Calories burned strength training?

Options
How do you know how many if any calories you burn lifting weights? I'm sure you are bound to burn something. I just finished a 45 minute session with my trainer on the Natilus XPlode free weight machines. We worked the chest then I did abs and lunges and squats. I was told a HRM isn't accurate for weights.

Replies

• TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Free weight machine? That's a funny name.

There really isn't a great way to know. I'd just go with the MFP estimate for strength training.

I totally made mine up, based on how many calories I want to eat to help repair the muscle.
  • leighlyn
    leighlyn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing...
  • leighlyn
    leighlyn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options

There really isn't a great way to know. I'd just go with the MFP estimate for strength training.

I totally made mine up, based on how many calories I want to eat to help repair the muscle.

I cal it a free weight machine because you actually load the weight on the machine itself. There is no pin to place into a little hole in the weights. I wasn't sure about using the strength training option under the cardio category since I'm not really getting my heartrate up. Am I misunderstanding how that option works?
  • wellbert
    Options

I cal it a free weight machine because you actually load the weight on the machine itself. There is no pin to place into a little hole in the weights. I wasn't sure about using the strength training option under the cardio category since I'm not really getting my heartrate up. Am I misunderstanding how that option works?

Ah!

Yes.

It's under 'Cardio' so it tracks calories. The actually lifting stuff doesn't track calories. I
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you aren't getting your heart rate up during strength training, you probably aren't lifting enough weight. It should be hard.

I have a Polar FT80 HRM and it has a strength training mode which gives me calories. Generally it aligns with what I would get if I chose "strength training" under cardio exercises on MFP.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use Gain fitness and it will calculate calories burned at the end of the work out.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I track it under strength training in the cardio section. It gives me about 4 calories burned per minute, which I think is reasonable.

That is less than my HRM tells me, but as you said, HRMs are not accurate for strength training.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    But how accurate do you think it is since you really don't get your heartrate up. I mean I do a set of 12-15 reps, rest for about 60 seconds or so and do another rep. I'm not pushing through all of them and jumping up to another machine. I'm not real keen on all the lifting stuff and I figured when you do a circuit, that's how you are supposed to do it so your heartrate gets up (cardio). Am I misunderstanding how that works? UGH!

OH and I lift as heavy as I can. It does get hard to push through the last few reps. The weight I'm lifting is what my trainer has me on. Her husband is a professional body builder and she is built like a brick **** house. lol She actually trains men most of the time.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I go under cardio and track it as weights there. But its not very good because your body needs more cals then that to repair so I drink a protein shake after and call it good. I heard that the HRM during lifting IS good to use :happy:
  • wellbert
    Options
    Its just in the cardio section. Don't worry about your heartrate not being up.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Its just in the cardio section. Don't worry about your heartrate not being up.

Thanks
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor when I workout and that's including my 30 upper body with weights it tracks it
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

The type of machine you are using is referred to as 'Plate Loaded" , as opposed "pin selector" the Timex Ironman Global Trainer HRM has a strength training option and seems to be accurate in calorie tracking. They run about $150 on Amazon.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The database has strength or weight training as an option, it will calculate based on your weight how much you burnt.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump I want to know too.. and anyone know of any good programs online for weight training?
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options

The type of machine you are using is referred to as 'Plate Loaded" , as opposed "pin selector" the Timex Ironman Global Trainer HRM has a strength training option and seems to be accurate in calorie tracking. They run about $150 on Amazon.

Oh cool...thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that HRM
  • wellbert
    Options
    bump I want to know too.. and anyone know of any good programs online for weight training?

stronglifts is online and free.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options

From what I have read on here, the New Rules for Lifting for Women book is supposed to be very good. I haven't done any online programs or anything though. Check out bodybuilding.com