I don't know where I belong anymore

Options
After spending over two years here at MFP and staying at an endless plateau, I got a Bodymedia, figured out my TDEE and started eating at a 15% cut. I realized that my deficits were massive before, and so that would make sense to the plateau. I joined Eat More To Weigh Less as I believe and still do believe that you don't have to starve at 1200-1400 calories to lose weight. It's not sustainable. I workout a lot since I'm a fitness instructor so I know I need to fuel my body.

After doing this new calorie intake for 7 weeks, I ended up gaining 11lbs and inches. Even though I was eating less than I burned. (Yes I measure/track everything to a fault)

So I don't feel like I belong to these threads talking about 1000-1200 calorie diets...because that didn't work. But I feel I've gone rogue from EM2WL because it didn't work for me either. I'm now stuck with 11 pounds to lose....but eating the 18-1900 calories that I'm doing now is sometimes giving me 1400 calories deficits....which I know isn't good either. :sad:

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that perhaps you are at the perfect weight for your body? I looked at your pictures and you look wonderful, and you seem tall (t me anyways im super short HEHE) I think you look fab, great body for your height. I really dont see where you would lose more weight. Maybe your body is trying to tell you that it is healthy and happy!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can lose when eating more. Some can, some can't. The idea that one formula works for everyone is absurd.

Figure out what you need to eat to lose and eat that. It will be different than someone else's needs. Also, check out any possible medical conditions.

Eating at a deficit might slow your metabolism, but unless there is something medically wrong or your counts are off, you should not be at a plateau.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that perhaps you are at the perfect weight for your body? I looked at your pictures and you look wonderful, and you seem tall (t me anyways im super short HEHE) I think you look fab, great body for your height. I really dont see where you would lose more weight. Maybe your body is trying to tell you that it is healthy and happy!
    I may have been before I gained the 11 pounds! I don't look like those pictures right now. LOL! If I can lose the weight I gained I think I'll just be happy where I was. I'm crying uncle. I will never see the 140's again!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: have you considered making changes in "what" you eat
    adding a lot more vegetables, eliminating things like bread, salad dressings, all processed foods ?
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Awww......Gray........:heart::flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Miss you Sweetie and hope you figure it all out soon........:smooched:
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I may have been before I gained the 11 pounds! I don't look like those pictures right now. LOL! If I can lose the weight I gained I think I'll just be happy where I was. I'm crying uncle. I will never see the 140's again!

yes except the 11lbs. lol
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that as a fitness instructor you might have acclimatised so much doing your regular classes that you're not burning quite as much as you think?

I have friends who are Les Mills instructors for RPM, Body Combat etc etc and they teach so regularly that they literally breeze through instructing without feeling too put out by it.

Do you do much training outside of the classes you instruct that you could mix it up a bit more?
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    When I was talking to my doctor about my weight loss she said " You are losing weight in a healthy way. That means when you stop losing weight, it is because your body has found a healthy weight for it to be"

I agree with the first poster there- maybe you had just reached the right weight for your body. Forget the numbers. Think about all the things you can do now you couldn't do before you lost the 25 pounds.

Congrats on what you have lost. Congrats on being a fitness instructor and busting your *kitten* every day, just so everyone else's can be smaller! :D
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you measure everything to a fault, then the only explanation can be that your bodymedia is not working for you.

Take a couple of those days and calculate your daily expenditure manually and see what you come up with.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    What does your BodyMedia say you burn? So you're gaining at 1800-1900 PLUS eating back? But too hungry at 1400? I think you just need to find the middle ground in there. I honestly wouldn't worry about the "your NET is too large" stuff. I'd figure out what I burn on an average day of the week including exercise and deduct 500-750.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've never been much for dogma of any kind. I try to take the bits and pieces that make sense for me and discard the rest. Everyone has different needs. Life-style plays such an important role in the thing that I don't see how a "system" could ever solve everyone's problems. It seems to me that if you are moving all day long, and it sounds like you are, then you need to sustain yourself all day long too.

I try to graze all day and not take in more than my body needs as though it is fuel. It works for my car. My car has zero percent body fat.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    stinks being lost :( losing weight is too damn hard!

