Crutches/Comfort Foods/Emotional Eating Oh my..

Options
Shannon023
Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
Received some incredibly sad family news this week.

Day one - dealt with it with too much wine & Lays potato chips. Felt horrible, sick & depressed afterwards.

Day two - went for a long run. Felt empowered, strong and capable.

Moral of the story: When life sends us a heartache/challenge we all have choices to make. I can't change my heartache, but I can controll how I deal with it. Get rid of the crutches/bad habits, ya'll. They only make matters worse.

/soapbox but :heart: :heart: to the MFP'ers! :smooched:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Options
    Received some incredibly sad family news this week.

Day one - dealt with it with too much wine & Lays potato chips. Felt horrible, sick & depressed afterwards.

Day two - went for a long run. Felt empowered, strong and capable.

Moral of the story: When life sends us a heartache/challenge we all have choices to make. I can't change my heartache, but I can controll how I deal with it. Get rid of the crutches/bad habits, ya'll. They only make matters worse.

/soapbox but :heart: :heart: to the MFP'ers! :smooched:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Shannon....I totally agree and am so sorry to hear your dealing w/ some bad news...hugs!

I learned this lesson a long time ago when my dad passed suddenly, he was overweight and well it first numbed me and then it tripped a switch and honestly I handled it much better by getting out and going for a long run everyday than sitting and drinking wine w/ the rest of the family....doing that made me worse, sadder, more lost..... I mean I still had to deal w/ it and was terribly sad, but I wasn't a walking zombie and could make decissions etc...hope that makes sense lol (plus gives you time to think and for me to talk w/ him on my own LOL it was a win win)

Its amazing what exercise and eating well will do for not only your body but your mind and spirit too....best of luck getting through it and keep on making those good choices and you'll get through it hon!

hugs!
    Ali
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya. I have fallen apart. Two family members I have to try to get power of attorney for and I feel like I want to go to bed, start all the old habits and just go away from it all....

As for the stress level, I'm lucky to still have hair!!!!!

Stick with it ya'll, we can over come anything and learn from it and become stronger.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Shannon....I totally agree and am so sorry to hear your dealing w/ some bad news...hugs!

I learned this lesson a long time ago when my dad passed suddenly, he was overweight and well it first numbed me and then it tripped a switch and honestly I handled it much better by getting out and going for a long run everyday than sitting and drinking wine w/ the rest of the family....doing that made me worse, sadder, more lost..... I mean I still had to deal w/ it and was terribly sad, but I wasn't a walking zombie and could make decissions etc...hope that makes sense lol (plus gives you time to think and for me to talk w/ him on my own LOL it was a win win)

Its amazing what exercise and eating well will do for not only your body but your mind and spirit too....best of luck getting through it and keep on making those good choices and you'll get through it hon!

hugs!
    Ali

Thanks Ali, that's kinda where I'm at. My dad's been give 6 months to a year to live & even though in the back of mind I knew it was coming....am still heartbroken.

SOAPBOX WARNING!!

Smokers!! Quit now!!!! A slow suffacation is no way to go!!! Love yourself better then that!!! :flowerforyou:

/soap