for your responses.
  • Cindoise
    Cindoise Posts: 2
    Options
    for the distances/frequency that you're running, you probably don't need any excess protein from shakes. it's once you get into heavy endurance training (i.e. marathon training) that you need to really up your protein levels since you're running for such extended periods of time. i asked my naturopath at the time i was training for my first marathon and she suggested 1.4 - 1.7 grams of protein per kg of body weight so that i didn't break my body down too much and maintain my health/immune system.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Three or four eggs is out of the question for me...

You should maintain your regular % of protein after figuring in those calories burned. My % is set to 35% for protein, 35% for carbs, and 30% for fat. I exercised over 1,000 calories today, so my numbers REALLY shot up high. I'm up over 160g of protein, but I'm not going to get in the 232 it tells me to--even having several scoops of protein today!

I run 4-6 days a week, btw. Well, I'm learning to run 4-6 days a week. I walk/jog 4.19 miles each morning that I go. I love it. I have invested in an HRM and good shoes. They are both invaluable in the process of weightloss, and the shoes help prevent injury. It's just nonsensical to think you can wear crappy shoes and run well without injury.

*I also lift heavy 2-3 times a week....
  • kmg3475
    kmg3475 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier post. In my Nutrition class I teach that endurance athletes need 1.3-1.4 g/kg body weight. Resistance trained athletes need 1.6-1.7. A sedentary person is only 0.8.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Wow, rampant ignorance. Yes, you'll get the same amount of protein from 4 eggs, but also an extra 150 calories that this person might not need. Shoes a waste of money huh? Yikes.

To the OP; it depends where you sit with your current intake of protein. General rule is approx. 1g of protein per lbs of lean mass. If you need more protein in your diet, there's nothing wrong with a good quality protein drink as long the protein quantity is high, and calories low. Some of those powders have way too much unnecessary "filler".
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    We all fuel our bodies a bit differently. As we all lose weight in different ways. There is no specific way to do it, only some recommended levels of intake. The act of running generally takes carbs, but as you build up as a newbie you will be putting on some muscle.

Personally I think MFP is a bit carb heavy, but that works for a lot of folks. For me, I try to keep my carb and protein intake about even. Something like 35% C /35% P /30% F.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Do the opposite of everything in this post and you'll be all set!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, just completed my first half marathon. But I also workout hard (started INSANITY 11 days ago) and before did circuit training with weights. I eat 99g of protein per day. It helps with muscle recovery and building lean muscle.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

Do the opposite of everything in this post and you'll be all set!

Ditto
  • runningmommycrosland
    Options

I agree that it's better to get our protein from a real food source, but to say that shoes, etc is a waste of money is ignorance...

I was running about 3 miles a day and had to stop because of extreme foot pain. I purchased Merrell Barefoot shoes and am back to running again with no pain.

What works for one may be different for another.....
  • runningmommycrosland
    Options
    I am a runner, just completed my first half marathon. But I also workout hard (started INSANITY 11 days ago) and before did circuit training with weights. I eat 99g of protein per day. It helps with muscle recovery and building lean muscle.

I start training for my first half marathon in August! Until then, I'm working my way up. I'm nervous!
  • Nastasha915
    Options
    I usually miss my protein mark set by MFP (113g 25%) by 30 to 50 grams every day. This is part of the reason why I ask.
  • Nastasha915
    Options

I start training for my first half marathon in August! Until then, I'm working my way up. I'm nervous!

Congratulation! I'm working on a 10k right now and hopefully a half sometime after I get comfortable at that level.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

I was nervous too. But you will do great. Your inner competitor will kick in and you will find strength you never knew you had. Remember-your mind will give up way before your body will! It's very mental!

good luck to you.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

Congratulation! I'm working on a 10k right now and hopefully a half sometime after I get comfortable at that level.

that's a great place to start! Good luck to you
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Running recovery drinks are 4:1 carb to protein as that's the optimal nutrition for running.