Ok... need help deciding on a program....

Options
I want to start a work out program at home and supplement with going to the gym still as well. I am hearing a lot about Jillian Michael's workouts... the 30 Day Shred and Body Revolution. But also hearing and reading about Shaun T's Insanity Program.

Would love to get some opinions from ya'll if you have tried or are doing either one and what you would recommend?! Thanks in advance! : )

Replies

• Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I bought JM's DVD, but haven't started it yet. However, there is a post on here somewhere called something like Fat Girls in Bikinis....a woman posted her before and after picture from doing ONE week of the 30 Day Shred and it is AMAZING!!! So, I'm voting for that one!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    If it was me i would go beach body over JM. =)
  • deannalynne73
    deannalynne73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I bought JM's DVD, but haven't started it yet. However, there is a post on here somewhere called something like Fat Girls in Bikinis....a woman posted her before and after picture from doing ONE week of the 30 Day Shred and it is AMAZING!!! So, I'm voting for that one!

See I was gonna go with the 30 DS but then I saw someone's before and after pics from only 2 weeks of Insanity and they were amazing!
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You can YouTube level 1 of 30ds for free. Check it out and see if you like it before you buy
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would recommend P90X(90days/6days a week) for resistance & body composition change, although you can do it with bands, to get the best from it you need weights & a pull up bar - it is a very comprehensive program, with elements of cardio, yoga & stretching. The "days" usually run to around 60mins give or take a couple of minutes either way. This system is so well presented & very modifiable, with "easier" examples & tougher options presented for each exercise.

TurboFire is fast & furious BUT mostly fun cardio, the discs have innumerable options, from short fast w/outs upto combinations of w/outs, I can't emphasise enough the aims & methods used are a lot like Insanity BUT with fun thrown in for free :) Great beats & a lot of fun.

Insanity(60days/6days a week) is a lot of football drills & jumping, a dedicated following BUT I really can't see why, the discs run to just under an hour, are really tough but IMO boring & repetitive & injury prone :(

An all round great is RushFit(60days/5days a week) an MMA inspired w/out with great pedigree. It is 5 x 5 minute rounds with a minute rest in between. Seven discs that run at 45 mins each. Circuit training with mostly bodyweight & a few light weights used, really tough & great fun. Although the "days" do accentuate different body parts/areas, this is really a full body co ditioning series. A bit drier than P90X, less fun than TurboFire but it doesn't suffer from this, it is all business.

All times include warm ups & cooldowns.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've done JM 30DS, I found it very repetitive and boring.
    I've done numerous other JM workouts, and found the same.
    I've never done Insanity, because I'm not into football type drill workouts.

I do Turbofire and LOVE it. I'm more into the cardio boxing and fun than the drills.
    I also do CLX and LOVE it as well.

I'm a Chalene girl all the way.
  • nancycsel
    nancycsel Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm in my 4th week of Insanity and love it! The scale hasn't changed but I'm down a pant size and I'm seeing muscle definition.

I did 30 day shred and while I liked it, it got boring quick. Plus I didnt' really think the work outs were long enough. I was just getting into it and then it was over.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I ablsolutely love Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It's tough but it works. I have a Heart Rate Monitor and I burn an average of 320 calories in the 27 minutes it takes to do the workout. I also have her Last Chance Workout which runs longer but is the same concept...3 min strength, 2 min cardio, and 1 min abs, then repeat. The workouts go fast and I feel great afterwards.

As for Insanity, I've only done the Fit Test so far, but will start disc 1 after I complete Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred.
  • Jessicapages1
    Jessicapages1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have done Jillian micheals ripped in 30,and 30 day shredd.With both I didn't lose that much weight.I have also donr INSANITY and Turbo Fire,I lost the most with these,but what I have gotten the best results from were eating claen and lifting weights! All the cardio I was doing I wan't lifting weights.Jilliam micheals I was only lifting 5 pounds!! LOL That is not going to get you ANYWHERE!!! You need to lift heavy to see results! I have lost 10 pounds in 2 months with just eating CLEAN,weight training,and cardio( steady state 2 days a week and HIIT 3 days a week)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Shaun T will knock you on your asss
  • deannalynne73
    Options
    I would recommend P90X(90days/6days a week) for resistance & body composition change, although you can do it with bands, to get the best from it you need weights & a pull up bar - it is a very comprehensive program, with elements of cardio, yoga & stretching. The "days" usually run to around 60mins give or take a couple of minutes either way. This system is so well presented & very modifiable, with "easier" examples & tougher options presented for each exercise.

TurboFire is fast & furious BUT mostly fun cardio, the discs have innumerable options, from short fast w/outs upto combinations of w/outs, I can't emphasise enough the aims & methods used are a lot like Insanity BUT with fun thrown in for free :) Great beats & a lot of fun.

Insanity(60days/6days a week) is a lot of football drills & jumping, a dedicated following BUT I really can't see why, the discs run to just under an hour, are really tough but IMO boring & repetitive & injury prone :(

An all round great is RushFit(60days/5days a week) an MMA inspired w/out with great pedigree. It is 5 x 5 minute rounds with a minute rest in between. Seven discs that run at 45 mins each. Circuit training with mostly bodyweight & a few light weights used, really tough & great fun. Although the "days" do accentuate different body parts/areas, this is really a full body co ditioning series. A bit drier than P90X, less fun than TurboFire but it doesn't suffer from this, it is all business.

All times include warm ups & cooldowns.

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful info! But now you have added more choices to the mix, lol. So TurboFire and RushFIt sound like fun to me, and are a really good work out, sounds like?

I have Power 90 but got bored with that, listening to Tony's stupid jokes, lol.
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I want to start a work out program at home and supplement with going to the gym still as well. I am hearing a lot about Jillian Michael's workouts... the 30 Day Shred and Body Revolution. But also hearing and reading about Shaun T's Insanity Program.

Would love to get some opinions from ya'll if you have tried or are doing either one and what you would recommend?! Thanks in advance! : )

Shaun T's Insanity Workout is just that INSANE, its tough, I have it and my favorite workout is the plyometrics DVD...I recently started doing Zumba in the comfort of my own home the version with Beto is much better, although I can't do anything right now...I have shin splints and per doctors orders I can't workout for the next couple of weeks and ice, ice, ice...do you know of any cardio exercises that dont work out the muscles near the shin...
  • deannalynne73
    Options

I do Turbofire and LOVE it. I'm more into the cardio boxing and fun than the drills.

What is CLX ?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on supplementing whatever "program" you can do with gym time, then I suggest you NOT do anything that adheres to a schedule that involves working out more than 3 days a week. Combining any 5-6 day a week workout program with gym training as well will lead to overtraining, meaning stunted results at best and injury at worst. Find a cardio specific program that only guides you through cardio workouts and leaves you free to customize the schedule (Shaun T's Rockin' Body is a good one) or just do Couch to 5k, and do your lifting at the gym.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

What is CLX ?

ChaLean Extreme. It's a circuit training workout revolving around dumbbell training from the creator of TurboJam and TurboFire. It's unique in that it promises results with only 2 days a week of cardio, the rest is all weight training.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have tried JM programs and beachbody programs...IMO beachbody is better....JM didn't give me enough of a challenge...and I didn't see nearly the results with it as I have with beachbody. I started with Ten Minute Trainer from beachbody because I was out of shape...a very good starting point...then have progressed to Chalean Extreme, TurboFire, Insanity and P90X. You will be challenged, but you will definitely get results....and you can go at your own pace and increase as you go.
    Good luck
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going to the gym. I know for me, I probably won't commit to doing a workout at home. I have thought about some of these programs, but am just trying to increase my time with the weights. Always looking for more ideas, though!
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting the insanity work out BUT I have been warned by a few who do have it how brutal it is LOL . I have no time to go to the gym. I usually do Step and Ab rolls with a roller (my neck cant take regular ones) The last week with everything going on with worok and my daughters shower I have not done either :( Tomorrrow I start anew.
    They say the insanity REALLY works. But you have to ease into it. It is non stop with the exception of like 10 seconds to catch your breath LOL
    I also have Wii Fit Zumba which I am getting set up at my Bfriends this weekend. I tried it and LOVE IT. 2 left feet but loved it.
    Not sure if this helped at all but let me know which you go with!