Sick and TIRED of obsessing

Options
I have been recycling the past 3-4 pounds over and over for 2 months now. My weigh-ins are starting to OWN me! I started Weight Watchers back in February, lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks...and then things came to a screeching halt.
I have read threads about eating more/eating less and honestly I'm at my wits end.
I am very active (teach Zumba) twice a week and wear a Fitbit to monitor steps and overall activity.
When I eat my exercise calories, I don't lose. When I don't eat my exercise calories, I don't lose. UGH!!!
I know that strength training might be the key here, I start with a trainer on Monday and am praying that something will start to happen.
Any other ladies in my same situation, please feel free to chime in or add me as a friend :)

Height: 5'5"
SW (Feb.) 182
CW: 173
Body Fat: 32.3%
Bust: 37
Waist: 31
Hips: 41

Can't believe I'm putting all that out there! Please help :)
P.S. I take Armour thyroid for mild hypothyroidism. As of last Friday my levels are stabilized at this current dosage.

Replies

• TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you currently eating?

For weight loss, I think I set-up to lose 0.5lb a week and (I'm fairly sedentary) and my activity level as 'Lightly Active' followed the cals MFP gave me. I wouldn't eat many of my exercise cals midweek and then save them for the 2 high cal days at the weekend (basically just living to my weekly calorie goal rather than daily). I consistently lost. There were of course times I wouldn't but times I'd lose more. I found I couldn't get stressed through this process so was quite laid back about exercise and weighing in etc. It took me about 6-7 months to lose 2 stone. It's taken me over 9 months to get the hang of maintenance! ; )
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too am sick and tired of obsessing. I'm stuck where I am, like you, losing the same weight over and over. With me, when I decide to lose weight, I start obsessing about food! When can I eat next? What can I eat? etc. Drives me crazy, because that's all I can think about. I have lots of gadgets too, love them. I guess I am looking for the magic one that does it all for me. Today I am seeing a Personal Trainer and nutritionist to see if we can't jump start this again.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? What does your Fitbit say you burn on average? You said you're "very active". Is that what you told MFP when it set your goal?
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    I have MFP set to lightly active with a goal loss of a pound a week. Daily I get 1510 calories before exercise. My FitBit estimates my calorie burn anywhere from 2000 and up...depending on my activity level?

Right now, my graph on Fitbit is showing a deficit of 3482 calories for the week based on my MFP food logging and my earned calories :(
  • mcarter99
    Options
    The Fitbit deficits tend to be good predictors of my weight loss but only over the long term and I don't log a lot of activities (like Zumba, etc.). Most of my activity is steps-related, so there's no HRM/db misestimations going into it (besides what's programmed into the Fitbit).

So it's predicting a one lb. loss for the week you're not seeing? A lb. can get 'lost' in scale noise easily. What about for the month, or have you not had it that long?
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    The Fitbit deficits tend to be good predictors of my weight loss but only over the long term and I don't log a lot of activities (like Zumba, etc.). Most of my activity is steps-related, so there's no HRM/db misestimations going into it (besides what's programmed into the Fitbit).

So it's predicting a one lb. loss for the week you're not seeing? A lb. can get 'lost' in scale noise easily. What about for the month, or have you not had it that long?

I've had it for a month and technically should have lost around 4 pounds! I do not log extra exercise like Zumba...figuring it might be on the low end as far as giving me exercise calories, but that gives me a buffer of sorts if I forget to log ketchup or dressing every now and then.
    It HAS motivated me to get up during the day to get steps in and I always get my stairs badge...kinda addicted :)
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    up your calories by 150 or 200 calories per day for a week or two and see what happens. there are many people that got out of a plateau by doing this. if you are very active, but only put lightly active in mfp, you may not be fueling your body enough. you can also check out eat more to weigh less group and try that. strength training will also help.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    I have a feeling if you try to relax and not obsess and not weigh often, your stall will break on its own. I've stalled for months before, when adding new activities. It all came out 'in the wash' eventually. I'd eventually drop to a new level on the scale and stay there.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    I think I might run over my scale about 12 times and ONLY measure this month! It is wicked crazy how seeing that number on the scale can wreck your day...I know I shouldn't let it, but it makes me cranky :)

Thank you all for your input and advice!
  • mcarter99
    Options
    It does wreck your day! I hate the scale. Except on the days I love it. It's so hard to not see it as the report card on your inputs. If you know you're doing it right, congratulate yourself for your hard work and let that knowledge and your overall fitness be your reward! The scale lies.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am sure you are doing this, but just in case... Be sure to drink all 8 glasses of water every day. It might help , especially in the heat of this summer.

Hang in there! That weight has GOT to fall off of you eventually.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    up your calories by 150 or 200 calories per day for a week or two and see what happens. there are many people that got out of a plateau by doing this. if you are very active, but only put lightly active in mfp, you may not be fueling your body enough. you can also check out eat more to weigh less group and try that. strength training will also help.

^^^ This^^^^ When I did WW I found that if I ate my "extra Points" they give for the week- a little each day- I lost more than if I didn't eat them. Try for a week or two and see what happens. I would also start logging the extra stuff, like Zumba- with the activity, you may need more calories than what you are taking in!
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    I am sure you are doing this, but just in case... Be sure to drink all 8 glasses of water every day. It might help , especially in the heat of this summer.

Hang in there! That weight has GOT to fall off of you eventually.

Probably one of my biggest downfalls! Some days I'm great at it...other days, things get crazy at work and I can't be running to tinkle every 5 minutes. Makes it harder :(
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    Have any of you tried the zig-zagging?