MPF sets carbs too high!

Options
Hey everyone,

Has anyone chosen to set their own goals for daily % of protein, fat and carbs??? I find MFP sets my carbs way too high and I'm always over my protein. What % should my goals be at ideally for my stats?!

Current Weight: 170
Height: 5'9''
Work out 5 times a week

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.

Why do you think MFP sets carbs too high? Do you prefer to low carb? I would likely set fat no more than 30%, figure out what you want your carbs to be, and then set your protein to the balance.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm 45% carbs, 30% fat and 25% protein.
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I also do 40 carb 30 protein 30 fat but that is just what I like. I also thought they suggested too much carbs as it set it at 55 for me and only 15 for protein.. Just work with it and find the percentages that work for you.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do 20% carbs, 30% protein, and 50% fats...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Has anyone chosen to set their own goals for daily % of protein, fat and carbs
    Indeed, 25P,65F, 10C
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    it took me a while to realize that... so this week i changed my goals to 40 carbs, 30 protein and 30 fats. And I feel much better!! hahah i felt so guilty when i went over the protein...
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Just change your goals, or ignore that altogether. I pay more attention to fats and fiber, the other stuff seems to take care of itself.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the current medical recommendations, which seems a logical decision for a web site catering to the entire world.

I track my macros, and I'm usually over on fat and protein and under on carbs, but as long as I'm eating a healthy balanced diet full of variety, I don't really care what the macros are.
  • lizash729
    lizash729 Posts: 3
    Options
    i have mine set high for protein.. your body has to work harder to digest protein.. in turn burns more by breaking them down.. protein also is building block for muscle.. even lean muscle... muscle burns more calories than fat,.. girls worry about gaining muscle.. but if u look at pictures or google it.. muscle takes up less room than fat.. which will make you smaller over all. and toned! you should really try to get 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. consuming a high carb diet is almost counter productive in my opinion and what ive researched and learned.. carbs turn right into sugar once consumed.. your body then pours out insulin to break down and your bloodsugar crashes.. i know this isnt exactly easy to understand.. but you can google about what carbs do.. as far as the breaking down and what not.. when i am on track good with my eatting.. which is difficult .. i try to consume complex carbs that dont spike your insulin/bloodsugar as fast.. Brown rice,oats,sweet potatoes..if i am doing well i try to eliminate even those.. just my throw in here.. its better to consume a good source of protein/calories than a low calorie-high carb.. quality verses quantity should be something to keep in mind! protein keeps you fuller longer than carbs for sure! Hope it helps some1.. like i said just things ive learned through researching and trial and error.:smile:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I lost 13 pounds with my stats set to what MPF set it too, so it is doable. I lost 4 pounds this week setting it to 40carbs/35fat/25 protein. Went over protein every day but one...
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    going over on protein is not a bad thing, unless you have a medical reason to have a lower protein level.

Its actually better to go over on protein then MFP ranges for many people, as it is set on the low end.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    30C, 35F, 35P. I view carbs as a maximum to avoid going over, and protein as a minimum to try to get.
  • smittytech
    smittytech Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been using a low carb diet. So I have my goals set to 65% Fat/30% Protein/5% Carbs.

I also use the following Script to add extra features to my food diary:
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645
  • nancymt83
    nancymt83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Where do you go to change your goals?

353332.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My home, goals, change goals, custom
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i have mine set high for protein.. your body has to work harder to digest protein.. in turn burns more by breaking them down.. protein also is building block for muscle.. even lean muscle... muscle burns more calories than fat,.. girls worry about gaining muscle.. but if u look at pictures or google it.. muscle takes up less room than fat.. which will make you smaller over all. and toned! you should really try to get 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. .. when i am on track good with my eatting.. which is difficult .. i try to consume complex carbs that dont spike your insulin/bloodsugar as fast.. Brown rice,oats,...protein keeps you fuller longer than carbs for sure! Hope it helps some1.. like i said just things ive learned through researching and trial and error.:smile:

I edited the quote to just include what I agree with, but everyone has different preferances and has done different research.

I have mine set to 45C 35P 20F.
    35%P seems to set me at about 1g of protein per pound of weight, just maybe about 5g under. I weight lift 5-6 days out of the week, along with cardio. I was going over my fat and carbs (not by much) and my calories (by about 90) so I cut one of my breakfast items in half and I think that will do the trick.

If you arent weight lifting (which you "should" be :tongue: ) then 3/4g protein per pound is sufficent, but if you are lifting ideally you want to get 1-1.5g per pound. Hope this helps!
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    45 % protein 25 carb 30 fat . my weight is dropping without losing any muscle . i also upped my cal intake as was always hungry .
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    30C/45F/25P
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    30% carbs, 35% fat and protein.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    High protein, low carb are generally whatwork for me to keep my calories down, so my ratios are 40% protein, 25% carbs, and 25% fat.