Are diet shakes/SLIMFAST even good for you??

Options
ZiezieO
ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
I've substituted a diet shakes for meals every once in a while. I've never committed to using them in my diet because I have looked at the labels and I feel like they have so many calories and fat and sugar that they aren't even good for me.

Am I just being foolish and not understanding the system of Slimfast or other diet shakes? Or are they gimmicks trying to sell a product to people that want to lose weight and have a yummy drink?

I want to know what you guys think/know!

Replies

• willot0722
    willot0722 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You should try protein shakes. I have ISO-100 in Gourmet Chocolate. I blend it in a blender with half cup of skim milk, cup of ice, and half of a banana. Genuinely tastes like a milkshake and it's only 100 calories and almost 30g of protein AND no fat! I also take a multivitamin every day to guarantee I get my vitamins and minerals.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think much of them either. I also don't think much of the "diabetic" products like certain cereals you find in the pharmacy section. There's better cereal with way less sugar out on the regular shelves. It's all about squeezing $$$ out of people.

There's nothing wrong with supplementing your diet with a smoothie of some kind, but paying for Slimfast doesn't make much sense to me.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    They're laden with fat, sugar and chemicals. But the portion control seems to appeal to people - drink this shake and you'll lose weight! Sure you will, it's lower in calories than their usual cheeseburger, but it doesn't mean it's healthy.
  • melishapiro
    Options
    Get some vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder (Jay Robb is the best tasting), then make your own smoothies with a scoop of PP, 1/2 c almond milk, some frozen strawberries &/or frozen peaches and a few ice cubes. DELISH and good for you. Great fat burner. If I have this around 7:30 or 8:00 pm I weigh LESS in the morning
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for all shakes but the optislim and optifast shakes here in Australia are VERY healthy.

3 shakes provides every nutrient, vitamin and mineral your body needs for the day.

They are amazing in my opinion, but using them properly HURTS SO BAD. (I have done this once with rapid results)

Well, dieting hurts - these are just super hard core versions.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Am I just being foolish and not understanding the system of Slimfast or other diet shakes?
    Yes. They are formulated to be used as meal replacements, not drinks to have with a meal. They are formulated to provide all the minerals & vitamins etc on a reduced calorie intake.

Let's face it, a milk shake wouldn't be part of most of our diets normally.

http://www.slimfast.co.uk/plan/default.aspx - 3 snacks, 2 meal replacements, 1 meal a day.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Am I just being foolish and not understanding the system of Slimfast or other diet shakes?
    Yes. They are formulated to be used as meal replacements, not drinks to have with a meal. They are formulated to provide all the minerals & vitamins etc on a reduced calorie intake.

This. If you are drinking your meal, it is going to have calories and fat because your body needs those things.

I've never followed a diet using meal replacement shakes, but I sometimes use them when I'm too lazy to eat or don't have an appetite. They usually aren't very filling, so I don't think they'd work if you are actually hungry.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan - I'd rather eat my calories and to get my vitamins, minerals etc from something with more flavour and substance than a processed blend of dairy, sugars and fillers with a few vitamins thrown in.
    I think if you want a quick fix or something that "hurts so bad" then go for it, they are calorie controlled and won't do you much harm.
    Personally I'm looking for sustainable, long term change so these aren't for me - but they keep selling them so they must be right for someone!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan either, I think they encourage bad eating habits and no actual change, like 'hungry, dont eat some fruit, eat a slim fat chocolate bar'. It doesnt change someones actual eating or encourage healthy eating. These kind of products really gripe me, sorry. grr.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Protein shakes or diet shakes aren't a daily or even weekly thing for me. I like to have a ready made drink on hand when I need it. Usually, I eat eggs or steel cut oatmeal in the mornings, but sometimes that doesn't work out. Like when my mom had surgery and I had to leave very early and drive 1 1/2 hours just to get to the hospital. I could drink my RTD shake while I drove to the hospital.

I personally, would rather eat my food than drink it. To me, it just seems more satisfying.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Let's face it, a milk shake wouldn't be part of most of our diets normally.

http://www.slimfast.co.uk/plan/default.aspx - 3 snacks, 2 meal replacements, 1 meal a day.

I said that I "replaced" my meal for them. I understand that they aren't a beverage really, but a liquified meal. However, I am not going to read facts given by Slimfast since there is a giant bias factor.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. I've tried them a time or two before when I was on the go, starving, and hours away from a decent meal. They always taste very artificial to me.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.
    Ideally, eat lean meats, whole grains, nuts, low fat dairy, fresh fruits and veggies.
    That's best.
    And if man makes it, it's not that good for you - even the stuff marketed as "health food"...lol
    OK, take slim fast.
    I use this stuff. It's quick, convenient and keeps me off a binge.
    I slam down a slim fast before going out to eat or when I am feeling major hunger pains. Is it ideal? no, but it beats the alternative.
    That's how I look at these things.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I often have a slimfast for breakfast but I was shocked to discover that it is about 10% sugar! I do find though that if I have the shake I can go until mid-pm without food......the problem being that once I start to eat I struggle to stop! I have a feeling that little regular meals would probably be better but if the shakes don't trigger a late day binge with you then I'm sure that they are fine. My friend lives off 2 shakes plus one small evening meal- she lost stones in weight and now maintains a low, healthy weight; I just wish that I had her willpower! Good luck on your journey.
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've lost my last four pounds on diet shake.

It helps me purely because I hate eating breakfast and it helps me kick start my metabolism.

I eat normally for lunch and sometimes replace my dinner with a diet shake purely because I'm rubbish at portion control and would gorge on 1000kCal a meal. Easy.

It depends on what sort of eater are you. If you're rubbish at portion control like I am, it could be a lifesaver. This includes meal replacement soups.

You cannot live on diet shakes alone. We need to chew to feel good, or you'll feel miserable being on a diet.

Good luck and have fun dieting. x