My only other thought, since it seems that you've given things a good try already, is maybe you should stop logging? Eat when you're hungry, eat "clean," just follow your intuition? I think it's very possible that our bodies probably know what's best- better than our OCD, over-thinking minds do!

But that seems scary too, since (I know this is true for me, anyhow) being without MFP is what caused a downward spiral of flubber and misery! But then again... maybe you've learned enough.

<3
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    After spending over two years here at MFP and staying at an endless plateau, I got a Bodymedia, figured out my TDEE and started eating at a 15% cut. I realized that my deficits were massive before, and so that would make sense to the plateau. I joined Eat More To Weigh Less as I believe and still do believe that you don't have to starve at 1200-1400 calories to lose weight. It's not sustainable. I workout a lot since I'm a fitness instructor so I know I need to fuel my body.

After doing this new calorie intake for 7 weeks, I ended up gaining 11lbs and inches. Even though I was eating less than I burned. (Yes I measure/track everything to a fault)

So I don't feel like I belong to these threads talking about 1000-1200 calorie diets...because that didn't work. But I feel I've gone rogue from EM2WL because it didn't work for me either. I'm now stuck with 11 pounds to lose....but eating the 18-1900 calories that I'm doing now is sometimes giving me 1400 calories deficits....which I know isn't good either. :sad:

I know eating more has not helped you and I have read your struggles. I would try zig-zagging calories next and give it a good solid month. I read another post last week that this really helped someone break through. I believe she got her calorie count from freedieting.com

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! You can and will rock it!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It does sound like over the years you have become a bit number crazy! I know you track very carefully and eat healthy, so instead of scrutinizing every calorie you eat to make sure you hit TDEE - 15% maybe just eat until you feel good and full? If you are satisfied and feel good at 1800-1900 cals/day then stay there and see how your body reacts! The one part of EM2WL I can't get on board with is the "eat until you hit your calorie goal even if your stuffed"...sometimes your body tells you all you need to know!

On a separate note, I have always found that for fast weight loss, phase 1 of south beach diet really does work and would probably help you shed those 11 lbs pretty quickly!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Try cutting your carbs. I know this may not be or everyone, but I eat the same amount of calories that you do, but less carbs.

I love this article

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1tS2Cgl87
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue lately and gained 14lbs really rapidly. I looked fine but fel like a cow.

My head was swarming with mfp info and mis-info!!

Honestly I went back to basics. Burning more than i was consuming with an emphasis on good food.

I now just eat set calories and don't log my excercize. It works for me and it may not work for all...I can't apologize for not lifting or not eating 1800 cals. It just isn't my goal. We have to stay mindful of our own goals...not others.

once u get into your groove the 11 will come off fast...it will all be a distant memory.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Tell me if I have this right, before you were trying to net about 1200 and now you're trying to gross about 2200 without adjusting for calorie burn? I'm just confused as to how you're calculating what you're supposed to be eating because I don't see exercise adjustments. Most of the people I know who are using bodybuggs or bodyfits have a daily tdee adjustment and I'm not seeing yours. Actually as I look back 8 or 9 weeks you're eating at almost the same exact consumption you were then.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Try keeping your numbers out of the red and eating a little cleaner with more fruits and veggies and less processed foods and snacks. Watch carefully as your calories, carbs and fats have exceeded by hundreds on many days and even more so is the sodium by 1,500 to 2,000 over. That could be contributing to the stall.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize the exercise thing either. Lost me on this one without keeping some sort of track of what is expended! You look great if that is any consolation despite the 11 lbs not in the pic. Take all this awesome advice and run with it :-)
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think you looked wonderful before, I understand that you have gained 11lbs but you can get rid of that by lowering your calories for a couple of weeks, I bet 5lbs of that 11 is water....

Looking back at your pics in the aqua bikini, I think you look amazing !! and I agree with what another poster said.... you are AT goal weight, where your body likes to be.....

Another good suggestion you receieved was to lower your carbs, this will make you lean out a bit more, and really maybe that is all you are after.

I know 5 women in real life, who are super ripped, lean and look fantastic. Wearing size 2-6 and they all weigh between 135-160 lbs.........wayyyyyyyy higher than one would think.