Anyone else find this odd?

Options

Replies

• AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    the difference for me was......
    Facebook post ---- "i started a new C25K program, starting slow and working my way back to good health and fitness"
    Facebook comment --- "that isn't very smart, at your size your just going to get hurt!" (family member)
    Facebook comment--- "are you going to stick with it or give up like everything else" (family member)
    Facebook comment ---- "well maybe in a several years you will be able keep up me" (family member)
    Facebook post --- delete!
    Facebook post --- " i need some good music to listen to while running"
    Facebook comment
    ..................................... (crickets)

MFP post ---- "i started a new couch to 5K program, starting slow and working my way back to good health and fitness"
    MFP comment --- "awesome good job"
    MFP comment --- awesome keep us posted on your good work"
    MFP post --- "Day 1 week 1 --- walked most of the way"
    MFP comment --- " i had to walk most of the way my first time too!! but keep it up you will do awesome"
    MFP comment --"first day was a sucess!! you started the program!"
    MFP post ---- " i need some good music to listen to while running"
    MFP comment
    50 comments with awesome suggestions for beginning runners to experienced, to all out head banging, to 70's, 80's, 90's to techno!!!!!!

MFP people are awesome, honest, helpful, supportive, they build you up when you need it and bring you back down to earth when needed. Don't complain about gaining weight with your diary open because they will tell you why, stop losing and they will tell you why. Disappear off the wall and they will hunt you down and bring you back. Because they get it! It is not easy! I will give up! I will try hard! I will have bad days! I will eat a bag of chips! I will try new foods as suggested! My knees will hurt! And my clothes will get to big!

MFP people just get it!
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    the difference for me was......
    Facebook post ---- "i started a new C25K program, starting slow and working my way back to good health and fitness"
    Facebook comment --- "that isn't very smart, at your size your just going to get hurt!" (family member)
    Facebook comment--- "are you going to stick with it or give up like everything else" (family member)
    Facebook comment ---- "well maybe in a several years you will be able keep up me" (family member)
    Facebook post --- delete!
    Facebook post --- " i need some good music to listen to while running"
    Facebook comment
    ..................................... (crickets)

MFP post ---- "i started a new couch to 5K program, starting slow and working my way back to good health and fitness"
    MFP comment --- "awesome good job"
    MFP comment --- awesome keep us posted on your good work"
    MFP post --- "Day 1 week 1 --- walked most of the way"
    MFP comment --- " i had to walk most of the way my first time too!! but keep it up you will do awesome"
    MFP comment --"first day was a sucess!! you started the program!"
    MFP post ---- " i need some good music to listen to while running"
    MFP comment
    50 comments with awesome suggestions for beginning runners to experienced, to all out head banging, to 70's, 80's, 90's to techno!!!!!!

MFP people are awesome, honest, helpful, supportive, they build you up when you need it and bring you back down to earth when needed. Don't complain about gaining weight with your diary open because they will tell you why, stop losing and they will tell you why. Disappear off the wall and they will hunt you down and bring you back. Because they get it! It is not easy! I will give up! I will try hard! I will have bad days! I will eat a bag of chips! I will try new foods as suggested! My knees will hurt! And my clothes will get to big!

MFP people just get it!

Wow, its really sad that your family had those responses, but I am so happy you found this community and that you are able to get the support that everyone needs AND deserves. :)
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have just starting reading the message boards and it has greatly helped me because I respond to people who are going through the same thing I am and understand. Some of the questions that get asked or ones I want to and love to read the responses. MFP is the best thing that I have found that has helped me to change my lifestyle and really lose weight and feel great!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. I have to visit MFP every day to get the motivation I need.. most of the people around me are too busy trying to tempt me with food because they're upset that I'm actually DOING something about my obesity.

that's how I feel .. "you know you want it", or "oh come on 1 bite won't kill you"
    some times I turn down food, simply b/c I have no desire for it (some sweets and anything bagel)

I come on here and have a few friends, who support me all the way (good and bad, not just diet wise, but emotional crap too)

I wuv my MFP friends :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I am a "closet MFPer" :wink: I haven't told any friends or family that I am using it because I'd rather not hear the comments.

My husband is for the most part supportive of me working out and eating healthier, but I do get some annoying comments from time to time. For example, I subscribe to magazines like Oxygen, Fitness Rx, and Muscle and Fitness Hers, because I find them motivating and informative. However, the covers always have a muscular woman on them (which I think is awesome - not like the models on Shape or Health magazines), and my husband will look at the cover and say "That's not what you want to look like, is it?". The truth is I would love to look like that. I know it's not realistic because I don't have that much time to devote to the gym, but those fitness models sure keep me motivated!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    some poeple on here arent exactly nice either.

This is true sometimes though. This site is meant for support...
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    Completely agree. I have to visit MFP every day to get the motivation I need.. most of the people around me are too busy trying to tempt me with food because they're upset that I'm actually DOING something about my obesity.

Amen. I get done telling a friend that I have lost 7.5 pounds and am determined to keep going - she offers me a Coke and a bag of Famous Amos cookies.

