spaghetti squash

Options
Hi can anyone tell me some more about this sounds a very nice alternative to pasta?

Replies

• hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    isnt it where, they cut strands of sqaush inot strings and make like a spag bol with it, wont be a good as pasta like but id eat it.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    It's amazingly good i like it better than spaghetti if you go to eatbetteramerica.com they have a Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti squash it's great and what's for dinner tonight!
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    they even serve it at Ruby Tuesday...just roasted with some Olive Oil and salt&pepper
  • jac1967123
    jac1967123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    so is it just normal squash like butternut sqaush?
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    it is very good, and I can imagine, better for you than pasta. I put mine in the microwave to make it. Then I put regular spaghetti sauce on it. yum, or just put olive oil on it.
  • awanderer
    awanderer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is a smooth, pale yellow, oval shaped squash that is all stringy inside when cooked and looks just like spaghetti. It makes an ok spaghetti substitute and it's also good when you top it like a Greek salad. Cook it whole (poke some holes in it so it doesn't explode) in a 450 oven for about an hour.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's a specific kind of squash that, when cooked, the meat comes out in strands very similar to spaghetti. It's not just any squash.
  • nicoleandlosing
    nicoleandlosing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash and I hate squash. It is so easy to make and has way less calories then pasta!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/spagsquash.htm
  • Teresa3612
    Teresa3612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You cut the spaghetti squash in half longwise and bake it in the oven till done. Then scrap it out. It comes out stringy and looks similar to pasta. After that I put it in a 9x13 dish with my favorite spaghetti sauce and top with a little cheese and bake at 350 till bubbly. I love it!

Try it! You'll like it! :wink:
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Googled: How to make spaghetti squash and found this:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/spagsquash.htm
  • kelliboyle
    Options
    I make spaghetti squash often when it is in season. I bake it in a shallow pan of water in the oven. I have either poked it with a fork several times or cut it in half and put the cut half down in the pan. When it is cooked (350 degrees for 45 minutes to hour. When it is cooked it looks a lot like spaghetti and I have served it with spaghetti sauce or you can add butter/brown sugar. It has a different texture than pasta, but it is very good. Good luck! Kelli:smile:
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    yes, but it's stringy when you open it up (at least if it's cooked...I've never opened a raw one). We separate the strings a little with a fork before serving.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

No, it's nothing like the other squashes. It's not mushy for one, and you don't "cut" it into strings, it naturally comes out that way. It has a bit of a crunch to it, which I like. I have not tried it as pasta yet, but I will someday. I have had it with a little butter and herbs, and also with a little butter and Parmesan cheese.
  • jac1967123
    Options
    thank you everyone does anyone know if its available in the UK?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I make spaghetti squash often when it is in season. I bake it in a shallow pan of water in the oven. I have either poked it with a fork several times or cut it in half and put the cut half down in the pan. When it is cooked (350 degrees for 45 minutes to hour. When it is cooked it looks a lot like spaghetti and I have served it with spaghetti sauce or you can add butter/brown sugar. It has a different texture than pasta, but it is very good. Good luck! Kelli:smile:

You can also cook it in the microwave. I cut it in half lengthwise and take out the seeds (like a normal squash), put it facedown in a shallow dish with about 1 cup of water and microwave for about 10-15 minutes.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's om nom nom nom! I cut it in half longway, scrape out the seeds and guts, put it on a baking sheet and cook for about 30 min @ 375.. take it out, let it cool, and then shred out the insides with a fork. It comes out nice and stringy like spaghetti! It also absorbs flavor very well like pasta, so you can substite it in a lot of recipes. I like to saute chicken, red, orange, and yellow peppers, onions, and a can of diced tomatoes, then toss in the spaghetti squash "noodles,' top with about a half a cup shredded cheese, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. It's yummy & low cal!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, lay face down in a shallow dish with a bit of water and microwave for a few minutes. Scrape out with a fork and toss with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, chili flake and finely grated parmesan reggiano....oh yum!
  • jac1967123
    Options
    sounds so lovely i want to try and find it and give it a go :-)
  • debiw931
    debiw931 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have just discovered spaghetti squash and it is my new favorite vegetable. Very low in calories. I have topped it with spaghetti sauce plain and with shrimp added. I have also had it with some butter and parm cheese. Love it both ways. I cut mine in half. scrap out seeds, put it cut side down in a microwave dish (no water), cover with plastic wrap leaving a vent hole and cook until done (about 10-20 minutes depending on size), then scrap out with a fork. It will be slightly crunchy. Yum yum!

Can't wait to try some of the other recipes here!