Vegan/Vegetarian

Options
Hi all I am probably gonna become one of these later on next month. But don't know how I would be able to get my protein or fiber in.. I do not want to take any supplements nor powder because I can not afford that stuff. What do you recommend. And if you are one can you tell me where to get nice dinner recipes?

Is vegan and vegetarian like the same? Or is it different. Please explain..

(will reply when I wake up thank you for all the comments so far if there will be any)

Replies

• MrsJaimeW
    MrsJaimeW Posts: 54
    Options
    a vegan doesn't eat or use animal products.. so no milk, eggs...anything dairy.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Vegan is avoiding all animal products and anything derived from an animal (meat, dairy, eggs, honey, fish, etc.). Vegetarian is avoiding meat and poultry but generally still eating dairy and eggs. There are subcategories for this as well, such as lacto-vegetarian or pescatarian (me! I don't eat meat but occasionally eat fish). It is not challenging to get your fiber needs, fiber is in fruits and vegetables! Fresh fruit is great, but unsweetened frozen will work too for economic reasons. Protein can be a bit harder. I would suggest beans & meat substitute products (I like boca vegan burgers and trader Joel's chicken-less chicken strips). If you're not vegan, Greek yogurt is also great and can be cheap!
    I would suggest tracking your food for awhile to make sure you're getting all the protein you need. The one vitamin that is somewhat challenging to get on a vegetarian diet is B12, but a multivitamin or super-B Complex supplement helps with that. Check with your doctor too to make sure he knows you're not eating meat and can provide you with additional tips : ) I became vegetarian 7 years ago and have never looked back! You can google a lot for the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, just make sure it's a reputable website. Best of luck!
  • thinnerthaniam
    thinnerthaniam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You get plenty of fiber from fruits and vegetables....check out this website dole5aday.com. Also, I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near by but they have a Five Seed Almond Bar that's pretty delicious! All nuts have plenty of protein...so does Spirulina or wheat grass....etc.
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    well I get my protein from eggs, Beans, Cottage cheese, low fat Yogurt, I do use Whey protein I make shakes and homemade protein bars with it. I also do still eat alot of the Morning star veggie products. I'm sticking to vegetarian as of now no intensions of going vegan yet...