Diabetes bomb shell....

SturgeonGal
SturgeonGal Posts: 88
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Today my husband and I got calls back from our Dr. Office about of blood test we had done on Friday .. other than a Strong vitamin D deffinency I am fine.. ok so I take a supplement I can deal with that..
I was talking to my husband before he went to work about what the doc told me and he says that the nurse told him "he has become Diabetic.. and they would discuss it in more detail when he has his physical" .. WHAT :huh: :noway: ... I am totally stressing about this ... big time.. we are both trying to lose weight .. me a lot more seriously than he is .. but in his own little ways he is trying.. I have so far gotten him to start drinking more water and less sodas, he is eating healthier foods mostly because that is what I cook and have around the house, He is not much of a veggie person (got burnt out as a kid growing up on a farm) but he says if i cut it up small and mix it with something he wil leat it if he can't really taste it or notice it .. LOL .. I have gotten him to eat a few thngs that way .. . and as a result he has dropped a few pounds... He is 6'1 and currently at 290# (give or take) He does want to get down to the 250# range ..

I just turned 40 and he is 52.. it took me over 36 years t ofind him and I am soo scared of fate taking him from me now that I have finally found a really good man ..

Has any one else dealt with this kind of thing and is there any advice that you can give that may help ? if he loses the weight will the diabetes go away? ... Guys please Chime in or ladies who have gone thru a simular thing with a head strong man..:noway: :huh: :frown: ..

Replies

• I'm 33 and I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago. My doctor told me it wasn't that bad and that I could manage it with losing wieght and a diet change. I was 310 lbs (6'4). Anyway's I got myself on a diet and began excersing and proceded to lose about 75 lbs. Right now I weigh 235 lbs and show no signs of diabetes and my blood sugar is normal.

I'd say get your hubby on a diet and excersice plan, make the lbs go away and he'll be fine.:smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I would make that physical appointment NOW and go with him. Ask the doctor all the hard questions.
    What does diabetes do to the body
    What are the long term effects
    Will he need medicine.
    and most important

How does diet and exercise play into the disease.

If the doctor tells him in front of you that he needs to get serious about eating well and exercising more, maybe together you can save his life!!

I pray all goes well, and he sees the light. He def needs to be serious about diet now, not just making a few changes here and there. This is a serious disease that CAN be controlled if it is caught early on.

Good luck and God Bless:flowerforyou:
  • I'm 33 and I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago. My doctor told me it wasn't that bad and that I could manage it with losing wieght and a diet change. I was 310 lbs (6'4). Anyway's I got myself on a diet and began excersing and proceded to lose about 75 lbs. Right now I weigh 235 lbs and show no signs of diabetes and my blood sugar is normal.

I'd say get your hubby on a diet and excersice plan, make the lbs go away and he'll be fine.:smile:
    Thanks .. from your mouth to gods ear I am hoping and praying that will be all it takes.. So far I can drag him kicking and screaming to the gym with me on his day off once a week ( he works retail so he is very very active at work) and the last couple of times he has gone he has done about 30 min or more of cardio... and a little bit of weights also... just gotta get him to do a little bit more.. I am trying to get the fire lit .. after that it is up to him to help keep it burning...
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes late in his life, but he was able to keep it under control through diet. He never had to take insulin and other than watching what, how much, and how often he ate it really didn't affect his health. He has since passed on but the diabetes was not factor in his death.

Some 7 years ago, I was severely overweight and diagnosed with high blood pressure, sky-high cholesterol and triglycerides. So I started to diet and exercise and in a period of about 9 months I lost 55 pounds and have keep it off for 6 plus years and counting. Now my blood pressure is fine, cholesterol and triglycerides are good, and I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life (and that's counting high school and college). That's all through (in order of importance) diet, exercise and a few supplements.

So now is not the time for you to panic, but now IS the time for him to get serious and this diagnosis may be just the spark that he needs. I was at my lowest when I walked out of the doctor's office 7 years ago having just gotten all my numbers. But I made a choice, I was going get serious. My wife can attest to the fact that I'm a "head strong man." That can be really good because once this "head strong man" got serious about his health he has stayed serious and it has paid back in dividends I couldn't have imagined.

Mike
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    I'm living proof (and I'm 62) that taking the weight off through a change in eating habits and more exercise can reverse Type II diabetes. In one year I have been able to come off of my 3 blood pressure meds, my trigycerides med, and my metformin for the blood sugar. Here's my "Then & now" photo to prove it. Your husband can do it too. Get him into see his doctor ASAP! If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

223638_6418.jpg
  • I think everyone here has given you good advice. I have Type II and was in denial for a year or two (paying lip service and taking oral meds) but what they do not tell you in "plain talk" is how diabetes increases the probability of heart disease. Do not do what I did- take it seriously, do the meds (even insulin if needed) and encourage him to lose the weight which may lead to no diabetic symptoms.
    Good Luck!
  • Thank you .. ALL OF YOU.. your information has been very encouraging.. I am going to push for him to get his physical or at least talk to the DR before his Colonoscopy.. If he gets to stubborn then I will take matters into my own hands and make both appointments... LOL...
    He is always telling "if it makes u happy then do it" well He makes me happy and there fore He needs to do it .. . If not for himself then for me and for his son and step kids because My youngest needs him and I would be destroyed if anything happened to him... Luckily I can talk to him about pretty much anything... so I think we have some serious things to talk about ... He has goals to make and now needs to really start keeping track of what he eats...
    I figure until we can get his appointment then we can at least start with NO Sodas, NO sweets or sweet drinks, and I am going to start researching online for diet recommendations...

