1 year of atkins induction?

Options
Hi all

i have a question - a year of Atkins induction - with your 20-25g of carbs from veg and a multi vitamin

is it possible?

i know the original Atkins books said that if you had a lot of weight to lose then you stay on induction as long as you like. but that has now changed to 2 weeks.

what are peoples thoughts?

Replies

• RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I read the original book and I agree!! I have mine set on here as 30 but I never reach it. I mostly eat a meat with vegetables, or just a veggie casserole. I think if I were to raise my carbs more than this, I would not lose the weight I need to lose, which is about 80 more pounds. :happy:
  • jmeade524
    jmeade524 Posts: 7
    Options
    I've done some research on this and have found that staying very strict on low carb is not good for your energy levels and overall calorie burning. The best proven method of continued long term weight loss is to do a "Carb Cycle" strategy. The idea is to eat low-carb to no-carb for 2-3 days, then have a day where you eat small portions of complex carbs, returning the next day to low/no carb eating. This strategy keeps your energy level and fat/calorie burn processes high by keeping your stores of complex carbs stocked without overflowing. I love it and it's helped me lose the weight and keep it off long term. I'm currently at my goal weight of 125 pounds and staying there with this strategy and exercise!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Induction until within 14 lbs of goal was suggested recently by a Nutrionist (employed by Atkins).

The 2 weeks is the minimum induction.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Induction until within 14 lbs of goal was suggested recently by a Nutrionist (employed by Atkins).

The 2 weeks is the minimum induction.

Yeh most Atkins low carbers when I was doing it were staying at induction way longer than 2 weeks. For me it didn't work staying that low because I would lose weight, binge on carbs, re-gain, start all over. Yes, this was my issue - why did I binge??
    If its working for you, keep it up but I wouldn't ever go that low on carbs again, instead lower to about 100g.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you feel. I have no problem with energy and no problem with staying on track. To me 100 grams is not loe carb, but it might work for yo.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I dont think carbs under 30 all time is good either....Now i stay under my mfp set goals by about half usually on the carbs and i have no problems loosing weight, i think its more on getting the right amounts of protein and calories
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i did induction for 6 months before.
  • Patsfan1658
    Options
    I did it for 8 months..I had a few minor health issues and wonder if they were related..but I did lose weight..I have since joined the gym and weight watchers..but am still a firm believer in Atkins..
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I am planning on doing this for a while (either atkins induction or south beach phase 1)

Last time I did south beach phase 1, I lost 18 lbs in the two weeks. But I have a feeling I was a lot stricter than now because I am now not hungry as much as the first time, have energy, and am not losing as fast. Well part of that is because I have "cheated".

But I'm back on track today.

As hard as it is, I would like to do really low carb until I get to about 200. Maybe lower than that too. But ultimately, I would like to have a balanced diet where I know I will still have to watch carbs, but enjoy my rice, potatoes, fruit, and bread now and then.

Good luck doing induction. Its hard... but it seems to work really well.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    On your profile, what is the "1090 challenge, 1 year of atkins "... is that a group you are in or the number of meals in a year?
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you feel. I have no problem with energy and no problem with staying on track. To me 100 grams is not loe carb, but it might work for yo.

^^This. I've followed Induction, with a few exceptions, for 8 months and love it. I could do this for the rest of my life, now that I'm so used to it I automatically reach for the acceptable foods and have no taste for sugar. I have enough energy to work out twice a day (running and P90X). I look and feel healthier and happier than ever in my life. I went from a 24 to a 10!
  • tommiirugby
    tommiirugby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @ romans624 - its the number of meals in a year - I have decided i will try and do it for a year of induction - see how much I can lose.

i feel that the induction stage really does work for me I lose weight and dont really feel the urge to binge on carbs - i will stick on it see how it goes for 1 year