Does losing by a certain date motivate stress you out?

Options
***Does losing by a certain date motivate you or stress you out?*** lol Sorry for the typo!! :blushing:
Joined my first challenge group :) lose 10lbs by July 20th... this could either be motivating in a good way, or stressful. I've never tried to lose weight by a certain date. I was tired of being in a plateau, losing about three pounds then gaining back two.
So I have a question for you lovely peoples :smile: Does losing by a certain date or end of month stress you out too much to be usefull, or does it motivate you? I was always told to lose weight by my pace, then again others tell me to challenge myself.
What's your imput? Are challenges a good idea, or not for you?

Replies

• emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a challenge on here, but in "real" life I challenge myself to work toward a goal - whether it be to get to a certain calorie intake or to burn a certain number of calories during a workout. I want to keep feeling those small victories so even if the scale doesn't seem to move at times then I know I'm doing my best. In the past (years ago), I guess I just didn't care enough and didn't have the motivation, I thought nothing was happening so I gave up. Challenging myself is a good motivation.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No, for me it motivates me!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It always stressed me out so I didn't set target dates. Instead, I set target rewards: ...when I get to 250 I'll buy a charm bracelet (then charms or pedicures or whatever for a lot of other goals). That was the motivator without the stress of a timeline.

To me (and this is a mentality thing I know) the problem with dates was even if I was doing great, if I didn't make the weight by the date I felt I had failed. You can control what you eat and how you exercise, but you can't control the scale and loss is rarely linear.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Motivate. It gives me a deadline so I keep on track every week.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think have deadline dates is a great way to challenge and motivate yourself. Just like taking test...don't wait until the last minute and cram! Giving yourself a due date gives you time to set check points along the way. If you don't meet this week's goal, then you know how much work you need to put in next week!

HTH

E
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Stress me out and cause me to try to exceed my goal, which invariably derails my progress in the longer term. I've done weight loss competitions and challenges, and by the time I've met the artificially-imposed goal my metabolism is so messed up I can't keep the weight off.

To each his or her own, but I'm done. I'm losing weight living a lifestyle I feel I can maintain forever. No deadline, no rush, and I refuse to be hungry or uncomfortable except for that sweet, sweet ache that means I pushed myself right to my limit exercising.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Stress me out and cause me to try to exceed my goal, which invariably derails my progress in the longer term. I've done weight loss competitions and challenges, and by the time I've met the artificially-imposed goal my metabolism is so messed up I can't keep the weight off.

To each his or her own, but I'm done. I'm losing weight living a lifestyle I feel I can maintain forever. No deadline, no rush, and I refuse to be hungry or uncomfortable except for that sweet, sweet ache that means I pushed myself right to my limit exercising.

THIS!! I see this as a life time thing so no deadline here. I have a goal weight, but once i get there I know I have to keep working out and eating right regardless. I am not stressing over how long its going to take to get me there because I know I will reach it!
  • Jenn264
    Jenn264 Posts: 43
    Options
    I love setting a date for me to lose weight by! I find it a way to motivate me.. I do monthly weigh-ins with my trainer and when I workout and eat I always think is what I'm doing going to be helping me reach my goal. Not stress just motivation and determination!
  • daniellejg
    daniellejg Posts: 97
    Options
    I've recently learned that it stresses me out. I was in my friend's wedding recently and when I bought my dress I was smaller...and when I finally got it, I had gained a bit of weight back so it was a little too snug. I told myself, Oh, I've got a month until the wedding, I'm sure it'll fit better by then. I think because of that I stressed way too much, I started feeling anxious about it. In the end I did not lose the weight because I put too much pressure on myself.
  • bandenna
    bandenna Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks peoples! I've seen really good reasons and suggestions for both for and opposed to setting goal dates. I think I should just try it out for myself. Perhaps it will work for me, perhaps it won't. I'll give it a try and see :smile: Thanks for the info