Thanks again for all the Support.... Hugs to everyone.. :flowerforyou:
  • I was diagnoses as type II diabetic a few years ago and recently went on insulin.

My advice is to ask your doctor to refer you to a diabetes educator. This is a nurse (RN) who has specialized in diabetes. A diabetes educator will be able to give you loads of information about diet and help you and your husband understand diabetes.

Here's a good article that you might find helpful to get you started. http://www.thedietchannel.com/Dietary-Tips-for-Diabetics.htm

Also, if your husband gets sick (cold, flu) don't give him the normal over the counter medications. Look for the ones that are specifically for diabetics or ask the pharmacist to recommend one for a diabetic. over the counter medications can cause a spike in blood sugar that is dangerous. I've been there and it's not normally something people think about until it happens.
  • Hey Everyone.. We have an update.. The official word is he is "borderline diabetic" so as a result the doctor gave him a blood test meter and he is to test 1-2 times a day... he is geting a referal for a dietician... and he is already working on logging and making some healthier choices... :smile: baby steps.. he works retail so he is on his feet all day at work and on breaks he is going to try and do a few more laps around the store while working ... and on his days off he is going to try and go to the gym with me for a hour so at least he will be working out for about 2 hours a week .. better than nothing... :bigsmile: I am really proud of him he is truely trying.... I am going to go with him to his appointments so I can help keep him on tracat least with the diet part .... he says " as long as it is good he will eat it" ... so I just have to make healthy taste good.. LOL
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Sounds like your on the way!! Good for him. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

(and you:heart: )
  • 34at35
    I know the name of that tune! Food has got to taste good. Take a look at what I've been eating. I don't eat anything that I'm not willing to eat for the rest of my life. In other words, it has to taste good.

As I told you earlier, the way my doctor put it was : " You're on the "slippery slope" to Type II diabetes." I'm not on that slope any longer, the slopes I'm back on are slippery with snow and the skiing is awesome!

Good Lucki to the both of you and tell him to keep moving. There is an old guy out in Colorado that beat it, you can too!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I had gestational diabetes with each of my three pregnancies, my mother and grandfather died of complications from it and now my husband is pre-diabetic. I'm here to tell you that diet and exercise NOW can keep the boogyman away. I do not intend to go out the way my mother and grandfather did and I am not letting my husband go that way without a fight. His doc says we're doing it right...

Some hints:

Get rid of the sugary stuff in the house-just don't have them around at all, ever. Get rid of all the processed carbs in the house. No white bread, white rice, and very, very limited potatoes (leave skin on). Use only whole grains because the length of time it takes for your body to digest them prevents huge, dangerous spikes in your sugar levels. Check every product for sugar content and get used to buying no sugar added, or low sugar products. Because I also eat natural and organic, I have to watch for artificial sweeteners. Stevia in the Raw is really good for sweetening cereals, coffee/tea, and making pies, etc. It does not spike the blood sugar. Fruit needs to be watched as well, as it is high in sugar (don't eliminate it, just don't go crazy with it like my husband used to). For snacks, we like almonds, yogurt, cottage cheese, raw veggies w/dip, berries, occasional fruit, popcorn, and whole wheat pita with hummus. and rye crisps with cheese. Eat every 3 hours to help keep the sugar/insulin levels even. Figure out what you're eating ahead of time (don't just ADD extra food to make the extra meals, like my husband did at first :noway: lol).

He's brought his sugar levels down to normal, made huge changes to his cholesterol, and exercises in some form, every single day.

It does work!
  • Hi I have only just started this program but I have dealt with this problem with my ex-husband who was just diagnosed with Diabetes 2. My second husband is a physician and so we have been helping my x. Bottom line you can easily reverse Diabetes 2 with diet and exercise. Keep your Carbs down to 40 grams per day and do strengh training. One of the easiest exercises is the plank. The plank is performed by getting down on the ground on your forearms and going on your toes holding you body straight as a plank. Buy a stop watch and have someone time you. Try to increse you time as you go along. I recommend 3x per week. Strengh training is still superior, however, if a facility is not available, walking and the plank is a good start. YOU CAN REVERSE DIABETES 2.

Good luck,

Sexy in my sixties.

