help!? eating 1200/day but no results!

Options
Hi yall I'm female, almost 24 and I weigh 160 lbs and I'm only 5'2". I'm new to all this so I don't know what all the abbreviations mean and all that. Fitness pal says to have 1200 calories a day which is not a problem for me, but I'm not seeing any results?! Is this the right amount of calories for me? If not, can someone PLEASE help me?! I've tried all those calculators and read the newbies post thing but I'm still clueless. Can someone please just talk me if 1200 cal/day is the eight thing to do?

Thanks

Replies

• khand58
    khand58 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1200 sounds right for your age height and weight - you really don't want to eat any less than that. You said no results - sounds like something needs a kick start. How long have you been eating that amount? Are you doing any sort of exercise? You might need to increase your exercise to burn more calories.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I find that its not just the calories, it has to be good quality food. and in my case, exercise has been key.

I started at 167, and 5'5", I cut carbs, sugars, dairy, so essentially I am eating lean protein and veggies, and 1 piece of fruit per day.
    I have lost 2 lbs/week steadily.

So my suggestion, get that body moving, dieting alone may not cut it. You may eat more on days you exercise to make up for those calories (so your net calories = 1200).

How long have you been at 1200 cals without no results, sometimes it takes your body 1 or 2 weeks to catch up with what you are doing
  • Heidi777
    Heidi777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's so frustrating! You might find it helpful to shake things up by eating some different foods and be sure to measure your food portions for a while. It's easy to underestimate portion size!
  • cafreda
    cafreda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and have a calorie amount of 1200 as well. I noticed it is a lot harder to lose the weight without exercise. Just try to move around, some crunches/planks during tv commericals, jumping jacks, squats--anything really to keep moving. I also noticed when I have 1200 calories of junk vs natural/healthy food, it also takes some more time to see weight loss.
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There is a 21 day challenge of eating no junk food on the web site if you search for it in the community groups. No white bread pastries, takeaways etc, something like that could kick start u off. If you need a friend feel free to add me.

The only couple of abbreviations I can think of at the mo are
    WTG - way to go
    HRM - heart rate monitor.

Don't get too disheartened. How long have you been doing MFP?.

If you do the same workouts u may need to mix it up a little in case ur body has reached a plateau.

Keep it up u will see results.
  • bh0465507
    bh0465507 Posts: 2
    Options
    Take at alook at the time of day when you are eating. I find I need to finish eating for the day by 7 pm ish...Also I don't eat white foods( carbs, rice bread pastat) past my lunch meal. ie for dinner it is lean protien and vegatables...I don't use all the snack prepared foods becaue the carbs are to high...I eat oatmeal or rice with eggs for brekfast so I haven't eliminated carbs just avoid them in teh evening...if I get hungry in the evening I have a little turkey breast or an apple with peanute butter...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't want to make you feel worse than you already do but sometimes I find myself not completely honest with logging...

Quality of the food is important but really not that critical if you are honestly within 1200 range. A friend of mine lost lots of weight by eating icecream, soup and tv dinners but restricting to 1500 calories a day. I am not saying that's a good way but just something maybe you could look into? logging everything as accurate as possible? Good luck!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ Eat above it, net above it. Even though you are short I bet you could eat more, lose weight steadily and face less plateaus.
  • quantumpion
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? Are you sure you are sticking to your calories, or are you cheating or incorrectly measuring what you eat? If it has only been a week or two it's possible your body is just holding on to water weight due to the sudden decrease in calories. Give it another week or two of accurately accounting for everything you eat and you should start seeing some results. Don't get discouraged right away.
  • jgkoutr
    jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    check your BMR #s and dont eat lower than that...some might even suggest eating b/w BMR and TDEE...here is a website calculator to help you figure it out

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • quantumpion
    Options
    check your BMR #s and dont eat lower than that...some might even suggest eating b/w BMR and TDEE...here is a website calculator to help you figure it out

Please don't listen to this kind of advice. There's a popular misconception that if you eat less than some magic number of calories your body will somehow stop burning any, causing your weight to stay the same. It's silly and incorrect. Your body will not go in to "starvation mode" (i.e., burning your muscles f or energy) until it has used up your fat stores first. When you eat less, your metabolism will decrease somewhat but if you are eating 1200 calories per day that should still be a plenty large enough calorie deficit to lose weight.

Here is a good link: http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ Eat above it, net above it. Even though you are short I bet you could eat more, lose weight steadily and face less plateaus.

Thanks for that link! Very useful information.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Please don't listen to this kind of advice. There's a popular misconception that if you eat less than some magic number of calories your body will somehow stop burning any, causing your weight to stay the same. It's silly and incorrect. Your body will not go in to "starvation mode" (i.e., burning your muscles f or energy) until it has used up your fat stores first. When you eat less, your metabolism will decrease somewhat but if you are eating 1200 calories per day that should still be a plenty large enough calorie deficit to lose weight.

Here is a good link: http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Of course it's myth. Millions of people who lost weight are obviously lying and doing it wrong.

