I like to enjoy my workout.... HUH?!!!!!!

Options
I have a workout buddy who, for the last year has been doing the same thing day in and day out. So I said to her, why dont you ramp it up a little and push your body just a bit further each week. She got so stroppy with me and said, "I am sorry, I am not like you. I like to enjoy my gym sessions. I dont want it to hurt..and I dont want to lift weights because i dont want to be manly. Also I get so bored doing weights..."

There is so much wrong with that statement its unreal. I am not sure about you guys, but I should never "enjoy" my workout. I should be pushing so hard that my body is crying at me by the end of the session.
Dont even GET ME STARTED on the whole if I lift weights i will look manly. because quite frankly I may break something in frustration.
And I dont come to gym to be mentally stimulated or entertained. SO WHAT if its FREAKING boring. Its an hour of your day. get over it. I used to feel like weights were boring until one day I realised hey I was seeing results and thats more motivating to me then being entertained for an hour at the gym. Get results and get out of there.

WORST thing was she came to me the next day and complained for a abut half an hour, saying "I am just not seeing any results!" I could just cry.

Am I the only person who is part of the "dammnit I am here to work out, not chat, hit on/get hit on, leaves-the-gym-looking-like-a-wreck, if I dont look like rubbish I didnt train hard enough" team?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    She does have a point, in that one is likely to stick with a workout if it is something they enjoy. Enjoying the workout and pushing oneself hard aren't mutually exclusive, however. I loooove my workouts. Just not while I'm doing them.
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    She does have a point, in that one is likely to stick with a workout if it is something they enjoy. Enjoying the workout and pushing oneself hard aren't mutually exclusive, however. I loooove my workouts. Just not while I'm doing them.

This is true, You do need to enjoy a workout to stick with it. But I dont necessarily love the intensity of my workouts but I find its those ones you hate doing -Burpees, lunges, squats, planks-That get the greatest results. I would say that you should try and get a good balance of the two. Do 3 work outs a week that you really push yourself and two where you can do an exercise you enjoy.
    It just frustrates me hear her complain she isnt seeing results.
    If you do what you have always done expect the same results.
  • lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to stick to gym workouts as I'm easily distracted and don't have much motivation. If something is boring or not enjoyable to me, then it won't last long!

I've been doing pole fitness now for 18 months and am pretty obsessed with it, not only because it's fun, but because I finally see the results I've wanted for ages.

I don't think gym work outs are really for everyone, maybe she should try something that she enjoys that gives her that extra little push if she's not seeing the results?!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Sorry, but it is her life. Let her do it her own way.

Had to laugh at the stroppy remark. My GF is from the U.K. and calls me that all the time.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, you MUST change up your workouts to get results. And hit the weights- heavy in my opinion. I am seeing some great definition and gaining strength! I love working out, but that doesn't mean each day its my favorite thing to do.....sometimes you just have to suck it up and make yourself go. :)
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am more like your friend. I like to enjoy my workouts. Sometimes I push myself really hard because sometimes I enjoy that. Sometimes I don't because sometimes I don't feel like it. It's not necessary to push yourself to the point of being uncomfortable to be healthy.

The fact that you like to push yourself every day doesn't make you right or your friend wrong. You are doing what you like and she is doing what she likes. You are both likely reaping health benefits.

Why should it upset you that she has different preferences?
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think it takes a lot of dedication for people to stick with something that is hard for them. I love my workouts -- but not when i'm DOING IT!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she wants to enjoy it in the sense that she wants it to be all comfy cozy but still see amazing results. For me, and probably most of us, the enjoyment comes from the work, the sweat, the struggle of pushing ourselves harder, going faster - and yes, seeing amazing results because we worked hard.

She may just need to continue with zero results before she wakes up & realizes that she's got to get uncomfortable at some point in order to see any results. Hopefully she'll be convinced by someone or something that weights aren't going to bulk her up, and that there are enjoyable, fun workouts out there that get results.

Meanwhile I'm sure it's no fun to have her complain to you that she's not getting anywhere! Maybe if you keep having great results she'll realize and want to do what you're doing. :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to workouts I enjoy. But that is also because I focus heavily on types of workouts that simulate the same neurological sensory need that drives autistic stimming. By doing forms of workout that stimulate that same sensory need (high intensity calisthenics is one) I am enjoying it and getting in a great workout. That being said, if you're not pushing yourself, you won't see results. I know that, and I found something I enjoy that does push myself.

