What happens if I eat under 1200 a day?

Options
lalyon4
lalyon4 Posts: 9 Member
I know that obviously that is "too low" and that when the body starves it actually ends up gaining fat etc etc
however, i eat when im hungry. I have at least three meals a day with a (mostly healthy) snack or two, and even before counting calories i burned with exercise im under 1200. Im not starving myself its just how i work aparently! The only times ive gone over 1200 is when i eat poorly.
So do I over-eat just to not send myself into "starvation mode" or do i eat comfortable at 800-1000 calories a day?

Replies

• Olivia486
    Olivia486 Posts: 10
    Options
    I know that obviously that is "too low" and that when the body starves it actually ends up gaining fat etc etc
    however, i eat when im hungry. I have at least three meals a day with a (mostly healthy) snack or two, and even before counting calories i burned with exercise im under 1200. Im not starving myself its just how i work aparently! The only times ive gone over 1200 is when i eat poorly.
    So do I over-eat just to not send myself into "starvation mode" or do i eat comfortable at 800-1000 calories a day?

I have this same problem, actually. I try to get to 1200, but most days I just can't. And then after exercise, I usually end up way under. I've been curious about this, too. I've seen changes on the scale (down 15 lbs), but not a big change in the way my clothes fit.
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Try eating more healthy but calorie dense food like

Nuts
    Raisins
    Peanut butter
    Greek yogurt (depends on brand)
    Natural muesli
    Wholegrain pasta and noodle

Etc
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    kittens and bunnies die.
    when the body starves it actually ends up gaining fat
    that would be complete nonsense, I'm afraid. Read it and think about it. Really ? No. Sorry.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Lol who told you that you'd gain fat by starving yourself? I think the 3rd world needs to hear about this :laugh: You'll lose loooooads of WEIGHT. I use the word weight very broadly because you'll be chewing through more muscle than you can shake a pointy stick at. The reason people get confused about weight gain after starving yourself is because you drop your metabolic rate, two fold really, your body is very clever at coping with decreased calories so will try to use less plus loss of LBM is going to screw things over too. Muscle is a hungry and wasteful thing, a dieters friend. Then when they have a blowout or come off the diet they find that they put on the lbs they lost and sometimes more.

People that say they can't get 1200 calories into a day... try fats
  • lalyon4
    lalyon4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay obviously eating nothing is not going result in weight gain. But if you only eat once or twice a day your body is going to hold onto those calories or fats much more than if you eat regularly and don't let yourself starve.If our body notices were not feeding it, as said, the metabolism slows down. So really, the condescending remarks are uncalled for, I asked a simple question and those of you who managed to focus on the completely irrelevant part didn't help at all. So awesome.
    To those who actually stayed on point- thank you! I'll definitely look into those foods.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating too little does not cause your body to gain fat. How could it? But in glancing at your diary it looks as if you are not eating enough fat or protein (if the past few days are typical). Fat has more than twice the calories of carbs and protein. If you add a little more healthy fat to your diet you'll find that you can easily meet your calories goal without eating much more.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You will get pregnant and die.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    - Very short term: You lose weight faster.
    - Short term: You'll probably find you feel more hungry and tired. Your exercise quality may suffer.
    - Medium term: Your reduced energy levels will cause your body to burn fewer calories at rest, and you'll be less likely to exercise as vigorously.
    - Long term: Weight loss tends to become harder, plateaus start in earnest, and you either go through a brief weight gain getting your energy levels back up or give up on weight loss.

I've ridden this treadmill. It's no fun.

But if you are feeling energetic, not having any problems with workouts, losing weight at a reasonable pace (a pound or two a week on average), etc - you're probably good. Make sure you get plenty of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins in reasonable balances, make sure you are getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and you'll be far less likely to have any issues.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    So really, the condescending remarks are uncalled for, I asked a simple question and those of you who managed to focus on the completely irrelevant part didn't help at all. So awesome.

This happens here; don't take it personally. She's relatively new here and only 20 years old, people. Cut her some slack.

Anyway, I agree with what someone else recommended. Try eating healthy foods higher in calories. You don't want to over eat, but you don't want to eat too little, either. If MFP is recommending 1200 calories for you, then try your best to do that. That's how this site will work for you. Good luck to you!
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So really, the condescending remarks are uncalled for, I asked a simple question and those of you who managed to focus on the completely irrelevant part didn't help at all. So awesome.

This happens here; don't take it personally. She's relatively new here and only 20 years old, people. Cut her some slack.

^^This. Thank you.
    Try eating more healthy but calorie dense food like

Nuts
    Raisins
    Peanut butter
    Greek yogurt (depends on brand)
    Natural muesli
    Wholegrain pasta and noodle

Etc

Agreed! But get the natural peanut butter with no added salt, oils, etc. It should have oil on top and you should have to refrigerate it. If you don't like peanut butter, try almond, walnut, cashew, or macadamia nut butters. Same guidelines go for them.
    Also try beans. High in protein and in fiber as well as calories (kind of of, depending on the bean). If you get canned make sure to get low sodium or rinse them in a strainer/collander very well before heating as to wash off some of that salt. Doesn't change the taste IMO. Salmon is another good one and it has the oh-so-good-for-you good fats. Avocados as well. Try googling calorie dense foods and eating them thorughout the day, or eating a few together at meal time. Make sure they're still healthy and as "clean" as possible! Good luck!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Okay obviously eating nothing is not going result in weight gain. But if you only eat once or twice a day your body is going to hold onto those calories or fats much more than if you eat regularly and don't let yourself starve.If our body notices were not feeding it, as said, the metabolism slows down. So really, the condescending remarks are uncalled for, I asked a simple question and those of you who managed to focus on the completely irrelevant part didn't help at all. So awesome.
    To those who actually stayed on point- thank you! I'll definitely look into those foods.

No, it will not hold onto anything, it will use it up. The metabolism does not stop, ever, if it does you die or are dead.

How can the body hold onto anything if you are not eating enough to keep it going, it will get that energy from somewhere and storing fat is not going to do any job that is any good or useful.

It does not store fat because you may eat too low calories, it will only store fat if there are excess calories taken in that do not get used up. The above posters were not being condescending, they were speaking the truth.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OP I just looked at your food diary, you are short on protein, it is important that you eat more protein especially if you workout.

Your diary actually looks a little sparce, do you log everything? :flowerforyou:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But if you only eat once or twice a day your body is going to hold onto those calories or fats much more than if you eat regularly and don't let yourself starve.
    Just give up on this, it has been pointed out that you're in a hole so stop digging.

If you want to eat 1000 odd and are on the ball enough to get enough protein, fats and minerals / vitamins within that amount then go for it. I could link you to hundreds of studies of people on 800 calorie or less diets all losing fat and weight.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You shrivel up until you finally implode. It's sad, really. :sad:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Too many schools of thought to count. My experience has been that if I don't net at least 1325 a day, I plateau. But, everyone is different and it takes time to find out.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat a spoonful of peanut butter to get that extra little bit in.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    If I ate myself would I become twice as big or disappear completely?
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I looked through your diary. You need to eat more, my friend!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't see nearly enough vegetables.