c25k

Options
Hi everyone! I just started the C25K. Today will be my 3rd day. I am using the phone app RunDouble (little yellow guy looks like he is running). I am surpised that I have found that I can actually do it. I was so worried that I was going to start it and feel like I was dying. Don't get me wrong, by the time I am done, I feel like am sucking wind and am glad it is over!

I do notice that my shins are a bit sore after I am done. Is there anything I can do about this? I have a good pair of shoes so I know that isn't the problem.

Also, are there any other tips that you have....anthing you know now that you wish you knew then type of thing??

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! I really do appriciatte it!!

Replies

• beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great. I'm thinking of starting this plan, but I've never been able to run without a lot of pain in my throat. Must be breathing wrong, but it burns. Both excited and scared to try this but seeing your part gives me hope. Congratulations on a great beginning. How does your ticker show up on your post? And how did you record your exercise for c25k?
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    webdaughter...congrats...as for the shin pain, try banana's and if that doesn't help you may want to check out a running store in your area. They will usually have you run on a treadmill and record it for you to watch and give you pointers. They will also recommend shoes that are good for the way you run. For instance, I had purchased some kind of Nike running shoe but kept getting shin splints. Went to the running store in my area and they told me that I run with my feet leaning in alittle and my stride was too long. They got me in a perfect shoe that helps correct the 'leaning', I have shortened my stride and no more shin splints! Good luck!

beekuzz....breathe from your diaphragm ( as you do when singing). That will help with your breathing...
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I did it! Went out today and I actually completed day 1. Pretty sure my running must have looked like a beached whale hopping, :noway: but I have an extra 100 lbs to shed, so I'll be happy that I kept going to the end. :happy:
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I did it! Went out today and I actually completed day 1. Pretty sure my running must have looked like a beached whale hopping, :noway: but I have an extra 100 lbs to shed, so I'll be happy that I kept going to the end. :happy:

GREAT!!! Keep up the good work. Doesn't matter what you look like now. Only how you feel and what you're gonna look like after ya lose that 100 pounds! Good for you!!!
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also just started doing this with rundouble. If you have the GPS set up and turned on, it will keep track of total time, distance, and calories. I just created a new exercise and entered in that info.
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I love C25K. I've done it three times and am now moving on to 10K now that I have more time. It definitely has changed my life for the better.

About the shins: I wish someone had told me this. You're probably getting the start of shin splints. I get them every time I start running again after a break, so what I do now is aggressively ice after every run, whether I think I need it or not. What I mean by "aggressive" is that I run the ice block/pack (a lot of people freeze water in paper cups to make cylinders) HARD across my shins. If the splints have gotten bad, it will hurt a lot, so maybe ask someone else to do it for you. Now that I ice every time, I don't have problems with it at all. But be proactive, because the full-blown shin splints can be very painful and even warp your bones!

The other thing: Week 4 is really, really hard. For everyone. Power through, stay strong, and walk if you really need to. You can repeat the week if you really want to.

Good luck! You'll be a runner in just 9 weeks. :)
  • Marglyne12
    Marglyne12 Posts: 26
    Options
    I just completed Week 6 day one..I feared Week 5..a 20 minute run on day 3..suprise I did it! :happy: I am still going slow, but it might just be the way I jog on the treadmill..my husband told me I take small steps and stay at the front of the machine :embarassed: . I am just Happy I was able to complete a 20 min run..first time in my life.:drinker: (drinking powerade zero)
    You can do this!!!
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I love C25K. I've done it three times and am now moving on to 10K now that I have more time. It definitely has changed my life for the better.

About the shins: I wish someone had told me this. You're probably getting the start of shin splints. I get them every time I start running again after a break, so what I do now is aggressively ice after every run, whether I think I need it or not. What I mean by "aggressive" is that I run the ice block/pack (a lot of people freeze water in paper cups to make cylinders) HARD across my shins. If the splints have gotten bad, it will hurt a lot, so maybe ask someone else to do it for you. Now that I ice every time, I don't have problems with it at all. But be proactive, because the full-blown shin splints can be very painful and even warp your bones!