*facepalm*
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    After reading some of your posts, does anyone else find it odd that complete strangers, on an internet message board, provide MORE encouragement, support and motivation to you... MORE than the people, friends, family, coworkers, etc. that you've known in real life for years, or maybe even your whole life?

"You're getting too skinny"
    "Eat more"
    "You need to gain some weight"
    "Stop losing weight"
    "You'll get sick" - lol @ this one, like obesity isn't a sickness and is completely normal. Obesity is so common that it's becoming "normal" to most people now.
    Or just generally giving you grief about your nutrition plan, exercising, being picky and conscious about your body, etc.

Humans can be a funny species sometimes. What's up with that?

At this point, I get lots of support from friends and family. However, I'm sure that once I get under the 150lbs mark, the negative comments will begin. My goal is 135-140lbs. I'm 5'4", so that translates to about a size 7/8 (MAYBE a 5/6 if I can get my bodyfat % low enough).
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    In my own life, the people around me are sitting in the same sick spot that we all were in for years, and they really don't appreciate the fact that I am going out of the box to find something better without them. They WANT to do it, and yet they just sit there and do nothing but judge me.

That is why I come here. The support and motivation can't be beat!

Good luck, and don't let the bastids getcha down!!!! :)

I agree, noone understands how daunting it can be to track your food EVERY day and to expose it to the internet.
    You have to be "IN IT" to appreciate the journey.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    Completely! I've even lost a good friend over how I'm losing weight and choosing to be healthier and her "not being bothered". I guess when we are all doing the same thing and having the same goals we can be more encouraging to one another.
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    Man, can I relate to that. Lots of the people who I'm closest to have started calling me "obsessed". I go to the gym for one hour a day, which is the minimum recommended daily cardio amount, and I watch what I eat. And I'm obsessed. Heaven forbid I turn town some kind of fattening food or a 3rd beer when everyone else is indulging. "What's wrong with you?" "Geez, live a little! Stop being so hard on yourself! It's just food!" And then I want to say "Exactly. It's just food And I don't want it, so leave me alone."

MFP is where I find my support. Mostly everyone in my "real life" is tired of me "obsessing" about my weight.
  • missxh0llywo0d
    missxh0llywo0d Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I SO thought I was the only one who felt like this! Thanks for posting this. Now I can see that I'm not alone. My family likes to go out to eat a lot and if they're not eating out, they cook things like burgers or barbque chicken or just generally unhealthy meals and they make me feel bad for not wanting to go out or eat what they're eating. Then they tell me that I need to lose weight?!? Then when I do they harass me about HOW I am losing it... that I'm not eating enough (1200 calories)!!

It just seems kind of sad that complete strangers are the ones who ultimately support us more... and what I find even more ironic about that (for me anyways), is that BEFORE, I always felt like it was the STRANGERS who were judging me and my FAMILY who supported me. Anyone else?
  • missxh0llywo0d
    missxh0llywo0d Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    And then I want to say "Exactly. It's just food And I don't want it, so leave me alone."

THIS! I love this! I might end up having to steal this defense from you. It's crazy how people will try to guilt you into eating more food/drinks!
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Although my family isn't as supportive as people here on MFP and that can be frustrating, I try not to let it get to me too much. I think my change in lifestyle intimidates them. After all, when you see someone eating healthier than you everyday it's going to make you exam your own eating habits and compare, right? It think my family has some negative feelings because it's making them uncomfortable, so I don't push for support to much. I have friends on here that encourage me, and maybe I can cause a positive change in them with time.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options

Amen. I get done telling a friend that I have lost 7.5 pounds and am determined to keep going - she offers me a Coke and a bag of Famous Amos cookies.

*facepalm*

You should have clunked her on the head with the bag of cookies...lol!!! With friends like that who needs enemies.... :huh:
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Actually I've gotten encouragement from here, my wonderful MFP and my friends & family :)
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    And then I want to say "Exactly. It's just food And I don't want it, so leave me alone."

THIS! I love this! I might end up having to steal this defense from you. It's crazy how people will try to guilt you into eating more food/drinks!

Feel free to steal it! I don't know what else to say to them! I mean seriously, why do people make it such a big deal?!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    It just goes to show that some of us are surrounded by enablers and haters!!! Usually family members are the enablers...you know the ones who have a weight issue themselves or they have an emotional need to keep you stuck in the same old patterns. The friends tend to be the haters... they also may have a weight issue or sometimes they just enjoy feeling superior to you because you're the "fat friend". Whats worse is when the person is both an enabler and a hater...because they will intentionally discourage you for their own fulfillment.

So be thankfull if you have support...and if you don't find it here!!!
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    :devil: Beware the food pimps!!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think A LOT of it boils down to jealousy. You're looking more fit and healthy because you've changed your lifestyle. Your friends and family also want to look and feel better but may not yet be willing to do what it takes. So rather than buckle down themselves, they try to knock you off the wagon. (Lots of metaphors there, I know!) Everyone here is working hard toward shared goals. We all want to see each other do well because that tells us this works. I also LOVE all the recipe and exercise tips people here provide. I can't get enough new ideas! I talk about this site to my friends and family all the time, but I don't know if any have tried it out yet. I am loving it!