Here's a great group to check out for more information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

I was stuck at a plateau for 2 years at 1400 cals a day. I upped it to 1800 as per the information from this group and have dropped 7 lbs in a few months.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options

^^ what they said
  • pamrademacher
    Options
    Look at what you're eating and when. My coach said to go light on the carbs and eat them in the morning. Also if you like fruit they should be eaten earlier in the day. We should also be consuming alot more protein and veggies than we do (Think of the early settlers and cavemen diets). Hope this helps!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

I agree .. I just got a bodymedia fit and I burn a pretty good amount of calories on a day where I'm not too active. I'm about 5'3 and 163. You may need to eat a little more especially if you are active.
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Actually starvation more is not a lie. Please consult a more reputable source than the one you posted. It's not so much that your body doesn't start consuming muscle until there's not fat left, which is somewhat true, it's the idea that your body thinks it's starving. The whole point of fat isn't to make us look fat, it's to provide energy storage for later. Here's an analogy. One person is used to having 40 cans of soup in their pantry. They usually use one can and buy one can a week. If suddenly they start using 5 cans a day and still only buying one they're going to notice that they're running REALLY low on cans, and will stop using them so rapidly. It doesn't matter if they are used to having 40 cans, or 40 pounds of extra weight, or 5 pounds of extra weight. If it comes off too fast, the body will make an effort to conserve what it has to keep at baseline. You need to loose slowly enough that you can trick your body into this new baseline. This is why so many fad diets don't work.
  • lkpta
    lkpta Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I am female, 25 years old, 5'3 and starting weight of 158...so I am going through almost EXACTLY what you are going through. I am also a physical therapist assistant, so I have a background in fitness/exercise. I gained weight while I was in school (stress, working a full time job while going to school full time, yea fun stuff!). Here are a few tips for you. I lose weight VERY slowly. I have to exercise 5 days a week and I eat 1300 calories every day. No cheating. And by following this strict program, I lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. I have friends who can do this same thing and lose 5-6 pounds in a couple weeks. DONT BE DISCOURAGED. Everyone is different and loses at different speeds. Log every bite that goes in your mouth. Measure everything, don't eye ball it. As Americans, our portion sizes are very distorted. If you eat less than 1200 calories, it will slow your metabolism. Eat 1200 to 1300 a day, if you exercise hard, allow yourself 1300-1400. Eat lots of veggies, fruit, and lean protein. DO NOT eliminate dairy from your diet. As a woman, you need to calcium. Just go for low fat/fat free versions of yogurts and cheeses. Combine cardio with weight training. And girl, it doesn't have to be complicated. For cardio, I do "walk/jog" interval training of alternating jogging for 2 minutes with walking for 2 minutes. I do this for 20-30 minutes. Look up some BASIC strength moves, you don't have to do all those crazy moves you have to be a ballerina to do. And it's ok to eat things like ice cream, cookies, etc...just factor them into your calorie count for the day. I eat a 110 calorie chocolate ice cream bar every night because I need something sweet. I just factor it into my calories. Eventually, you will find yourself reaching for healthier foods because you will find that they keep you fuller longer. Also, it took me a couple weeks a diet/exercise to see my first pound come off. It could be your body just adjusting to the change, or you could be building some muscle depending on the workout you do. And one more note...I LOVE Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred video. It's only 22 minutes but it is a great cardio and strength workout. I've been doing it several weeks and still on level 1, so if you try it and it's too hard for you don't be discouraged. Do your best and you will be able to do it after a few times. Sorry this got so long (and is probably full of typos LOL) but you sound JUST like where I was a few weeks ago. I was soooo discouraged. This app has really helped keep me accountable for the food I eat. Stay with it :)
  • kathygenuardi
    kathygenuardi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My goal is also 1200 kcal and after 6 weeks I've hit a plateau. But i have lost. I have found that it is harder for the weight to come off if I drink Diet Soda - I know I fought it when people said that but I have found it's true. So my advice - more protein, less carbs and increase the intensity of your exercise. More green tea less soda if you drink it. If you walk, walk fast for 1-2 minutes so that you are really pushing (less if you are just starting out), if you weight train increase the weight and decrease the reps. The harder you push the more you can burn fat and speed your metabolism.. We need to push our bodies (even a little) to get where we want to be. In two weeks see if this makes a difference
  • csstfj
    csstfj Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank yall all for the great replies! I've been at it for 3 weeks so far so I'll keep trying. I have stopped with the white rices, sugars, breads, etc. I have a wheat bagel with low fat cream cheese every morning and have cut out the sweet tea (in Texas it's more available than water!). I also eat the same times every day. Here is my schedule:
    8:00am- breakfast 300 cal
    10:30am- snack 100 cal
    1:00pm- lunch 300 cal
    3:30pm- snack 100 cal
    6:00pm- supper 300 cal
    8:00pm snack (sometimes; not always hungry) 100 cal

I also do some pilates workouts about 20-30 min every other day sooo hopefully my body will come on with it already! I'm also hypothyroid but not sure if that matters since I have the med to keep my metabolism going...

Thanks everyone!