Wondering about Stevia....

Options
I'm trying to switch from using so much Splenda to using something more natural. Has anyone had any issues with Stevia? Also known as Truvia or Purevia?

Thanks,

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love Truvia with my coffee, and sometimes sprinkled over fruit or in yogurt. In my opinion, it tastes exactly like sugar! It is also granular, so it doesn't dissolve in cold drinks like iced tea, but it dissolves fine in coffee. I was forced to go back to Splenda one day over my mother in laws, and it was awful! I couldn't even drink the coffee.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia in the Raw and no issues here. I really like it!!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Also curious about this.

Is it *actually* natural?
    Is it *actually* zero calorie, or is it like on other food labels where if the serving size is <5 cals they can just say it's zero? Cause I'm sure the serving size is like a teaspoon, so for baking or whatever it might add up...

:)
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It tastes different than Splenda, so you may not care for it as much if you really like Splenda.

That being said, chemically it's waaaaay better for you.
    Splenda is bad news.
  • 4My40th
    4My40th Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia & love it. :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia in the Raw. I absolutely love it!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia. Love it.

Did you know splenda is 2 molecules from DDT....the use DDT in pesticides.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I did not like Truvia at all but Stevia in the raw I don't mind and it's like 4 calories for a packet I think, so no it's not calorie free but it's less.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I use Kroger stevia blend and love it.
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use it as well, mostly for my hot tea. There is a slight taste difference between it and sugar, and I remember it took me a few days to get accustomed to it, but like she said, when I try to use other artificial sugars now, I can't stand them! The only other one that I like is xylitol, which is from the sugars in fruits, but around here it is really hard to find so.. ya. I typically stick with the stevia off brands, since truvia can be pricey.
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes I used Truvia in Ice Tea and everything else.... and it is great!
  • t1nyvessels
    Options
    Everything I've read about Stevia has been positive, I saw Jillian Micheals recommend it on "The Biggest Loser," and I've also been using Stevia in the Raw and love it! It is sweeter than sugar, so you may end up using less of it. If anyone is concerned about it not being "natural" out of a packet, you can get a Stevia plant and dry out the leaves and use that instead. I'm pretty sure nothing is truly zero calories if you use enough of it, but no one should have a reason to use so much Stevia it adds very much caloric value to their day.
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have used it for years. In addition, my mom used to grow stevia and we would just eat the leaves like candy!
    Put it in coffee, tea, smoothies. I also stir it into plain, nonfat yogurt for a sweetener. The one thing I don't like it in is coffee, I just can't do it- but I no longer like hot or cold tea with anything except stevia as a sweetener! It is low glycemic and no calories. I suppose you could grow a plant yourself if you wanted to experiment with the leaves. Good luck!
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Splenda caused me to have, for lack of a better term..."black out sessions". I can not use it at ALL. I have been using Stevia in the Raw for probably 6-8 months with no issues at all. It's a Godsend for me.

I have heard it tastes "different" but I honestly can't tell a difference. I just know that Splenda, to me, is the Devil!
  • mmaddage
    mmaddage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I consume too much splenda, I tried stevia at a friends and couldn't do it. I will try Truvia and see if that is better. The additional chemicals in Splenda are scary, but I cannot have sugar as I am hypoglycemic.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I primarily use sweeteners in my coffee and occasionally in my smoothies .After using Truvia for the past couple years, I recently switched to Stevia and I noticed a distinct difference in the flavor. Although, I only notice the difference in taste when I use it in my coffee. I wouldn't say that Stevia tastes "bad" ...it's just noticeable.
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    PS, I know everyone is different, but the two times I attempted incorporating Splenda into my diet (this was about 3 years apart, too), I experienced really weird heart or chest muscle pain that I'd never had before nor have had since. Just FYI. I'm really scared of it.
  • Ninalicious
    Ninalicious Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about Stevia and other sugar substitutes too! I cannot stand aspartame, agghhhghg the aftertaste. I have heard that Stevia has a hint of licorice taste, is that true?
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just tried this the other day, I bought some Truvia and I love it! I used 1 pack to sweeten my hot tea and it was just enough sweet :). Definitely going to keep using it, I havent tried Stevia yet, but I will when I finish my truvia.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tried the Truvia and it had an odd taste. I prefer the granular sweetener, rather than the "powdery" ones. Stevia in the raw is my fave, because you don't need to adjust the amount you use. It's spoon to spoon. The Truvia required less of it. Kroger actually has an organic raw sweetener section in their organic department that I love. Make sure it's USDA marked! :) Side note: Baking with Truvia can be odd. Prepare to adjust amounts required. LOL