FEMALE ONLY QUESTION

Options
Haywire Periods

I had an implant called Implanon put in my arm in October last year, this made my periods go a bit funny for a while but then they settled down end of December/beginning of January. It seems since I started my diet I have a week long period and it stops on the weekend and then it starts, I am of course going to the Dr about this but just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar.

Thanks

Replies

• xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    Haywire Periods

I had an implant called Implanon put in my arm in October last year, this made my periods go a bit funny for a while but then they settled down end of December/beginning of January. It seems since I started my diet I have a week long period and it stops on the weekend and then it starts, I am of course going to the Dr about this but just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar.

Thanks
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    I have no clue about the implant hun , sorry. I take Depo provera so I dont get a period at all. But while losing weight it messes with my body and I experience break thru bleeding. Go have a chat with your Dr. it may be your body and hormones playing up from your lifestyle change / weight-loss / or exercise routine. Always better to be safe and sure :flowerforyou:
  • gmukris
    gmukris Posts: 539
    Options
    I tried 5 different types of pills and the hormones were too much for my system. I bled for 3 out of 4 weeks a month! It was horrible and it lasted nearly 5 years because you have to give each type of birth control a chance to adjust with your system. Once I went off them, I was fine. So, it may be completely hormonal and have nothing to do with the diet.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yes, just this week I posted with a similar problem, and MANY ladies responded saying they had experienced similar "out of whack" periods.

Glad to hear that you are going to your doctor.
    Take care!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have had awhat they called a few years ago,, the norplant, it is pretty much the same thing it gets implanted in your arm, and I had similar problems,so itmust be a little typical,, with the depo i had gained weight and hated it.:noway:
  • tishawillliams2
    Options
    I tried the depo shot, and I gained alot of weight. I would not recommend this.
  • cgallen916
    cgallen916 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have been on depo for about 7 years now, and I absolutely LOVE it! I know a lot of people gain weight on it, but I was fortunate enough to not have that side effect.
    BUT....I just had a physical yesterday, and my doctor told me that depo contributes to bone loss. So, if any of you have been on it for a while, like I have, you may want to talk to your doctor about it. Scary stuff especially if you have a family history of osteoporosis.
  • Caddieseamus
    Options
    Bleeding patterns on Implanon can be very irregular. Can be a few days or many days, Can be light or heavy, Can have prolonged periods of no bleeding. Any of these bleeding patterns are normal with Implanon and they pattern can change throughout the duration of use.

The company reports that women will experience
    33.6% infrequent bleeding (less than three bleeding episodes in 90 days)
    22.2% No bleeding in 90 days
    17.7% prolonged bleeding (any episode lasting longer than 14 days)
    6.7% frequent bleeding (more than 5 bleeding episodes in 90 days)

You can also have prologed frequent bleeding..which I imagine would be unbearable.

Your diet and exercise changes may be effecting the hormonal balance somewhat, but really crazy bleeding can just happen with Implanon with no cause...just a side effect.

I would call your doc, because there are a few treatments that can be done to control the side effects. You can use a short course of estrogen to stabilize the endometrium (if you have no contraindications). Or a course of antibiotics (doxycycline) has also shown to be effective in controlling bleeding.

Good luck!! Hope things work out and you get back to enjoying your Implanon..it is so easy and convenient!!