Rebounding vs jogging

Options
The past couple of weeks I've been working on the Couch to 5k running program (since I'm terrible at running). I run outside around the neighborhood, and since it's all uphill it's a fantastic workout. Lately, however, it's been so hot and humid that I can barely stand to just be outside. Two days ago I ran in the high temperatures and I started to feel weak and dizzy from the heat.

A couple of days ago I bought a mini-trampoline and have been jogging and bouncing on that. It's also a great workout. Compared to running, I get worn out quicker and I sweat a lot harder on the mini-trampoline, but I'm not breathing as hard. My heart rate is about the same for both rebounding and jogging outside. I was wondering if anyone knows if rebounding is as good (or even better) than jogging when it comes to weight loss. One thing I have noticed in the three days of using the mini-trampoline is that my legs have already become much more toned. Any opinions?

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It probably burns about the same as running... Because jump roping burns more than running but on the trampoline, you have that momentum still going from the springs. Jump roping you have to push off every time without that momentum. In running you have a little momentum too...

Since you are working a more concentrated group of muscles jumping, it seems it would build more leg muscle and you'd drop inches from being toned but not pounds because of the whole muscle vs fat weight

just my thoughts, I have no idea if it's accurate information.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know any statistics, but I used to have one of those little trampolines. I never felt it gave me as good a workout as running outside. But it was fun and a good workout. It's great for when the weather outside isn't great and IMO much more fun than a treadmill.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Rebounders are beneficial because they use additional stabiliser muscles and your limbs can go through a larger range of motion, both of which contribute to the toning effect. For any cardio exercise, at the same heart-rate you will burn approximately the same calories in the same time period.

However, be warned that the rebounder will not contribute to making you any better at running, other than increasing your aerobic fitness, as it's a completely different action and there is no element of pushing yourself forwards.

I sold mine as I got bored, the same reason I can't run for very long on the gym treadmill :laugh:
  • jenniferether
    Options
    Trampolining is fantastic, I prefer it to jogging any day. It has a lot less of an impact on your joints, as well as using more muscles and helping to improve your balance. I hope this helps. :)
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far. :) I'll definitely continue running once the weather becomes a bit more sane (since I do want to run a 5k someday), but rebounding seems to be a decent replacement exercise for now. Plus it's pretty fun.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Muscular benefits are apparent in your comment, and the lower impact is especially good for your joints, Running is better for increasing your aerobic capacity, and probably should still be a part of your plan, check your hydration levels, as it sounds like your a bit dehydrated when you're running in the heat (push 2 times your daily requirements before a 30 min run in temps over 85F ). I'm a former Army Master Fitness Trainer, and that is the single biggest issue for military fitness and hot weather operations.
  • FleekTastic
    FleekTastic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Let me go back to the running for a moment. especialliy for the beginner dont hesitate to take a break and "ease" yourself into running in a hot climate. its a little different. Its also important you take extra precautions to hydrate. I went for my run last night in the extreme heat, and lost almost 4 pounds in 3.5 miles which was ALL water. It took 32 oz of gatorade and 64oxz+ water before I peed (indicator its time to stop hydrating). it was soooooo darn hot.

Even if you are jumping, running, whatever you decide to do. Just becareful and be safe. Weak and Dizzy is a good sign youre overheated or unerhydrated...or both!

Keep with c25k. I did it myself and loveeeed it!
    The past couple of weeks I've been working on the Couch to 5k running program (since I'm terrible at running). I run outside around the neighborhood, and since it's all uphill it's a fantastic workout. Lately, however, it's been so hot and humid that I can barely stand to just be outside. Two days ago I ran in the high temperatures and I started to feel weak and dizzy from the heat.

A couple of days ago I bought a mini-trampoline and have been jogging and bouncing on that. It's also a great workout. Compared to running, I get worn out quicker and I sweat a lot harder on the mini-trampoline, but I'm not breathing as hard. My heart rate is about the same for both rebounding and jogging outside. I was wondering if anyone knows if rebounding is as good (or even better) than jogging when it comes to weight loss. One thing I have noticed in the three days of using the mini-trampoline is that my legs have already become much more toned. Any opinions?
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hydration is definitely an issue. I carry a water bottle on me when I run, but last time I jogged I downed the whole thing in my first ten minutes. I'm about to go running now (it's a little cooler outside today and there's cloud coverage), so I'll go drink a huge glass of water before I go. Thanks for the advice. :D
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hydration is definitely an issue. I carry a water bottle on me when I run, but last time I jogged I downed the whole thing in my first ten minutes. I'm about to go running now (it's a little cooler outside today and there's cloud coverage), so I'll go drink a huge glass of water before I go. Thanks for the advice. :D

Hydration is an all day commitment. You will also need to replace salts, use electrolyte tablets or sports drinks.