Anyone have Mirena?

Options
2»

Replies

• NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    On my fourth one (over 17 years) - gained a bit of weight at first but no significant difference since.

Have been losing at a rate that I would expect now - so no issues here.
  • arvanhorn
    arvanhorn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds while on Mirena.
  • karmy09
    karmy09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After 5 years I realized Mirena wasn't for me! I constantly tried to lose weight but only 3-5lbs would go. After getting it removed and replacing it with Paragard IUD (does not contain any hormones)...I was able to lose 25-30 lbs with changing my diet and exercising.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had it for a year, it made weight loss harder for me, started getting serious back pain & developed a cyst because of it.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a year now. I love it!! It never caused any issues with my weight.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for almost 5 years (am about to get a new one next month, sorry TMI)... but I am not sure if I gained alot with it or if I gained alot for another reason.. but in the past 2 years I have lost 41lbs with it still in place.. so IDK... I just know it's soooo much more convienient than any other form of BC... :)
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Do your homework before you get Mirena. It is NOT for everyone. I trusted what my doctor said, and Mirena pretty much ruined my life for 5+ years. It is NOT "localized hormones" -- no such thing. After I got the Mirena I was diagnosed as bipolar (didn't respond to medications, and surprise, now that it's out, I no longer feel "bipolar". I gained almost 45lbs in 3 months after getting it in, could NOT lose it, my hormones went out of whack and are still not normal, I had brain fog and couldn't remember words, NO sex drive, became estrogen dominant, no energy, lost my job because I overslept so often and was so unmotivated/depressed, the list goes on and on. I had recurring ovarian cysts that had to be surgically removed. It was terrible. It might work well for some women, and that's great. It did not work for me. It took me way too long to connect all my symptoms to the Mirena, but once I started reading other women's experiences online, it finally clicked.

Just editing to note that during this time, I was leading a fitness boot camp program every day, working as a personal trainer, lifting and following a clean eating diet, etc. (I only say this because I noticed others were saying "yeah I gained but it was my own fault" etc. My body fat never budged below 33% despite HARD CORE lifting, interval training, running and following the diet we gave our boot campers to the letter -- had to set an example) My campers melted away around me and I stayed fat. The Mirena was horrible for me.

Now that the Mirena is out I did lose 10lbs right off the bat, and it has been a year and I am starting to feel normal again. My moods improved within the first few months. Still don't have the energy level I'd like but it's better than it was before. I'm still fighting to lose the weight, and I totally regret getting the damn thing. I still have pain from where one of the cysts I had ruptured and scarred my ovary.

Not worth it. I'm back on Lo Loestrin FE (after a year without any BC) and the only reason I'm on it is to control endometriosis. I'd rather suffer with the endo than get a Mirena ever again.
  • cnewlin86
    cnewlin86 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have had the mirena for 3 1/2 years and i have gained 48lbs. I can't blame it all on the mirena. I haven't ate the healthiest nor have I exercised like I should. When I have put my mind to exercising and eating right I have lost 20lbs. However, I never struggled with weight until I had my son and got the mirena. I always ate what I wanted to without worrying but now I can't do that. So my body changed after childbirth. I'm sure the mirena has contirbuted some but it hasn't been the entire blame for my weight gain. If I can't lose all my weight by working out and eating right, than I might have a different opinion but for right now I have to take quite a bit of my weight blame and put it on myself.
  • Mischelina
    Mischelina Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    have lost 32 lbs while on Mirena, with and without exercise. No periods and none of the mood swings that I had when I was on the pill. no problems here.
  • bhajrizi11
    bhajrizi11 Posts: 101
    Options
    I had mine about 4 years. Cant really say if it made me gain. After having my daughter I gained about 15 but I know it was because of all the JUNK i was eating. I've lost a little over 30 since I started MFP around January. So I cant really blame the Mirena, just bad habits and the weights dropping now that I'm finally doing something about it

It shouldnt effect weight loss, at least not for me