DVD Recommendations! Please Help!

Options
hey guys! i'm currently doing the couch to 5k plan. i'm sticking with it and have a new found love of running but would like to add in a workout dvd program to get some strength training going (preferably using my own body as resistance) but i have no idea which one to go with, there are so many!!! Tony Horton, Tracy Anderson, Shaun T, Zumba, Brazil Butt Lift, etc, etc, the options seem endless. its also important that its not so difficult that i lose interest and quit after day 2 because i can barely do any of the exercises, so nothing crazy advanced. what have you had success with? what was fun? what did you really stick with? how were the results?
thanks!!!

Replies

• lisakmoser
    Options
    I am really enjoying the Tone It Up Beach Babe DVD...it comes in a digital version so I can just watch on my iPad and do the exercises anywhere. The ab section is intense, and the arm workout is amazing. I did the HIIT workout the other day and it's great...there are 7 workouts in total so it's a good supplement to other things (they also have free youtube videos). Oh and a 10 minute yoga section that I like to do after any workout! :)

There are a ton of options. Good luck!
  • bear8479
    bear8479 Posts: 2
    Options
    Give Bob Harpers Yoga DVD a try. Great for strength - with no hard yoga positions. All his dvd's are pretty good, I use them when I'm travelling or its raining.
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    thanks! what else?! anyone???
  • Teko03
    Teko03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to thread jack, but I'm helping a friend get started and would like to see some recommendations for beginners, preferably something that does NOT require any additional equipment.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Any Jillian Michaels dvds!
  • indiedoll
    indiedoll Posts: 31
    Options
    Any Jillian Michaels dvds!

This! And I also really like the exhale series.
  • TheDelaDarling_
    TheDelaDarling_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jillian Michaels. Most of her workouts keep you moving, but are relatively short. They do involve free weights. My personal favorite is her 30 Day Shred. It's about 25 minutes and does circuits with some weight training, some cardio and some abs. It burns a lot of calories and really energizes you because you can feel your muscles burn but the moves are fairly simple.

I also really like Bob Harper's Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation. It's about 45 minutes but again does a nice circuit workout to help you build some muscle.

I'm a big fan of these because they definitely have helped me to tone up my arms and abs. Also, I'm a huge Biggest Loser fan!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    DVD for strength training??

Only thing remotely close I can think of is the Starting Strength DVD, but you will want the book as well.
    http://aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?action=show_detail&crn=210&rn=323
  • Tapemymouthshutplease
    Options
    For a beginner, Leslie Sansone walking DVD's are awesome, for someone who wants a challenge Tae Bo! Billy Blanks rocks! I also love Chris Freytag, she combines multiple joint exercises that raise your heart rate while you are lifting. I love all of the Firm workouts as well. Bob Harper is amazing as well! Good luck : )
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I just started Shaun T's Rockin' Body (2 discs with a total of 7 workouts). It reminds me of a "hip" version of Richard Simmons. :) After I got over feeling stupid, I began to enjoy it. The time flies! I have yet to work up the sweat that I was promised, but it is variety from my other DVD's.

I also do Jillian's 30 day Shred. I am on level 2 and it is a butt kicker, but in an awesome way. I love doing it and working hard. I don't do it every day so I don't get bored with it.

I also throw in Summer Sander's 400 Calorie Fat Blast in the mix. You choose which of the 3 (15 min each) workout combos you want to do that day. They are nice because you can do 1 or all 3 in the same day.

And finally, I also have Preventions' 2-week Turnaround Strength video. Again, I like tons of variety and I enjoy this one as well.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have been alternating between Tony Horton's Power90 (NOT the X version) and Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. Both involve free weights and some bodyweight exercises. Power90 has a cardio and circuit workout and the 30 Day Shred pretty much combines both.
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I LOVE turbo jams. My husband does it with me. Its a mix of dance and kickboxing. Lots of kicks and punches. We live it and it works you out! Its by team beachbody.
  • konalove3
    Options
    wow lots of you seem to like Jillian Michael's , I'll have to look into this!
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 18 of Power 90, and LOVE IT!!! It's a 90 day program done by Tony Horton designed before the p90x craze, and is for "beginners/weight loss" comes with an eating plan, DVD's etc...So far I've lost 5lbs in 2 weeks (which is super great b/c I only have another 10 - 15 pounds to be at my goal weight) Very doable, b/c like you, if it's "too hard" I would definitely give up. Anyway I've got 72 days left and I know I'm going to have great results, b/c in 2 weeks results are already visible.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    DVD for strength training??

Only thing remotely close I can think of is the Starting Strength DVD, but you will want the book as well.
    http://aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?action=show_detail&crn=210&rn=323

And this is why I make a distinction between strength training (which for most people seems to mean low weights, high reps) and weight lifting.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is Day 30 of Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred. I have lost 4.5 lbs in 30 days. I don't know inches yet because I haven't measured yet but will in the morning. My shoulders and upper back look amazing compared to before. I need to lose some fat from my stomach and butt still to see my results but I sure feel them. I can hold a plank for 3 minutes. I couldn't even hold one for 10 seconds a month ago. I can do "man" push-ups on my toes and "rocky" sit-ups. I am so happy with how much stronger I am then I was a month ago. I am going to increase my weights to 5 lbs (I did round one with just 2 lbs weights!!!) and see what happens over the next 30 days. (Jillian does annoy me at times so once I have the moves down, I turn her down and turn up my ipod.):happy:
  • Jackolina85
    Jackolina85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree that anything Jillian Michaels will do! I loved the 30 Day Shred! I just bought Ripped in 30...I'll see how that goes!
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I like the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. you can get it for about $10 at Wal-Mart, etc..
    I love the Bob Harper DVD's. He's tougher than Jillian, he was running a special on his DVD's for $5 each on his website. Not sure if it's still going on. I really like his Ripped Core and his Ultimate Cardio Body.
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing couch to 5 K. I know you don't want extra equipment, but Paul Katami's kettlebell workout is great! I do his core workout on the days I run and the drills on the days I don't. The work outs feature a lot of squats and lunges, which I think are helping me with the running. I also have Bob Harper's Biggest Loser DVD and Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30, but I still like the kettle bell DVD better. I got a reebok kettle bell. The work out that comes with it is a good intro but the instructor has no personality.
  • konalove3
    Options
    thanks everyone!!