HIIT and 20 min Strength

Options
I've read that doing HIIT 15-20 min 3-4 times a week is better then doing 1 hour long cardio workout 3 x's a week. Also, doing 20 min of strength training (using only body weight) 3 times a week is all that is needed. The strength training would be compound movements 12 x 3. Such as squats, push ups, step ups, lunges, planks (as long as can)...etc. But I see that everyone else does much longer workouts. Will the above workout not be enough a week? This is to lose fat and firm up.

Replies

• Bump. :)
  • TinamarZDF
    TinamarZDF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi! Anyone?
  • TinamarZDF
    Options
    I've searched through the topics as well to find the answers.
  • megjeg
    megjeg Posts: 18
    Options
    Well, this is exactly what my routine consists of now- Strength Training(30-45 mins) x3 times a week + 20 mins HIIT x3 times a week. I do the Strength and HIT on alternate days and take 1 day off every week :-). Seems to be working for me!
    My Goal was just to tone up tho, maintain my endurance and lose some body fat.

FYI- I do the strength training with weights and have been following this routine for just over a month. Prior to this I was doing a mix of Cardio + Circuit Training- 1 hrs x 6 days a week. So far, I'm liking my new routine better.
  • TinamarZDF
    Options
    Thanks for responding. As mentioned I'm doing body weight training and I've found some good online information on this. It shows how you can make each compound move more challenging. I love it - it's simple, free and I can do it at home or at work.; when I make myself do it.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I've been doing Turbo Fire low-impact HIITs 2-3x per week and 30 to 40 minutes of strength training 2-3x per week. I try to start heavy on the weights (heavy for me is pretty light) and drop back if I have to. I also try to squeeze in at least 20 minutes of yoga 5 days a week. I've been doing this for about three weeks and love it. The HIITs give me an energy boost like no other exercise I've done. Amazing. I'm not losing much weight but my clothes are getting too big so something must be happening. I love my new routine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why not just try it for a few weeks to see how it works for you?

what's better or worse is relative. anything that YOU can do on a consistent basis is what's going to be best
  • TinamarZDF
    Options
    That's my major problem is being consistent oh and uh sugar....:sad:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Seems like it should be fine. HIIT is been my primary source of cardio for the last several months and the results have been great. My lifting sessions go longer that what you're talking about, but I've been lifting for a long time so my routine will vary more. But working some basic compound bodyweight exercises should only be 20 mins or less, just like you're doing and you should be able to gain from them.

Sounds like a good plan and I wish you luck!
  • TinamarZDF
    Options
    Thank you so much!! Next step is to be consistent.