Muscle twitches

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced muscle twitches (you know, like when your eye twitches) in the back of your thigh? They're not painful, just annoying. They last about 30 seconds and I've been feeling them for the last 3-4 days (I feel them atleast every half hour if not more often than that). Anyone know what causes them? Just wondering...

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi all,

Has anyone experienced muscle twitches (you know, like when your eye twitches) in the back of your thigh? They're not painful, just annoying. They last about 30 seconds and I've been feeling them for the last 3-4 days (I feel them atleast every half hour if not more often than that). Anyone know what causes them? Just wondering...
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I used to have them from time to time. Seems like they are gone since I stared paying more attention to what I eat and exercise regularly.

As far as I remember it's got something to do with minerals, probably not enough magnesium, but I'm not sure.

I guess somebody with better nutrition knowledge will answer it soon :smile:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have heard that muscle twitches/spasms could be caused by a lack of potassium in the diet.
    Bananas are a good source of it, if you don't like taking a supplement.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hello, i have also heard lack of potassium and also WATER!! My husband was a wrestler in college and he has told me when ever i get spasms or charley horses drink lots of water....hope that helps!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I just learned (in nursing) that we have muscle twitches to keep our nervous system on track.....making sure we react etc.....I would not worry about it unless it last a long time...and is irritating...then consult your Dr.
    HTH:happy:
    zen
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Zen is right. My left forefinger has been twitching for two days on and off, annoying yes, painful no. The body is a funny thing!
  • FORMYBABY
    FORMYBABY Posts: 17
    Options
    I HAVE HAD TWITCHES BEFORE, BUT SINCE STARTING MY HEALTH EATING I HAVE HAD THEM REALLY BAD. I DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND EAT BANANAS AND TAKE VITAMINS. THEY ARE SO BAD THAT MY KIDS LAUGH AT THEM WHEN I GET THEM!! IT IS LIKE MY WHOLE THIGH IS TRYING TO TAKE ON A LIFE OF IT'S OWN!!

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    electrical pulses, your muscles are getting what they may not have been getting for a period of time. This too shall pass, annoying in the meantime but at least you are free family entertainment while it lasts! :laugh:
  • kmccleery04
    kmccleery04 Posts: 20
    Options
    I used to get them in my rear :laugh: it was always funny!!! I eat a banana almost everyday if not every other day. Drinking more water stopped the excessive butt twitches!!! Pretty funny when it happens though!!! lol drink lots of water!!! I try water compititions with myself everyday. One day I will win!