Weight loss/Muscle gain simultaneously?

Options
I'm new, and learning a lot. I've seen many comments that state "You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit".

So if I am strength training and cardio, while averaging a net of 1200 cals a day and trying to lose fat, the strength training is moot? I don't really see how that works when I can FEEL the sore that means I am working my muscles.

Can someone clarify this a little for me?

Replies

• hellohoney86
    Options
    holy crap busy forums. Bump :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm new, and learning a lot. I've seen many comments that state "You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit".

So if I am strength training and cardio, while averaging a net of 1200 cals a day and trying to lose fat, the strength training is moot? I don't really see how that works when I can FEEL the sore that means I am working my muscles.

The strength training is not moot. It will help you to preserve the muscle tissue you have and insure that your loss is primarily fat. It is almost impossible to grow new muscle tissue in a calories deficit and even more so at a minimum of 1200 calories plus exercise calories but that doesn't mean you can't develop and strengthen the muscle tissue you have!
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had pretty much the same question yesterday and got some really good information.

If you're interested, the link is here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/639734-question-for-the-heavy-lifters-out-there
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

The strength training is not moot. It will help you to preserve the muscle tissue you have and insure that your loss is primarily fat. It is almost impossible to grow new muscle tissue in a calories deficit and even more so at a minimum of 1200 calories plus exercise calories but that doesn't mean you can't develop and strengthen the muscle tissue you have!

This pretty much sums it up. In addition you are a newbie to heavy lifting. You might be able to get some newbie gains at first....if you are severely obese it might be possible to still gain a small amount as well. Also....you can still gain strength even if you don't gain mucsle
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Newbies can (usually) put on some muscle while strength training in a calorie deficit, usually because you are getting enough calories from body fat.

But after a short while when/if your metabolism slows down, if you don't up the calories you run the risk of not fueling the muscle growth any longer.
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think it is... and I have. I do believe that it is more about effort than anything. As long as you have above a 10-12%(for men) (20%+ for women) body fat I believe it can be done. This also depends on how close your eating to your maintnance calories. I agree if you are in an extreme deficit your definatly not going to be able to build at the same time or at leat it will be limited. Lifting will assist no matter what however just know that muscle building is very slow compared to fat loss. :)
  • hellohoney86
    Options
    thanks so much for the answers everyone! It makes a little more sense now :o)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've recomped (what you're describing...losing fat and gaining muscle) BUT I was already at goal weight - had been for a while - and I did it eating higher calorie, like 1600-1800. It is a slow and sometimes paining process, because it takes a long time to get noticeable results. But for me, it was worth it. In 3 months time, I gained 5 pounds, lost 3 and lost 3% body fat. It was like a hybrid mini bulk/cut/recomp in one.
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Exactly what kdiamond said. It can be done. BUT it is WORK. Good luck and know that it IS worth it!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy (for me) on a caloric deficit for a couple of months+ now. I've been tracking my weight and waistline, and using calculators to estimate body fat percentage and lean body mass.

My body weight has dropped, my stomach has shrunk, my muscles certainly seem a lot larger, and my estimated BFP has dropped and my LBM has gone up a few pounds in the past month.

There's going to be some LBM increases as your muscles retain more water at the beginnning, so it's hard to claim that initial increases in LBM are muscle.

So from my own current experience, I think it's possible, at least for someone with a bunch of fat to shed.

Your best bet is to try it and see if you like the body changes. Even if it's water weight or whatever, if you look better, you'll feel better, and you'll be happier.

Good luck!