College Cafeteria=gross!

Options
mar109
mar109 Posts: 101 Member
Hello all!
I am new to MFP, and I just had a few questions about eating healthy on a meal plan! I am currently a student and over the years of partying and bad food choices I gained nearly 50lbs. I'm trying to get back on track again to lose it all, but the problem is that I have this meal plan! Since I live on campus in a dorm it's basically required. The food here is disgusting, and I find myself just eating salads everyday and it gets boring and temps me to cheat. HELP! How can i stay healthy when I'm eating from a college caf?

Replies

• snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    While I don't have a SOLUTION for the gross foods that are served in the dorms... this is what worked for me when I was in college (I have gained weight since then when I went from being in college to sitting at a desk)....

Drink a huge gulp of water between every bite. that way you won't eat as much of the gross foods.

look for the carbs that are brown. while they probably aren't whole grains, they may be a bit better than the white bleached flour, and will be turned into energy slower, so you won't get AS hungry later.

don't pick up anything that you KNOW is fried.

only eat 1/2 your meal, and sneak the rest upstairs.
    while 1/2 probably won't fill you up. if you bring the rest to your room and store it in your mini fridge, you can eat your meals more spread out, and keep your metabolism running at a steady rate.

do you have any big gaps between classes? I am convinced this is what made the lose the weight. I was bored between classes (not like now when I only have the choice of before or after work- before I don't want to wake up, and after I am too tired from work:grumble: )

if you're already on campus, and have time, stop in the school gym... or bring a change of clothes with your tote bag and run around campus on your breaks. I did this 3 times a week for about 50 minutes and saw great results.

stay away from late night eating, and try not to drink so much, they are just empty calories... if you have to have a drink or 2 or 3 (i know how that goes) stay awa from beer, try and do like a gin and tonic with a lime slice.

hope this helps and good luck.
  • mar109
    Options
    thanks for your advice, ill definitely try those ideas!
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    After working in higher ed for years and years, and eating in the dining hall, I have some bits of advice:

1. Don't get bored. Eating in the same place everyday, with the same people, with food that all looks the same after awhile, can all lead to overeating, esp. when it's "all you can eat." Try to sit at a new table every day, with different people.

2. Don't be a sampler. You get one item, eat a few bites, don't like it, get up and get something else, eat a few bites, don't like it, get up and get something else .... before you know it you've eaten a lot of calories and still aren't satisfied. If you don't like your first choice, grab some fruit or a salad and call it a meal.

3. Avoid the bank of sugary cereal dispensers! It may be the most appealing item, but not the healthiest.

4. Part of the problem might be that you don't really know what you're getting. Most of the major food service companies have a nutritionist on staff. Ask them to post the nutrition values of the food. They should be happy to accommodate. If not, whine and complain. It's your dollars ....

Good luck.
  • mrsbice
    Options
    i had the same issue! 50 lbs to lose too.

i have a school type cafeteria where i work, and here is what i do....salad, yes, but i bring my own little toppings with me (dried cranberries, sliced almonds, stuff that does not have to be refrigerated)...this way i don't get bored with that offering.

if they have a supreme pizza, i get a slice with the most veggies and eat those off with some of the cheese (i blot the grease off with a napkin before eating, to try and save myself some of the bad stuff).

if you have a good salad bar, with more toppings, i get those w/o the salad half the time (cucumbers, boiled eggs, tomatoes, etc)

We also have a soup most days. As long as it is not cream based, i get that sometimes.

hope this helps.
  • mrsbice
    Options
    and as a p.s.

if there is ANY way you can get out the meal plan--do it!

i lived in the dorms and after the first year i wormed my way out of the meal plan (come to find out you only had to have it for a year, and after that it was optional, they just didn't advertise that). try to find a loop hole.
  • mar109
    Options
    thanks for all the advice everyone!!
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    I am a senior in college and have eaten in the dining hall for 4 years now.

My first 2.5 years I ate the normal crap. The cheesy pizza, ice cream, all the bad stuff. But then I changed my life style around and lost over 60 lb STILL eating in the dining hall. It can be done :)

Here are a few sample meals I create in the dining hall:

Big colorful salad with lettuce, tomato, onion, olives and either some grilled chicken or tuna with a light dressing, half a slice of whole wheat bread and an apple.

English muffin pizza with either a side salad, or some type of steamed veggies.

Whole wheat bun with veggi burger and some side veggies or fresh fruit.

Breakfast favorite- Omlet made with fresh veggies, grapefruit, whole wheat toast.

Or try something like my Mexican Salad. Take a base salad of greens and add some cut up chicken, salsa, little bit of brown rice, and some spices. even maybe a little fat free ranch dressing (instead of sour cream)

Good luck!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know that when I was in college, my challenge was that I would get too hungry in class and by the time I would get to the cafeteria I was starving! It's so much harder to have a clear head and make good choices when you let yourself get to that point...I'd go in thinking I would eat healthy, and then I'd spot the cheesy carbs and I was a gonner.

I recommend keeping healthy snacks (protein & produce) in your bag so at least you aren't starving when you arrive at the cafeteria. I know that helped me!