McDonalds

Options
Instead of ordering a hamburger and fries today, I was good and ordered the grilled chicken southwest salad, and used italian vinagrette on it. It was pretty good!!! And I was full after half!!

Replies

• BetterVersion
    Options
    That's a great choice, and making better choices at such places is so hard to do. Perhaps I'll give one of their salads a try. I admit, I still often eat the cheeseburgers and fries, but I make myself order a happy meal, which fits into my daily calorie limit. It's surprising how much a single cheeseburger and small fry fill me up, considering I used to order large fries and a quarter pounder.
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    This is the breakdown of the salad WITHOUT dressing! the fat free italian has 50 calories and 11 carbs

Serving Size: 1 salad
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 320Calories from Fat 90
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 9g
    Saturated Fat 3g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 70mg
    Sodium 960mg
    Potassium 0mg
    Total Carbohydrate 30g
    Dietary Fiber 6g
    Sugars 11g
    Protein 30g

the hamburger is 270 calories, 9g fat 35g carbs 13g protein-the small fry has 210 calories 10g fat 26 carbs
  • TracyJean2012
    TracyJean2012 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    you can always do what I have done, I went to each fast food website and printed off the nutrition facts and have them in a file at my desk so when I get a craving or am planning on having lunch with a friend then I can look at the menu and decide the smart way to go and then when you get there you already know what you are going to have and its already logged for you. It has really helped me out!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is the breakdown of the salad WITHOUT dressing! the fat free italian has 50 calories and 11 carbs

Serving Size: 1 salad
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 320Calories from Fat 90
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 9g
    Saturated Fat 3g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 70mg
    Sodium 960mg
    Potassium 0mg
    Total Carbohydrate 30g
    Dietary Fiber 6g
    Sugars 11g
    Protein 30g

the hamburger is 270 calories, 9g fat 35g carbs 13g protein-the small fry has 210 calories 10g fat 26 carbs

W/o looking it up I thought that's how those two stacked up. If I'm hitting a burger joint, I'm having a burger.
  • brittanyj
    Options
    I always keep the "eat this not that" restaurant book at my desk so whenever I am going to eat out I can consider several different options that are on the healthier side :-)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I order what I want. I don't go to McD's often, but when I do, it's either a 6 piece nugget meal or a junior chicken and small fries.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with Iplayoutside...if your gonna have that many calories on a salad Id go for the hamburger too. :laugh:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what made the salad so high in calories and fat... 12 grams of fat.

9gms from the salad and 3gms from the chicken.
    4gms of fat come from the shredded cheese
    4gms of fat come from the Cilantro Lime glaze and Chili Lime Tortilla Strips.

McDonalds "healthy meal" Phoooey

Ingredients.
    Cilantro Lime Glaze
    Water, corn syrup solids, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, distilled vinegar, olive oil, soybean oil, freeze-dried orange juice concentrate, cilantro, salt, freeze-dried lime juice concentrate, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), garlic powder, propylene glycol alginate, spice, onion powder, citric acid.

Chili Lime Tortilla Strips
    Corn, vegetable oil (corn oil, soybean oil and/or sunflower oil), salt, maltodextrin, sugar, dried tomato, dextrose, spices, onion powder, green bell pepper powder, citric acid, autolyzed yeast extract, malic acid, paprika extract (color), disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, natural flavor (vegetable source), lemon extract, spice extractive
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    It's the sodium content that kills me! OMG - 960 mgs sodium in a SALAD??? Seriously?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I give you credit for choosing the salad. You got 2 full servings of veggies, 30 g of protien and no white carbs for your booty.

There is a big difference in a burger vs salad at a fast food rest.

:drinker: Here's to better choices!!
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    not many fast food chains in malaysia offer healthier choices ... NO salads in McDonalds :grumble:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!