The other thing: Week 4 is really, really hard. For everyone. Power through, stay strong, and walk if you really need to. You can repeat the week if you really want to.

Good luck! You'll be a runner in just 9 weeks. :)

I must be the anomaly, I found week 3 hard but I am loving week 4.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I've done this before but need to start all over from the beginning since I havent run since January. I'll let you know how it went after i get it downloaded to my ipod.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got was to run slow, you might find it would be faster to walk but the running is conditioning . Most people try RUNNING and get exhausted too fast. This is especially good in the later weeks when you start doing 5 minute intervals.
  • LoseSMoore
    LoseSMoore Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started this again (I usually get to week 3 and quit) on Tuesday. Planning on doing week 1, phase 2 tomorrow if I can move my legs after the kettlebell class I took tonight.

Good luck!
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 1, Day 2 this morning (before it got too unbearably hot out). I found that I went a much shorter distance than I did on Day 1. I know the goal is to get conditioned, but is there a recommended distance that should be achieved in the early stages?
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    I am not going by distance at all, only time. I think part of it depends on what you can manage. With the rate I jog distance would exhaust me before I was finished with the interval.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    COMPLETE Week 1 Day 1 and it felt GREAT! I used the treadmill tonight and probably will most nights. The only day i'll probably get to run outdoors is going to be on Saturdays. I have a Garmin to help me try and keep at a certain pace. Treadmill was a walk of 3.3 and Run speed of 5.0.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    Are you doing the cool running C25k? It gives you distance if you want it http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
  • lamerek
    lamerek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used 5K Runner to get started with running, and I'm totally addicted to running now!

A few things—if you are having shin pain, it's likely shin splints. Google shin exercises for runners and you'll find some good stretches for your shins to do post run. Also, if you're really sucking air and having any pain, you're probably going too fast. You should be able to hold a conversation while running (sounds crazy, but it's true!). If not, you're going far too fast. Speed WILL come as you continue to run—there's no need to go out fast!

A good book on running injury free is ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer. It's got great info on form and getting started. Things like breathing from the diaphragm, making sure your toes are pointed forward (check your feet next time you run, you might be surprised to notice you're going side to side or your toes are pointed outward!), your shoulder are down, and your arms are relaxed and swinging front to back, not side to side. It's A LOT to think about, but for me it's part of what keeps me "in the run." Also, Runner's World's web site is pretty great with inspiration and tips—it's not just for seasoned athletes! :)

http://www.runnersworld.com/

Congrats on starting your new running life—WTG!!!!
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here- C25K that is awesome- You should all come and join it! I just did W4D2 today-
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this tonight! I'm really excited!

I do have one question though - is it better to take the day rest in between, or to do some easy walking/stretching exercises?

Also, where do I find the CK group on here?

Thanks!
    Terri
  • tiguer
    tiguer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am on W2D3 of Couch to 5k, using the Ease Into 5K app. It has a GPS feature that tells you how far you are going -I LOVE IT. It feels so good to get back in to running. I'm getting to a bit over 2 miles so far. Hoping to run a 5k race at the end of the summer.

I think you are getting shin splints. I suffered from them a lot as a high school runner but have not experienced them at all in my latest running attempts. I think it's because I truly am EASING in to it - I'm not starting out with a 3 mile run, I'm working up to it slowly and allowing my body time to adjust to the extra pounding. I also have GOOD running shoes. I was such a Nike fan in HS and have since learned that they are junk and probably caused a lot of my shin splint issues.

Go to a running store like the Running Room and get tested for the best shoes for your feet and the way you run. You might pay more for the shoes, but you'll find ones that work the best for you, they will last you longer and you will have far more success with your running.
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    Make sure you stretch well and don't push yourself too hard. Hang on in there and you'll be rewarded handsomely! :wink: