De-motivated by the doctor!

Options
13»

Replies

• Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That really hurts, I know the feeling. back in the beginning of April is when I last saw my Dr. Witch, I complained of a few things and all she could tell me was go home and lose some weight, "Too big" she said, come back in six months. Well I have since lost 20lbs and when I do see her again in a couple of months, I will tell her to eat her heart out. She has always been judgemental about me from the git, like I was some fat low life. Typical middle age minority girl. I plan to have another 20lbs gone by the time I see her cripple self again and then I want to see what she has to say. LOL Don't let anyone get you down.
  • smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love the comment about interviewing the doctor..............Lol I did the same thing... !!!!
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor, went to mine with a problem and she did all kinds of tests she wanted and I paid out the butt for nothing.but didn't address why I went. I have a new doctor now.
  • bmfoley
    bmfoley Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor! You need somoene who is supportive of the great changes you are making! You are doing awesome!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    People should be commended for committing to a better lifestyle whether they have 10lbs to lose or 300!. No matter where you fall along that scale, 43 pounds is AWESOME!!!!! I'm in total agreement, ditch your doctor and get someone who can appreciate that many of us have struggles with food and weight loss. It's all about changing your lifestyle and realizing you deserve better health :smile: You have proven that you are certainly working on that! Way to go!
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That happened to me a couple of years ago: I went in and I had lost weight and had started lifting weights and I felt fantastic and fit. I told her that I was having trouble sleeping and that I was having some problems of a feminine nature, and then she told me that I need to lose weight, stop drinking so much, and then asked how I treat my acne.

I told this woman that I wasn't sleeping due to stress and anxiety and that I was having some bleeding I shouldn't be having and she told me I was fat and had bad skin. I haven't been back and I didn't fill her prescription for antibiotics for my acne out of spite. She was also a size zero on a fat day and it pisses me off when people who can't GAIN weight tell me I need to LOSE it.

I always prefer nurse practitioners because they had to learn some people skills along the way.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1. Get a new doctor
    2. You are paying to be treated like that? Please you are paying the doctor.
    3. Sometimes after being in PRACTICE (and that is what they are doing, practicing medication, it is not an exact science), they forget the patient and their bedside manner.
    4. Tell her off and find a new doctor. That is too crazy. I would have asked, "who are you talking to"

Sometimes patients are afriad to speak up, if you do they respect you more and know you are concern about your healthcare and not just a patient that just take what ever they put out (pills or advice)
    Ask questions. Always write down questions you have for your doctor, they way they know you are interested in your healthcare.

Many times doctors see so many people that are not concerned or do not really understand what is going on with them. So often times the group everyone together. I know my doctor just does not through everything at me. I ask questions and we talk. So if you do not have that type of relationship with your physician, it time to go!!!!:ohwell:
  • rebeccarowellsmith
    Options
    I think I would find another doctor.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Doctor's are not always the brightest bulbs on the trees. And all too often they're not the nicest. At the end of the day, you own your own health and fitness. You own your plan to get in shape and you are the only one that has to be pleased with your results. I know it feels good to have your doctor approve of you and of what you're doing. But, it doesn't always happen. Try not to "need" your doctor's approval. Just require your own approval. It's about "your" life, not your doctor's.

And, if you simply feel like the doctor is sabotaging you, there are millions of doctors and some of them are good. Interview some other doctors and select one you get along with and who will support you.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Definetely find a new doctor....with all the screaming about the obesity rate why would this doctor not give you credit for what you have done? Makes me think of the doctor i saw many years ago who made me feel like crud because i was 5'2" and weighed 135lbs. He pompously pointed out the chart on the wall which said i should weigh between 115lbs and 125lbs and i was like are you nuts!!! I may be short but i do not have a petite frame so that just wasnt going to happen. As a matter of fact if i told people what i weighed they wouldnt believe it because i looked thinner then what the scale says. If anything i needed to get into a good fitness program to flatten my poochy belly and develop some muscle tone but all this guy kept yacking about was how i needed to lose fifteen or twenty pounds. I walked around for years after that thinking i was fat and guess what?? Now i am.....

Support is the only way you will succeed in meeting your goal so find a doc who will give you just that!!!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    If your doctor makes you feel bad about yourself, then she isn't doing her job of motivating you to be healthy. Shame on her. If I were you, I'd find another doctor. Mine high-fives me every time I go in. Find one that makes you feel like you're both working toward your goal of overall health and that congratulates you on improved test results, lower weight, etc.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We hire doctors. They work FOR US. You don't just need to find a new doctor, you need to fire this one! Let her know, in person or through a letter to her office, just why she lost your business.

Do not let others treat you like garbage. 43 pounds is nothing to laugh at! It is proof of your hard work and dedication. Find someone who will support you through this, and cut out the negative!

Good luck, and keep on doing what you're doing!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So much for encouragement from your doctor for doing well!

My doc told me the opposite, lose weight more slowly lol
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    Sometimes I think they say things like this just to push us harder. My doc was mentioning my weight because of my HBC and when I told him I've taken off 22 lbs so far, he said "well that's good but you've got a long way to go" which felt a little like a slap in the face, especially coming from a fit and trim, good looking man doctor who probably hasn't ever had to struggle to look good.

Keep up the good work and keep those nasty comments in your head for the next time you have hard exercises to do. Maybe they really will push you even further.
  • sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep ! Some of them are like that. Let me share a secret with you. Some people like to use FOUR letter words, and I have a favorite!! "NEXT". There are way to many physicians out there to be stuck with one you feel uncomfortable with. It took me two years to find a physician I was comfortable with when I first moved to Florida. Just remember....your in charge, you pay them! Look for another who is more interested in you and has a more positive outlook!:smile:
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad my doc isn't like this.

She's a tiny thing, but she works in a weight loss clinic aimed at veterans. She initially talked to me about losing weight 18 months ago, but I wasn't ready.

She didn't judge, but when I started to mention some stuff that I noticed and we talked about lab work (blood sugar), she brought it up again and this time I was ready.

I joined the clinic. She said I needed to lose at least 10% of my high body weight, or about 20 lbs.

We discussed goal weight, and she didn't blink an eye when I told her a goal weight of something that is slightly above what BMI charts say I should be. She even said that it would probably be healthy for me, if I was comfortable there.

She wanted me to lose about a pound per week.

I see a nutritionist once a month to check in and she thinks I'm doing great. I'm supposed to see my doc again in August.