P. S. My husband is 11 years younger then I . I can relate to finding a good man! You can volumize almost any meal with finely chopped veggies.
  • 34at35
    Hi I have only just started this program but I have dealt with this problem with my ex-husband who was just diagnosed with Diabetes 2. My second husband is a physician and so we have been helping my x. Bottom line you can easily reverse Diabetes 2 with diet and exercise. Keep your Carbs down to 40 grams per day and do strengh training. One of the easiest exercises is the plank. The plank is performed by getting down on the ground on your forearms and going on your toes holding you body straight as a plank. Buy a stop watch and have someone time you. Try to increse you time as you go along. I recommend 3x per week. Strengh training is still superior, however, if a facility is not available, walking and the plank is a good start. YOU CAN REVERSE DIABETES 2.

Good luck,

Sexy in my sixties.

P. S. My husband is 11 years younger then I . I can relate to finding a good man! You can volumize almost any meal with finely chopped veggies.

I agree that pre-Type II diabetes can be stopped and reversed through diet and exercise. I wish it was that easy for Type I diabetics. Let's pray that they find a cure for this disease soon. Maybe stem cell research will find the cure.

Here is some information that I found on the website EHow in an article entitled: "How Many Carbs Should a Diabetic Have Per Day?"

"According to the American Diabetes Association, 50 to 60 percent of all calories should come from carbohydrates, with fats being a quarter of the day's total and proteins making up the rest. Avoid high-fat foods since they slow carbohydrate absorption and can increase blood-glucose levels for an extended period of time. Focus on high-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts, as these items don't cause spikes in sugar levels by exiting the body quickly and not being absorbed into the intestinal tract. Get at least 25 grams, and preferably 50 grams, of dietary fiber every day. Overweight diabetics should consume fewer carbohydrates than normal-weight diabetics, but never consume less than 130 grams of carbohydrates for an entire day. Important nutrition could be lost, or blood-glucose levels could dip too low, leading to hypoglycemia."

"Do not get all your carbohydrates from one source. Eat a variety of proteins, fruits, vegetables and starches. A good rule is to keep carbohydrate totals from each group at roughly 12 to 15 grams per meal. "

"Eat the same amount of carbohydrates at every meal throughout the day, since this prevents blood-sugar spikes. If on a 180-gram carbohydrate diet, but you can't consume 60 grams of carbohydrates per meal three times a day, try smaller meals, say four 40-gram carbohydrate meals and a 20-gram snack. Always add grams from snacks to your daily carbohydrate total."

"If you are going to be more active one day, eat a few extra carbohydrates. One serving of 15 grams of carbohydrates before working out is usually enough to prevent hypoglycemia."
  • Very helpful information. Thanks! Irene
  • Well the husband is no officially on the meds.. he is now not just taking Lipitor for his blood presure, Simpicor for his Cholesterol, and a pill for his blood sugar to get it under control... :cry: I am trying to encourage him to lose weight but even though he is generally eating healthier foods (because that is what I am buying) he still has no concept of portion control, znd I can't get him to log his foods... I would log for him but if the amounts he tells me are not accurate then how much good is it going to do??? plus it just puts more stress on my shoulders which is not good for my weight loss ... I guess al lI can do is keep doing what I am doing, stock the house with heithier foods so he can't have easy access to the "bad stuff" .... Hope he will go to the gym with my at least once or twice a week, and maybe seeing me get results will encourage him to try harder.. I love him with all of my heart and soul and I am sooo scared that he will have a heart attack or something serious before he finally makes a change...
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    No worries! Diabetes is controllable. My mother and aunt both have it. No, diabetes will not usually go away (i don't think it will at all, but im not a dr.). It is controllable and much more life altering if you lose weight.
    talk to your dr, get to a diabetes support group and read, educate and stay calm.

One thing I have noticed a lot of diabetics do not understand is that it is not just sugar that will make your body go out of whack. Carbs turn into sugar in the body, so you need to closely watch them!! Arm your husband with a calorie/nutrition guide and take it one step at a time.
  • Hodie56
    Hodie56 Posts: 3 Member
    That is incredible news Ramon that you that you lost all that weight. How did you do it?

I weighed 257 in November and was diagnosed with Type II, ovaries were showing OSD due to diabetes, I have become insulin resistant and very tired. In Novever I was put on januvia for diabetes, sent to a diabetes education class and started exercising and eating heathy in Jan 10th 2010. I have lost 20lbs in three months, my cholesterol is better and my H1C is at 6.0, down from 6.4. My Dr says I need to lose another 16 lbs to get to a weight of 210 before we can think of eliminated some of my diabetic and choloesterol medicines. So that is my goal. It is amazing how you and I are so different in our diagnosis.

But once you have diabetes my Dr. says you can reverse the damage you have done and get off some of the medications, but will never be non-diabetic again. You have to keep up with a healthy lifestyle to prevent any future recurrance of Type II diabetes.

I have learned serveral tips since diagnosed, the biggest one being that Diet products particularly diet soda's actually increase your apetite. Aparently the Asparatine iw the one most often found in the study to do this, but it tricks your brain into thinking you are getting something sweet but there are no calories associated with it, so the body craves calories now. Since I stopped the diet products one week ago, I am able to eat alot less food.

Thanks All
    Lori

Thanks for listening
    Lori
This discussion has been closed.