Marathon training and nutrition

Options
libgrl
libgrl Posts: 17 Member
Does someone have a good resource that I can consult for meal plans while training for a marathon? I've found basic nutrition stuff, but I would like something more specific.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean...beyond just eating healthy overall and making you get in a 4:1 replacement after hard workouts, there really isn't anything special
  • libgrl
    Options
    I am looking for a diet plan to promote energy and also try to lose a couple of pounds.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Set your macros at 55% carb, 15% protein, and 30% fat. You need the carbs for energy and if you run a lot, as you should be in Marathon training, 15% protein will give you approximately .75 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean bodyweight per day. You also need the fat for general health.

Set your weight loss goal to 1/2 lb per week and eat most of the exercise calories. Anything more and your trianing will suffer.

Within those guidelines eat anything you want. I have never seen a formal diet plan for marathon training.
  • acarter72
    acarter72 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is great information as I am also training for my first marathon and have been struggling with hunger and logging. I will check my settings. Thank you..........
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    IMHO - marathon training is NOT when you should be trying to lose weight. It is VERY taxing on your body and you need to make sure you are well fueled. I tend to gain 5 lbs when I am training for a mary. My body needs it. I know it is counter-intuitive since you are logging such high mileage..... but it is what it is.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I do not have a plan to share but I just wanted to say I am training for my first marathon, too! When is your run?

Side note: I am reading a very funny, sarcastic book by Dawn Dias (The Women's Guide to Running a Marathon). She tells about her journey from couch to marathon (in Hawaii). It's a good chuckle read for those times when it is hard to keep going.

Anyway, congrats on signing up for a marathon. I will keep an eye on this thread for other responses.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Set your macros at 55% carb, 15% protein, and 30% fat. You need the carbs for energy and if you run a lot, as you should be in Marathon training, 15% protein will give you approximately .75 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean bodyweight per day. You also need the fat for general health.

Set your weight loss goal to 1/2 lb per week and eat most of the exercise calories. Anything more and your trianing will suffer.

Within those guidelines eat anything you want. I have never seen a formal diet plan for marathon training.

exactly - just eat healthy. you might feel like you can eat anything (and that you deserve it) but putting crap in your body will effect your training.
  • libgrl
    Options
    My marathon is September 16th, but the intense heat in my area has been limiting my running. I will catch up, but need to start logging more miles. Might be forced to run on the hamster wheel at the gym ....ugh.