bowflex treadclimber

Options
Hello!

I am thinking of purchasing a used Bowflex TC1000 treadclimber and was wondering if anybody else owns (or uses) one?

The reviews that I see online are not very good. What do you think?

Replies

• JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how it would be different than a regular treadmill at an incline....
  • swerth
    Options
    I have used the one at the gym and it gives a good work out but you can not go over 4mph and it takes a little while to figure how to walk correctly on it and you are supposed to hold on to the hand rails. I like to use at gym but if was buying would buy treadmill with incline feature.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As a rule, bowflex branded products are overpriced for the quality of the product. About 3 yrs ago Costco had a Bowflex strength unit set up in one of their stores and it was the first time I had ever seen one close up. I was stunned at the poor quality of construction vs the price they were charging. I have been in the fitness business a long time and sold fitness equipment for 8 years and I don't know that I have ever seen a bigger price/quality mismatch that didn't have a "body by Jake" label on it.

That would be my first concern about the product. And this is a machine that has a relatively high number of moving parts (compared to a bike or treadmill), so if they cut corners at all, you could wind up with some chronic problems.

My second concern is the design of the machine itself. Don't be fooled by the hype--in terms of the actual movement, the TC is no better/no worse than anything else out there. Now, if you like that type of movement, that's fine--it can be as effective as anything else if you use it regularly. But I would not buy it based on the manufacturer's claims, because they are just nonsense. So the question is: would you find the gimmicky design of the TC1000 gets old after awhile? Would you prefer to have something more versatile like a treadmill. (I'm not saying there is a right/wrong answer--just be honest with yourself about why you are buying this particular machine).

Of course all of this might be a moot point, given that it is a used model. If the price is right, then it might be of value, even if you don't use it all the time.