EDIT: I do make an exception when I can and try to incorporate heavy lifting sessions but due to motor control issues that vary by the day I can't make it a regular thing.
  • jcomley1
    Options
    I have a workout buddy who, for the last year has been doing the same thing day in and day out. So I said to her, why dont you ramp it up a little and push your body just a bit further each week. She got so stroppy with me and said, "I am sorry, I am not like you. I like to enjoy my gym sessions. I dont want it to hurt..and I dont want to lift weights because i dont want to be manly. Also I get so bored doing weights..."

There is so much wrong with that statement its unreal. I am not sure about you guys, but I should never "enjoy" my workout. I should be pushing so hard that my body is crying at me by the end of the session.
    Dont even GET ME STARTED on the whole if I lift weights i will look manly. because quite frankly I may break something in frustration.
    And I dont come to gym to be mentally stimulated or entertained. SO WHAT if its FREAKING boring. Its an hour of your day. get over it. I used to feel like weights were boring until one day I realised hey I was seeing results and thats more motivating to me then being entertained for an hour at the gym. Get results and get out of there.

WORST thing was she came to me the next day and complained for a abut half an hour, saying "I am just not seeing any results!" I could just cry.

Am I the only person who is part of the "dammnit I am here to work out, not chat, hit on/get hit on, leaves-the-gym-looking-like-a-wreck, if I dont look like rubbish I didnt train hard enough" team?

I am more like your friend. I like to enjoy my workouts. Sometimes I push myself really hard because sometimes I enjoy that. Sometimes I don't because sometimes I don't feel like it. It's not necessary to push yourself to the point of being uncomfortable to be healthy.

The fact that you like to push yourself every day doesn't make you right or your friend wrong. You are doing what you like and she is doing what she likes. You are both likely reaping health benefits.

Why should it upset you that she has different preferences?

Absolutely does not upset me. And I dont believe there is a set way to do things. You need to do whats right for you. People do do things differently and some things work for some that do not work for others. But What does upset me, is seeing her do the same thing day in and day out and then come to me frustrated because she isnt seeing results. I just wish she would give other things a try and change it up a little?
    Find what works for you!!
  • jcomley1
    Options
    I think it takes a lot of dedication for people to stick with something that is hard for them. I love my workouts -- but not when i'm DOING IT!

This is so true.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I just enjoy the pain of a good workout.

Not to mention the endorphins afterwards....
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    THIS is the part that would piss me off too...when someone says things like that, but then makes excuses when you suggest trying something different! I have a friend who keeps saying she just can't seem to lose weight, but insists that she works out and eats healthy (she WALKS a couple of days a week and then posts 'baking cookies with the kids...yummy" on Facebook three times a month).

Its really frustrating when people say they want to change, but really aren't willing to actually DO the work, but like others have said...its her life and if she's not willing to step outside of her comfort zone even a little bit, then she's never going to see big results! At least you know you tried to help :drinker:
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i enjoy my workout AFTER i'm done. some days i hate it more than anything in this world. other days (my good workout days) i enjoy it once i'm there.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If she wants to enjoy her workouts, that's one thing.

If she doesn't like the results she's getting, that's another thing. "Well, THERE'S your PROBLEM."

What's she doing? Elliptical? Maybe walking on an incline treadmill while hanging onto the bar and leaning back?

Keep encouraging her to try something new, something that gets her sweaty. Take her to Zumba?
  • Missita84
    Missita84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i think it's fine if she wants to work out that way. Whatever works for her, you know? But where I would definitely get frustrated, is when she gets mad at you for giving her advice, and then the very next day complain that she's not getting the results she wants! If she doesn't want to hear your advice, then she doesn't get to complain to you that her way isn't working for her!
  • jcomley1
    Options
    If she wants to enjoy her workouts, that's one thing.

If she doesn't like the results she's getting, that's another thing. "Well, THERE'S your PROBLEM."

What's she doing? Elliptical? Maybe walking on an incline treadmill while hanging onto the bar and leaning back?

Keep encouraging her to try something new, something that gets her sweaty. Take her to Zumba?

Ahhhh thats a fantastic idea... I LOVE zumba.
    :flowerforyou:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I do not lift weights and I know I should because I'm already seeing my Grandma in me. I need to tone it up some. So I will whine about it and whine about it (to myself of course) until I just break down and do it. But I agree with her it bores me to tears and if I'm bored I'm not going to do it. Doesn't matter that I know it's good for me,
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It's odd to hear "lifting weights is boring". I find it really interesting. Maybe not "exciting" but there are other way to engage with what you're doing. I enjoy paying attention to how my body feels and focusing on the motion. It can be meditative. It pushes everything out of your mind except the feeling of your body working. I don't use headphones or listen to music. I try not to chat too much with my lifting partner. I just focus on balance, form, breathing...

On the other hand, if you're doing a set of 20 bicep curls with 5# weights... no wonder you're bored.

Anyways good luck with taking her to Zumba!