naval piercing, opinions pleeeaaase!!!

Options
So, tomorrow i'm getting my naval pierced. I have not reached my ultimate goal weight yet, but I've lost almost forty pounds and am ready to have something to show for it. I'm currently 5"5" and 156lbs, wearing a juniors size 11. Anyone similar in size to me that has their naval pierced-- give me your thoughts, opinions, or even pictures!! I don't think you have to have a totally flaaat stomach to get it done, but I still wonder what others think.

Replies

• DrowningMermaid
    Options
    Personally, I would wait. I don't know what your ultimate weight loss goal is, but if you plan on losing a lot more, your stomach and navel could change shape, position, etc. You want to make sure when you get it pierced, that it's right where you want it because that's not an easy spot to heal. You have to be very careful with it for weeks on end and clean it often. You're going to hate it if you lose more weight and your belly changes shape and makes your piercing lopsided or something.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had my belly button pierced at 150 pounds. That was supposed to be my incentive for losing 25 pounds. Instead, I gained 46. I am now at 144 and I don't think my belly button has shifted or changed any and my piercing is still in the same place. If that's your reward, go for it! But you may want to play it safe, because everybody is different. Good luck!
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    I say do it. I have mine and the worst thing that has changed is the skin that's pierced got a lil looser. My sister kept hers in threw pregnancy( gaining 40 pounds) the losing it all and if looks fine minus the stretch mark right next to it. Ur piecing can become crooked for any reason--piercer, muscle change, nerves, weight loss or gain. If I want it, do it. I'm still losing after I got mine
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I had mine pierced when I was much bigger than you, and loved it. But then, I wear a bikini whatever size I am too.
    If you want it, get it and enjoy it, other people will see that confidence in you.

I stopped wearing it a few years ago, but the hole is still there and even though I've lost weight it doesn't look like it's in a different spot or anything.

Make sure you pay attention to what they tell you about keeping it clean while it's healing, mine got infected and it wasn't a pretty sight for quite some time. I think that's fairly common with belly piercings, but hopefully not for you!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just do it now! I got mine pierced when I was really young, and I was thin then. I gained about 30lbs at my highest weight, and now I've lost 16 lbs and my belly button/piercing looks fine. I'm really happy with the changes I've seen I've started working out. I'm 5'4" and 139lbs now, and my highest weight was 155lbs.

Do it now because then it will be all healed by the time you get to your goal weight!
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    Options
    I got mine pierced when I was 19 and pretty skinny 5'6" and 120lbs or so. I gained (due to a condition they couldn't figure out) about 65-70lbs or so as of last year. Didn't change. Also now I've lost about 30 lbs and I'm at about 160lbs and it still hasn't changed really, so if you want it get it! Some people have it change during pregnancy and whatnot, but some don't depends on the person!
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents. I would wait, because I think it only look sexy when you reach your goal weight vice now.
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    don't do it! you will eventually tire of it, take it out and all you're left with is a gross scar. seriously compared to other piercing options the scar is terrible.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I don't have a naval piercing but I think since you are still losing weight that you should wait. Also, just some fruit for thought, will you regret looking at that naval piercing when your 70 years old and left with an ugly scar???
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I had my belly button pierced, but then my body started to reject it and eventually it just closed up. So make sure you go to a good piercing studio (I had my friend pierce mine) and take good care of it. The great thing about piercings is that even if they close up, you can get them redone later!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    either have it done with a piercing, gives you something to look when working those abs....extra motivation. Another option is to get a micro dermal/transdermal piercing....the base sits in the sub q fat layer under the skin, so is less prone to distortion, as you lose weight....
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had mine done when I was bigger. Didn't really care what people thought of me and would show it off whenever I could. Mine was rejected after some time (probably did not clean it enough) and now I have this UGLY scar on my stomach. It does not compare to stretch marks but still. If you are going to do it make sure you can keep it CLEAN!! It is very important unless you want a ugly scar on your stomach. You could also wait until you hit your goal to give you something to look forward to still.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had mine done 10 years ago when I was 17. I'm 5'5'' and I weighed between 148-152. I went through 2 pregnancies, weight gain and loss. Currently at 130 and my piercing still looks fine.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    do it! get your navel done.

yolo, right?
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for it to take a long time to heal. It gets easily infected and if you ever decide to take it out for good you can expect a lot of drainage. I had my belly button pierced in my late teens and had to take it out in my early 20's for surgery. I decided a few years later to get it done again. Weight gain really did a number on my piercing and it kept getting infected which is the reason I took it out a second time later in life. The choice is up to you though and if you want to get one they are really cute. My advice would be to read up on caring for the piercing and other things to expect after you have it done.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a scar. I took it out during first pregnancy because it just was freaking me out when the skin was stretched and the ring was kind of showing through. I never put it back because I had loose skin afterward and got pregnant again. I tried to put a ring back in now tht my abs is nicer, but couldn't get it all the way through inside the naval. You can see the hole in my pic. I was told by the piercer to mix Epsom salt with warm water and cover the whole ring with the solution in a little Dixie cup once a day (I forgot for how long). My piercing healed really well and fairly fast. You might want to try that.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I've had a naval piercing since 2001. I started with a 14 gauge curved barbell, but I keep a 16 gauge captive bead in it now.

Choose a good studio (mine reminded me of a dentist office in how clean it was); keep the piercing clean (the piercer should tell you how to do this); avoid low quality jewelry.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I got mine the second week of college (it was 1998, it was required). I still have it and would get it redone in a minute if I ever had to take it out. The big thing is to take care of it. Very gentle, non-drying cleanser (I like Satin) 2 times a day and sea salt soaks help too. My navel was my first piercing and took forever to heal and got infected a couple times in the process. I got my nether regions pierced too and that healed very quickly. I followed the instructions from virtueandvice.com and it healed quickly and perfectly with no pain after the actual piercing (THAT HURT, LOTS).
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wait till you got the waist you desire! I was rounder when I got my piercing and now that I lost weight the pierced area doesn't look very nice, happends in alota people
  • dmw1493
    dmw1493 Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't have a naval piercing but I think since you are still losing weight that you should wait. Also, just some fruit for thought, will you regret looking at that naval piercing when your 70 years old and left with an ugly scar???

yeah, so i already have a scar there from when i pierced it myself when i was fifteen. obviously that wasn't a good idea and it didn't last but two weeks.

plus, i have an industrial, three other cartilage, four lobe piercings in each ear (two holes that have been gauged up to a size 8), a rook, tongue, nose, AND eyebrow piercing. and two tattoos so far. i'm not concerned about my seventy year old self. i don't believe in regrets. (: