Anyone have Mirena?

Options
I'm curious has anyone been able to lose weight or have trouble losing weight while having a mirena IUD?

Replies

• beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    lost 26 lbs.....been at it since January....20 more to go.
  • Dianielle
    Dianielle Posts: 50
    Options
    I gained alot of weight when I had Mirena, but I know the body acts differnent with everyone!!!
  • maxybaby8
    maxybaby8 Posts: 17
    Options
    only lost 13lbs since feb which is not a lot but have not put any on
  • cjdcmom
    cjdcmom Posts: 28
    Options
    only lost 13lbs since feb which is not a lot but have not put any on

Were you losing weight before the Mirena?
  • gofaulk28
    gofaulk28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for 4 years (love it!) It has not had any effect on my weight loss, and I did not gain any weight from it.
  • australia25027
    Options
    I have it ad don't honestly think it has made any difference to my weight.:smile: Do have other horrid symptoms but mostly good.
  • mommiesmission
    Options
    when i got mine it made me extremely hungry all the time, I gained 50 lbs in a little over a year...ive lost 15 lbs in i think 2 weeks. but i tried dieting about 6 months after i got on it and the harder i tried to more i gained...good luck!
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I had it before getting pregnant last year. I lost 50 lbs while I had it in.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to lose weight when I had it but I gained A LOT in those 3 years.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on switching to the Mirena specifically because my weight loss has been non existant on another form of contraception (Depo). My Doctor thinks the mirena is such a low dose that I might finally start losing after switching.
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've had it since about Jan/Feb and I haven't had any issues. At first, I thought it was my Mirena that stalled my weight loss, but I realized now that it was just me being stalled in my routine (and I wasn't getting much sleep having a new baby around). Now that I am eating better (Weigh my food now), sleeping more, and took up running, the weight seems to be falling off now
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I started having issues with weight the month after I got mine and it's only gotten worse. It's my only complaint about it, but I seriously cannot lose weight now, no matter what I do.

The website says this is a side effect in fewer than 5% of Mirena users, but it is a side effect of it.
  • lilsaph
    lilsaph Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm curious has anyone been able to lose weight or have trouble losing weight while having a mirena IUD?

I've actually found it easier to lose weight since having mine - but I was previoulsy on the POP (mini) pill and from topics on here it seems that lots of others found it harder to lose weight when on the pill also (though I'm sure it's not the same for everyone) I put on weight when taking the pill for sure and found it much harder to 'shift'!!
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I gained weight after going on Mirena, but it was because I ate poorly and didn't exercise. I'm still on it and have had no trouble losing 27 pounds!
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I as afraid to get it and got pregnant again (4 yo, 20 months, 3 months). I'm done now. Good luck with that
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yep. I have it, but no problem losing weight. I have had it for almost 5 years though. Time to get it replaced at my next appointment.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I had it put in about a year and a half ago and I gained weight immediately - like 8 pounds - I couldn't even button the pants I had worn into my appointment to have it placed, and I went from having a totally flat tummy to looking like I was 5 months pregnant.

I had so many horrendous side effects and was so sick on it (vomiting, fever, huge painful ovarian cysts) that I begged my doctor to remove it. She tried to tell me I was crazy and that all my symptoms were in my head, but I was so disturbed by having this foreign thing in my body I refused to let her talk me out of removing it. I felt better immediately and have not had any cysts since, and I lost the weight I gained and my tummy went back to being flat.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second one and it hasn't effected my weight at all. Since 2010 I'm down over 25 pounds.
  • ginnyntonic
    ginnyntonic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have had mind for five years and didn't see any difference in my weight because of it. I was able to lose a lot of weight right after I got it and although I have gained some of it back I am sure it was because of laziness on my part. But I've never been especially sensitive to hormonal birth control other than the depo shot. I love my Mirena actually, I'm always recommending it to my friends :-)
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have it. I gained weight in the months after getting it, but I really can't blame it on Mirena, since I was eating way too much and not exercising. Since joining MFP I have been losing at just about exactly the rate I had planned.