Heading to Korea........

Options
So I am heading to South Korea next week for a month. Already I am hearing and reading about the place I will be at has some of the best food in all of Korea. However they do not track calories and the such as we do here. So I figure if I stay away from or limit my rice intake, as I will be walking everyday, I should be ok. So any thoughts from anyone or helpful tips?

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    duck if you see a rocket fly overhead???
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I walked everyday, and I gained weight, when I was in Korea. I had massive amounts of food, though, because it was a vacation. Enjoy yourself. Don't get to carried away with your diet. You don't need rice, though. There are tons of yummy stuff that will fill you up: rice cakes, noodles, fish cakes, short ribs, rib-eye....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Be sure to wear your "RIP Kim Jong IL" t-shirt.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options

He's going to South Korea... o.O
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    duck if you see a rocket fly overhead???

Winner!
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi
    How exciting for you going to South Korea! I am envious of your month long break! Have a fab time.
    Anyway, I think Korean food will be fine for you. Like Chinese food, they quick cook a lot of veg, and while they eat a lot of meat and rice too, I guess you'll be doing lots of walking for sightseeing during your trip. I reckon you'll love it and come back healthy and invigorated! Enjoy. x
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think you have a great plan. They put sauce on EVERYTHING though. maybe try asking for less sauce also?
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to lose or at least maintain weight with all the walking. Eat kimchi and traditional Korean foods - stay away from sam gup sal though - it is basically fatty pork belly.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    He's going to South Korea... o.O
    Yes, because Kim Jong Il joke are only funny in North Korea. :huh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I spent two weeks in South Korea and did okay. First, it was so bloody hot, I sweated like crazy, and second, we found a couple of really good, healthy, vegetarian restaurants. But yeah, limit the rice a bit, and if possible ask for the Korea breakfast at the hotel (instead of the American one they will likely bring you).
    Eat tons of kimchi to fill yourself up too! Good and good for you! Kimchi pancakes would be good and safe too.
    We ate at a lot of "hot pot" restaurants too, where we cooked our own steak and vegetables. Can't go wrong there!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My family lives out in Korea (half korean)...the best thing to do is to make sure to keep your portions small and rice at bay lol Their noodles are amazing but I know that can get out of hand when eating. Drink plenty of water before you eat and make sure to try the Bulgogi...very tasty meat :wink:
  • RAZORBACK82
    RAZORBACK82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was there for 18 months .... Great food and good times.. most of the nationals are very thin and fit for the most part; main diet consist of rice and other lean meats, which causes some people to gain weight because of over indulging .... LOVE THE BULGOGI

Just don't eat the chicken on a stick....... no telling what you may be eating..... Have fun .....Oh and if you have SoJu be moderate because it will knock you on your Butt...

Wishing you safe travels in advance
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was there for 18 months .... Great food and good times.. most of the nationals are very thin and fit for the most part; main diet consist of rice and other lean meats, which causes some people to gain weight because of over indulging .... LOVE THE BULGOGI

Just don't eat the chicken on a stick....... no telling what you may be eating..... Have fun .....Oh and if you have SoJu be moderate because it will knock you on your Butt...

Wishing you safe travels in advance
    LOVE BULGOGI. Found a restaurant here that has a pretty authentic one. YUM.
  • Metrotide
    Metrotide Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have the intelligence portion covered though. ;)
  • Metrotide
    Metrotide Posts: 17
    Options
    I heard about the Soju, looking forward to trying it once in moderation!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was there last year for about a week and a half and LOVED it! There was a lot of amazing food, so make sure you get to try it all and just eat smaller portions. Bibimbap is my favorite and it is usually topped with an egg, veggies and sometimes beef (over rice). Also, they have some of the best beef that I have ever had, so make sure you get some!
  • ScruffyMuscle
    ScruffyMuscle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live here and it's pretty good. People will be shocked that you don't eat rice as your main dish. Try to exercise and eat TOFU. They call it Dubu and it's really cheap but highly perishable. I wish I had bought a tofu cookbook before coming here. I have been here 2.5 years.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    SO JEALOUS!

Where in Korea are you going? We were there last year to adopt our youngest. We spent 8 or 9 days there and I lost 6 lbs. I ate whatever I wanted, but we walked everywhere. We were in Seoul though, and used the subway a lot (think TONS of stairs). I personally wouldn't worry much about it. Korean food in general isn't that bad calorie wise. Any of the BBQ is awesome (bulgogi, ghal bi, dok bok eum). Bi Bim Bab is rice, veggies, meat, and an egg. Jap chae is excellent - glass noodles with veggies and sometimes meat. Lots of seafood based things too (which I don't care for). Just don't over do it on the rice and you should be fine.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Lots of vegi's